Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip planning software of choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to make my third long road trip in my Model 3 DM/LR. So far, I've found the online AAA TripTik to provide the best routing details (including SuperChargers), but it cannot help me determine my range and which SCs I need to include. What do some of you use for trip planning that can figure range and charging as well as routing? Thanks.

Hands down you will find ABRP as the recommended solution for trip planning:

I've used ABRP before but it can be a hassle setting it up and the interface leaves something to be desired (in my opinion). I've found the in car nav does a pretty good job at routing and scheduling charging. I use google maps prior to the trip to see the general route and then plug my destination in the car when I'm taking off in the morning (and let it plan the route....it has always selected the same route as Google).

Reactions: Carolina Karl
I use ABRP to get an idea of how long the day's leg is going to take and where I might be stopping, however it is a little optimistic on overall time vs the cars Nav. It also seems beyond optimistic on the charging costs so I just ignore that.

But in actuality I just put the day's destination in the cars Nav and follow that.
Works fine.

On a side note, I have found that if Google Maps tells me it would take 8.5 hours of driving, I mentally add two 15 minute restroom stops to that and a 45 minute lunch, taking it to 9hrs 45 mins in a gas car. In the Tesla that same trip which may or may not inclde a third charge/rest stop takes us 10hrs 15mins so the experience isn't much different to a gas car trip.

Oh, and the Tesla Nav *seems* to use the current local time when displaying your route, so if you start in one timezone, and end in another, the times shown will represent the timezone you are in the moment you are looking at it. This caught me out once when I figured we it said we would arrive at 8pm but in reality, due to that timezone being an hour ahead of where we started, meant we actually arrived at 9pm destination time.