Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Planner in V7 - Any Improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the opposite experience where now it's not even usable, and I had to disable it.

Last Sunday I went to Portland and used Trip planner to plan the route the Portland. That portion has always worked just fine. It routes me to Centralia, and then I charge there. I typically do a 95-100% charge in Centralia so I can get to Portland, and back to Centralia without having to charge again (it's a 70D). That portion worked fine, but wasn't the TEST.

The TEST was coming back from Portland. What V6.2 would do in Portland is it would route me to Woodburn even if I could get to Centralia with >10% range. So I've always had to route directly to Centralia. This time it did exactly the same thing (no improvement), but when I went to route directly to Centralia it just gave me the busy circle and wouldn't route. I did have internet connectivity and I could stream music, and browse the web so it was a software glitch with the trip planner.

The only option was to Cancel, and the only way to have it navigate me to Centralia was to turn off trip planner. I turned it off and I arrived in Centralia with 14-15%. Typically I drive in a manner where I'm careful, and then once I have that >15% buffer or so I speed up. There are places I can charge on the way if I really need to.

I don't think I've ever had a positive experience with trip planner. My last experience with trip planner on V6.2 is it completely forgot about the super charger in Centralia until I was 10 miles away from it. It kept trying to route me to the Dalles like there was something wrong with the Supercharger in Centralia.

Trip planner is a joke. EVTripplanner.com that a 17 year old kid made did a better job then this. It amazes me how Elon made such a big deal about "Ending Range Anxiety" turned out to be such a flop- in some cases, it would have unnecessarily CAUSED range anxiety if I were to follow it, as my trip last month it wanted to re route me an additional 56 miles to a supercharger I didn't even need to use. It also seems Tesla abandoned its efforts to improve it.

The real question is: Did it actually END range anxiety like Elon said it would? I doubt anyone could agree with that.

Odd. I find Tesla's Trip Planner to be far more accurate than EV Trip Planner. On a recent trip to Sedona, it did not route me to my local Supercharger first, which it always used to do. So that's an improvement.

However, the Navigation really needs to offer multiple way points in order to make Trip Planner actually useful. For instance, I recently drove from my house in Buckeye, AZ to Sedona, then to Jerome, then back home. Unfortunately, since only one destination could be input, Trip Planner would route me to a supercharger and tell me how much I needed to charge to reach my destination. Except, that did not tell me if I had enough charge to continue from Sedona to Jerome, and then home. There are no chargers conveniently available between Sedona and Jerome, so it would be important for me to know how much charge to pick up along the way to ensure I could make it not just to Sedona, but also the other two destinations.

Nav should let me input as many destinations as I want, calculate the range required, and then route to the appropriate Superchargers for the entire trip.

I take back everything I said. On the return journey, I got most of the stupid nav bugs back. I had a planned supercharger stop for 0 minutes and a variety of dumb choices. The only bug that really appears to be corrected is the one where it used to lock up when you stopped mid journey for a break. Sigh.

I take back everything I said. On the return journey, I got most of the stupid nav bugs back. I had a planned supercharger stop for 0 minutes and a variety of dumb choices. The only bug that really appears to be corrected is the one where it used to lock up when you stopped mid journey for a break. Sigh.
Really sucks to hear that. Hope you reported that. I'm sure if they can look at logs/gps coord it will be much easier for them. I have a feeling they mostly test in CA with 10's of superchargers around :)

That got fixed on the later 6.2 builds. On 2.4.?? I had that happen, but last week on 2.5.44 it worked fine. No needing to reboot or cancel the trip and rekey.

Driving east from Barstow today on I-40 to Needles. Road construction whereby the west-bound lanes were closed and east bound re-routed over to the west-bound side. So I'm driving along with no range concerns, 22% reserve indicated at destination, when all of a sudden the reserve drops to 5% and a warning to drive slowly comes up. Nothing else. Because I knew I was ok, I let it ride. The reserve continued to drop as I approached Needles. Obviously, the wonderful trip planner software assumed that if the car was in the westbound lane, it would have to continue west until a U could be executed. Even though I had moved back to the east bound lanes. Most GPS systems I've used update on the fly. Not when in Trip Planner, apparently.

Obviously, the wonderful trip planner software assumed that if the car was in the westbound lane, it would have to continue west until a U could be executed. Even though I had moved back to the east bound lanes. Most GPS systems I've used update on the fly. Not when in Trip Planner, apparently.
That implies that it looks at where you are, but doesn't register your direction of travel!

I saw a strange thing with the mapping the other day. Destination was set and the blue line appeared on the map. Along the way, I traveled through a very new section of highway that bypasses the old route for a few km's before joining it again. The Google mapping showed the new route correctly (a surprise in itself) with me on it, but the blue mapping line followed the now invisible old highway alignment. It makes me wonder how it does the route analysis if it isn't (apparently) following the Google mapping reliably. The only answer I can think of is that there must be another layer of data on Google that looks after the routing and it hadn't been updated to the graphical depiction. I'll keep watching this section to see if the blue line moves over!

There is no way to calculate a round trip from the start of your journey, is there?

No, not with Trip Planner, but even if there were, a round-trip would not take into account the 2nd destination. Phoenix to Sedona is one leg, then Sedona to Jerome is another leg, then Jerome to home is a third leg. A round-trip estimate would only get me to Sedona and back, not allow for a detour to Jerome.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm left scratching my head trying to figure out what the programmers at Tesla are doing.

No, not with Trip Planner, but even if there were, a round-trip would not take into account the 2nd destination. Phoenix to Sedona is one leg, then Sedona to Jerome is another leg, then Jerome to home is a third leg. A round-trip estimate would only get me to Sedona and back, not allow for a detour to Jerome.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm left scratching my head trying to figure out what the programmers at Tesla are doing.

@AmpedRealtor - since I asked that question, I discovered that you can tap the ETA section of the directions to get a round trip energy usage estimate. Haven't had a chance to try this out, but do you or anyone else know if that provides round trip routing too? Or just a guess on round trip energy usage?

Thanks

@AmpedRealtor - since I asked that question, I discovered that you can tap the ETA section of the directions to get a round trip energy usage estimate. Haven't had a chance to try this out, but do you or anyone else know if that provides round trip routing too? Or just a guess on round trip energy usage?

Thanks

It just provides a round trip energy usage percentage.

Thanks
As near as I can tell, it just does an energy calculation and it doesn't show up on the mapping. And in fact, many times you'll see that the return will leave you with a negative amount of charge remaining... i.e., you won't make it and the trip planner hasn't offered charging suggestions (which it tends to do without hesitation and with redundancy on the first half of a round trip!! :rolleyes:).

When travelling back to Belgium from Denmark, I decided to try the trip planner. First proposed stop was for 0 minutes of charging; I switched it off again...
That one irks me as well

It feels like an adoption blocker as it is so blatantly wrong and it is the first thing you see. Makes you distrust the system right off the bat.

Several folks mention this one as one of their top adoption barriers to using the Tesla nav vs Waze or Google mobile

I would prioritize bugs like those as they add the most angst.