Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Planner getting better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Friends,

I am gearing up to go on a long road trip again. I have used ABRP in the past--but haven't travelled for a bit. Wondering if the build in Trip Planner is getting better, or if ABRP is still far superior? Does Trip Planner account for weather and things like that, given that it can access all that data from inside the car? Interested to hear others experience over the last 6-12 months with Trip Planner improvements!

Are you talking about the built-in nav?

I use both the built-in nav and ABRP simultaneously.

The built-in nav doesn't yet support specific waypoints or easily (or maybe at all) adjust charging stops and see what the impact to arrival SOC and travel time ends up being* (* or at least I don't know how to do this if it can!)

But I know that the built-in nav will precondition the battery if I am navigating to a Supercharger, and it also enables the use of the energy app in Trip mode which is especially helpful in tracking whether you are driving above or below it's predicted efficiency (helpful for peace of mind as you drive towards the next Supercharger). Also there is no beating the map display and turn-by-turn directions.

On the negative side, I have found the built-in nav to be very pessimistic when it comes to both arrival SOC and how long it wants you to stay at a charging stop. So I use ABRP for that. I find it to be spot on with SOC arrival predictions (especially since I have it set up to monitor my vehicle while driving and it can dynamically adjust it's prediction). It also has an excellent capability to tell you when it's time to leave a charging spot. And possibly the most useful feature I use is the ability to select alternate Supercharger stops if you decide you need a break earlier, or you want to try to push it to the next stop. Plus, yes, it can account for weather and additional weight

But ABRP in the vehicle's web browser is problematic. Yes, it does a pretty good job of coming up in the correct state with the current route/plan in place, but the browser always prompts me to allow it to access the vehicle's location (obviously important!) but by the time I select ALLOW, the site loads and it complains that I am not on the route, attempts to replan, and then I have to reset my preferences for which charger I want to stop at, etc. And then when I want to check on the car's Energy display (yes, I realize ABRP has one of its own), or check out the car's nav system (ABRP's nav is okay, but pretty laggy and doesn't give you all the information the built-in nav gives), or even select a new podcast in TuneIn, I need to start all over again. So I usually just bring ABRP up on my phone. That works for me.