Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Planning with No Superchargers on the southern US route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife asked about driving to a family reunion of hers in Texas. Based on the EVPlanner it looks like we can do the trip fairly easily up through Flagstaff. After that I think I'm stuck on the freeway some 250 miles down the road....

We would be headed towards Wichita Falls, which is in North Central Texas. It looks like I need to figure out if it's feasible to go that last ~750 miles. It looks like the route takes me along I-40 (with a piece of Rte 66) to US 287. It looks like a very long day or day and a half. Maybe there's somewhere at the I-40 / US 287 exchange to stay, but I'll still need to charge along that segment and I would prefer something that could charge reasonably fast. Unfortunately, it looks like the superchargers are still some ways away although some may be showing up this year.

I've got until June to figure this out... well maybe more like a couple weeks as the alternative is to burn up some commercial jet fuel.

Any ideas??:confused:

Why is Flagstaff the last Supercharger? You can also use Holbrook and Gallup to get you a little farther.

Gallup -> Santa Rosa RV Park (254 miles) - that's definitely pushing the range but you can top off somewhere in Albuquerque. After an overnight charge, then you should be able to make it to Amarillo (170 miles) for a long day charge to get the 225 miles to make it to Wichita Falls.

Last edited:
My wife asked about driving to a family reunion of hers in Texas. Based on the EVPlanner it looks like we can do the trip fairly easily up through Flagstaff. After that I think I'm stuck on the freeway some 250 miles down the road....

We would be headed towards Wichita Falls, which is in North Central Texas. It looks like I need to figure out if it's feasible to go that last ~750 miles. It looks like the route takes me along I-40 (with a piece of Rte 66) to US 287. It looks like a very long day or day and a half. Maybe there's somewhere at the I-40 / US 287 exchange to stay, but I'll still need to charge along that segment and I would prefer something that could charge reasonably fast. Unfortunately, it looks like the superchargers are still some ways away although some may be showing up this year.

I've got until June to figure this out... well maybe more like a couple weeks as the alternative is to burn up some commercial jet fuel.

Any ideas??:confused:

Well, at least take I-40 as far a Gallup, NM and enjoy the Superchargers in Holbrook, AZ and Gallup, NM. Gallup, NM to Wichita Falls, TX - Google Maps That still leaves you 644 Miles. If the time works for you, I would try to hit Gallup in the afternoon and charge until you are almost at 100%. In an 85, the optimum point to stop on the Supercharger and head down the road to a 14-50, is at about 20 Amps Supercharger current. At that point, you will have 250-260 rated miles. If the winds are not horrible, and you drive at 60 or less, it should be easy to go 200 real miles or more before stopping for the night. If you can find an RV park with cabins or an RV park near a motel, then that is the best point for a 100% charge overnight.

Now you have 444 miles to go with over 255 rated miles in the battery. If you can find two, well-spaced RV parks on your route, you are probably going to need something like 8 hours of 14-50 charging to get to your destination. See if you can find RV Parks near something to do. It may be hard, but slowing down your driving speed will get your their faster because you need less charge time. Think 50 MPH as the Holy Grail, if you can do it.

This is a challenge, but doable... :cool:

Hmmm... I'm thinking that something happened, because you're right. I did flag stops in Gallup and I must have missed the translation. I'm saving it off to a spreadsheet so I can figure out the days.

Where could I find info on places like the RV Park?

Thanks for the info, BTW. This is a little more challenging than my traditional road trips

Hmmm... I'm thinking that something happened, because you're right. I did flag stops in Gallup and I must have missed the translation. I'm saving it off to a spreadsheet so I can figure out the days.

Thanks for the info, BTW. This is a little more challenging than my traditional road trips

EV road tripping without Superchargers can be a great, satisfying adventure, or it can be a real pain in the ass. It depends on your point of view.

There are RV Park specific web sites, but I have had good luck with Google Maps and searching for "RV Park." Look for 50 Amp service, and call ahead. Most are cooperative, but others are not. If they ask, you will use about a dollar an hour of electricity at typical electric rates. Also, many RV Parks are listed in PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map. This is a user supported web site with EV charging specific info. Sign up and you will get access to private charge points, and can leave your own comments to help others. If you have dual chargers, there are even a few 80-Amp HPWCs and high Amp J1772's out in the wild.

Too bad it's not the end of 2014; Supercharger | Tesla Motors claims to have a string of Superchargers in place for you down I-40 by then.

I do have plug share. I just didn't consider it. I know the rough route, I just didn't consider it.

Yea, I'm thinking that this may be a "next year" trip. I just know how I drive and trying to go 50 just won't work very well for me. Not to mention I've been on I-40 before and I don't think I'd be too comfortable with that pace. I may check with ownership to see if there's any more details on when things will happen on I-40.

Thanks for the pointer.

Allstays is a good website/app for finding RV parks and filtering by 50A service. As mentioned above, definitely call ahead and arrange it and ask how much they charge so they have time to think about that. Then also call the day before you arrive to reconfirm.

Last edited:
Allstays is a good website/app for finding RV parks and filtering by 50A service. As mentioned above, definitely call ahead and arrange it and ask how much they charge so they have time to think about that. Then also call the day before you arrive to reconfirm.

I was also going to recommend Allstays... There are a lot of RV parks with 50A that are not yet on PlugShare (once you successfully charge at an RV Park, please add it to PlugShare with details on cost if any...)

Only annoying part of Allstays is that the easiest way to find 50A RV parks is to start with a map of a state, then filter for 50A service. I'd keep two tabs open - one with a map of NM and the other with a TX map and then look along your route for parks to use... Call them and see if they have a charging rate; worst case is pay their daily rate...

Tesla friendly BB in Amarillo

Another Tesla owner asked for this B&B in Amarillo to install 240v 50 amp service, and they did. The challenge will be getting from Gallup to Amarillo.

Amarillo to Wichita Falls is about 225 miles, but it is DOWNHILL , and the prevailing wind will be to your back. The return trip may need topping off your batteries in Childress. Childress should be a 2015 Supercharger site. Amarillo is a 2014 supercharger site, but as far as I can tell no location has broken ground.

If you do come through, look me up, & good luck!