Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Planning Site w/ Lowered SC Rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

Trying to plan ahead for end of the year holiday travels. Starting to go through and compare flight/rental costs into different airports vs driving with ICE vs driving with Model S.

I haven't done a road-trip since March 2018 but last time I checked (Jan) I believe my 85D is in the "capped at 80 kW" Chargegate camp. As such, I don't know how overly-optimistic the current sites (ABRP, EVTripPlanner) are.

Are there any sites that allow you to specify a universal maximum charging rate on the Superchargers when calculating a trip? I saw the option on ABRP, but it was requiring me to enter a specified time associated with the lower charging rate for each specific SC. My route involves approx 11 SC's, so that's a lot of manual calculation I'd rather have as a universal setting, next to the "min/max battery charge" fields.

• Love
Reactions: Chaserr
How off do you think the estimate for charging speed is? I haven't used ABRP in a while, but it seems accurate within 5-10 minutes.

Have you tracked your charges using TeslaFi? It is a good resource to give you historical data on how long it takes you to charge from various SoCs. I budget about 45 minutes for stops. I can budget longer if I am stopping for a meal, but I have not personally taken a trip where I supercharged more than twice in a day.

Email [email protected] the lead Dev at A Better Route planner. The site would be useful again if they could add a "Chargegate" option to improve time estimates.

@beatle if you aren't batterygated yet it's always been an accurate estimate but for anyone Tesla with batterygate limits it's wrong by 30-45 minutes if not more, and we need to charge more often so the extra times add up. It's especially bad if you need to charge over 80% to make the next leg of the trip with decreased range - higher SOC can add another hour and Tesla's in car estimate doesn't even account for that.

They had a Blog post showing different stages of limits over the last year so they already have the data and are aware of the longer charge times.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrbiterTI4
How off do you think the estimate for charging speed is? I haven't used ABRP in a while, but it seems accurate within 5-10 minutes.

Have you tracked your charges using TeslaFi? It is a good resource to give you historical data on how long it takes you to charge from various SoCs. I budget about 45 minutes for stops. I can budget longer if I am stopping for a meal, but I have not personally taken a trip where I supercharged more than twice in a day.
Current one-way route predictions:

SC Route, Car: 1160 mi, 16.5 hrs + 6 hrs charge (at 8 SCs, 2x30/2x45/2x60/75 min)
SC Route, ABRP: 1175 mi, 18.5 hrs + 6 hrs charge (at 10 SCs, 10/15/2x20/3x30/2x60/80 min)

I don't use TeslaFi. I did a single supercharge session in Jan2020 was to see if I was part of the chargegate capping, and as my initial rate for a 7% SoC was 80kW, I believe I am.

My fear is exactly as you state - if the car and ABRP are off by 10 minutes at each charge because I'm only getting 80 kW instead of 120 kW at the start, it quickly rolls up to 2 hours of extra travel time.

I don't believe any trip planners have accounted for the slower Supercharging performance that many pre-100D battery pack owners are experiencing. Our 2013 S85 would fairly consistently charge from SOC% 10-80 in roughly 45 minutes. I would stop charging once the charging rate dropped below 40kW as I felt my time was better spent driving towards my destination rather than charging at a "slow rate." July 2019 came around and I thought my car was broken. I would see charging rates from 8-128kW with an average initial charging rate of 90kW with a fairly quick tapper. In the interest of my time, I now hit the road before 70% SOC to get to the next Supercharger. Typically we don't drive more than 500 miles so the longer charging times aren't a dealbreaker.

One thing I do on ABRP and EVTO to account for longer charging sessions is I changed the max charging speed on EVTO settings to "70kW," and I increase the "Charge Postioning" time by 10 minutes since on average I expect to spend 5-8 extra minutes per Supercharger lot. Definitely do not use the Tesla on-board trip planner for an accurate time estimate...especially if you need to charge to an SOC% above 60.

Reactions: OrbiterTI4
I am not sure if I am capped, but I rarely see charging rates above 80kw. My only supercharging data point this year is at an urban station and it took 75 minutes to go from 15% to 89%.

Last year after Thanksgiving I was able to get above 100kw for a little while when under 20%, but typically my charges have not been from such low SoC, nor have they been over 80%.

Email [email protected] the lead Dev at A Better Route planner. The site would be useful again if they could add a "Chargegate" option to improve time estimates.

@beatle if you aren't batterygated yet it's always been an accurate estimate but for anyone Tesla with batterygate limits it's wrong by 30-45 minutes if not more, and we need to charge more often so the extra times add up. It's especially bad if you need to charge over 80% to make the next leg of the trip with decreased range - higher SOC can add another hour and Tesla's in car estimate doesn't even account for that.

They had a Blog post showing different stages of limits over the last year so they already have the data and are aware of the longer charge times.

I thought ABRP already had that feature, but i just checked again. "Limited Supercharging Speed" seems to be only available for 90 and 100 packs.

• Informative
In the absence of an immediate ABRP update, I switched to a 90D Limited Supercharging Speed (with an increased degradation to account for the battery pack difference) to try and better reflect charging, and the first calc added an hour from my normal 85D route, so a decent workaround. Thanks all.

...I would stop charging once the charging rate dropped below 40kW as I felt my time was better spent driving towards my destination rather than charging at a "slow rate."...

Got a new data point on Saturday. Charged from 45% to 67%, where rates started at 62kW and dropped to 40kW at time of unplugging. Sadly, the route I'm looking at needs 80-90% to make it SC to SC...:(

Got a new data point on Saturday. Charged from 45% to 67%, where rates started at 62kW and dropped to 40kW at time of unplugging. Sadly, the route I'm looking at needs 80-90% to make it SC to SC...:(

That is unfortunate. Luckily throughout my Tesla experience in southern California, I've always had the option to charge below 80% to make it my next SuC, unless I wanted to charge a little more and skip a few locations. Having to wait to charge beyond 85% would strongly encourage me to take a nap or go to a sit-down meal. Getting beyond 90% in our S85 would take well over an hour...possibly two hours.