Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Planning Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next month we are going to visit my in-laws, which we tend to do every summer. Catch is this summer we are using our P90X, and the trip is about 950km.
Before we bought the 2016 model X, we knew the major drawback would be long distance travel, however we were up for just dividing the trip up into one or 2 nights as we have 2 small kids and a huge dog and leisurely making our way ato them. However now with COVID, we really do not want to overnight anywhere. So we have decided to do it in a day.

So my questions/
1. Do most here use a better trip planner? If so, do you load that on phone, and run Tesla trip planner in vehicle?
2. Is a better trip planner accurate?
3. We have Chademo (in case) and a Nema 14-50 . Anything else we need asides for sanity to do this?

The car's nav will work great for Superchargers. If you are unsure, you can always sit at the SC a little longer than recommended. When the wife and I drove DFW to Phila, it was our first really long trip. Two days. On the way out, I waited for the car nav to show arriving with 15-20% charge instead of 10-15%. It made me more confident but was un necessary.

Reactions: Ocelot
Use abetterrouteplanner.com for planning the overall trip. Then use the in-car planner for each segment depending when driving to find the next charger you’re going to stop and and know how long to charge. And remember your fastest charging will be to arrive at the charger with less that 20% (or 10% if you aren’t nervous) and charge just enough to get to your next stop (with small buffer).

Reactions: Vawlkus and Ocelot
The Tesla built in Navigation systems is fairly accurate in making its estimates on distance and charge remaining ( miles left) and it keeps updating it in real time. The key factors that affect range is ( a) weight you are carrying in the car including passengers (b) wind resistance - head wind or tail wind and (c) elevation changes (d) external weather - a/c or heater usage. The Tesla navigation systems is fairly reliable ,but as my wife says always have other sw downloaded in your phone like Charge point, EVgo etc so that you know you alternatives and have the peace of mind. Best of luck and enjoy the trip.

950km should be easy for P90X, just easy on your throttle drive at steady 105km/h it will ended up saving you greater time than waiting longer at Superchargers. I’ve done similar trip from west end of GTA to Mont Tremblant, made two stops, one longer one at Kingston while having quick brunch, and another one at Ottawa. Entire trip took us about 8hrs in Model S 75D which should have similar range as your X

Next month we are going to visit my in-laws, which we tend to do every summer. Catch is this summer we are using our P90X, and the trip is about 950km.
Before we bought the 2016 model X, we knew the major drawback would be long distance travel, however we were up for just dividing the trip up into one or 2 nights as we have 2 small kids and a huge dog and leisurely making our way ato them. However now with COVID, we really do not want to overnight anywhere. So we have decided to do it in a day.

So my questions/
1. Do most here use a better trip planner? If so, do you load that on phone, and run Tesla trip planner in vehicle?
2. Is a better trip planner accurate?
3. We have Chademo (in case) and a Nema 14-50 . Anything else we need asides for sanity to do this?
I have an S90D and do a Toronto to Oceanside, NY regularly, which is about 850km. I have done the trip different ways, with a stop at Tesla friendly hotel and straight through. When I first got my car I would use every possible online route planner before the trip and now I just fully rely on the Tesla Nav. Works great for me and I have never run into an issue. However, travelling within Canada can be a bit more challenging because not all areas have Superchargers, so if I knew your start and end point, I’d have a better idea of your drive.