Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Planner performance is suboptimal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently went for a long drive in my new Model Y, performance model. I ran into few problems that I thought could be easily fixed. I am not sur why Tesla still havent addressed these problem.

1. Initially the trip planner showed me 2 super charging stops. The first stop was after 3 hour and I will be left with 5% charge. That was not very comforting to start with. Then it suggested me to stay below 65mph in a long stretch that is 70mph in order to reach destination. So it kept my speed at around 62mph and kept going. The battery % at destination kept dropping and it went to 3%. I also had to take few detour due to rad closer which Tesla didnt take into account. I figured it wont be possible for me to reach to destination comfortably with even like 10 mph slower speed. So I had to take a detour and hit a nearby super charger to get more charge and continue my journey. My question i) why the trip planner could not suggest better super charger that could give me more peace of mind? ii) is there a way to set a charging profile so I dont reach destination at such a low charge?
iii) what happens if it appears I cannt reach to next super charger with draining all my battery? Does the trip planner automatically adjust super charging stops to include other nearby super chargers?

2. The speed limit in my display screen was off lot of time by 4 to 10 miles. It doesnt sync up with posted speed limit right aways. Often it continues showing lower speed limit by 10 miles for a long time. Is this an expected behavior?

Did you plan a trial trip with ABRP before hand to get a better feel for the route and options you may have? I do that for any trip I’m not familiar with or the weather is iffy. It’s a great way to provide a sanity check to your route planning.

If you don't like how it plans you don't have to follow it. I just enter my destination in the navigation. I then display superchargers and choose one on my route that is far enough to advance on my trip yet close enough that I can make it at around 15-20% SOC left. While charging choose your next stop for the leg length you feel like driving and charge just enough to make it there with say 15%. Bingo, an efficient trip where you stop where you want.

I recently went for a long drive in my new Model Y, performance model. I ran into few problems that I thought could be easily fixed. I am not sur why Tesla still havent addressed these problem.

1. Initially the trip planner showed me 2 super charging stops. The first stop was after 3 hour and I will be left with 5% charge. That was not very comforting to start with. Then it suggested me to stay below 65mph in a long stretch that is 70mph in order to reach destination. So it kept my speed at around 62mph and kept going. The battery % at destination kept dropping and it went to 3%. I also had to take few detour due to rad closer which Tesla didnt take into account. I figured it wont be possible for me to reach to destination comfortably with even like 10 mph slower speed. So I had to take a detour and hit a nearby super charger to get more charge and continue my journey. My question i) why the trip planner could not suggest better super charger that could give me more peace of mind? ii) is there a way to set a charging profile so I dont reach destination at such a low charge?
iii) what happens if it appears I cannt reach to next super charger with draining all my battery? Does the trip planner automatically adjust super charging stops to include other nearby super chargers?

2. The speed limit in my display screen was off lot of time by 4 to 10 miles. It doesnt sync up with posted speed limit right aways. Often it continues showing lower speed limit by 10 miles for a long time. Is this an expected behavior?

Problem 2 is part of what caused problem 1. The route planner uses speed limit data to calculate power consumption along your route. If the car has incorrect speed limit data it will throw off the power consumption calculation by a large amount. It sounds like the map data the car is using is way off from reality and that caused an over optimistic power consumption estimate.

Keith