Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip planning - Yakima, WA to Bend, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - I'm planning a trip from Yakima, WA to Bend, OR in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone else has route/charging recommendations. This is my first big trip and I'm feeling a bit of range anxiety. In an ICE vehicle I would normally take hwy 97 all the way but since I need to charge I'm considering a slight detour to the SC in the Dalles and taking hwy 197 to Bend. Anyone done this route before and have recommendations? Does what I have planned sound like the best route? It would be great if I could just charge in Biggs Junction but I wasn't able to find info on any chargers there.

I'll be driving a 2020 Model 3 performance.

Thanks,
Mark

Hello - I'm planning a trip from Yakima, WA to Bend, OR in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone else has route/charging recommendations. This is my first big trip and I'm feeling a bit of range anxiety. In an ICE vehicle I would normally take hwy 97 all the way but since I need to charge I'm considering a slight detour to the SC in the Dalles and taking hwy 197 to Bend. Anyone done this route before and have recommendations? Does what I have planned sound like the best route? It would be great if I could just charge in Biggs Junction but I wasn't able to find info on any chargers there.

I'll be driving a 2020 Model 3 performance.

Thanks,
Mark

I have a Performance Model 3 and I would just charge to 90-95% in Yakima and drive straight through. I would still stop for lunch and to stretch but no need to charge. My Performance has the Aero wheels which help immensely in my travels through the rural NW. It just gives me that much more freedom and options, they are amazingly efficient. It's only 221 miles from Yakima to the Bend Supercharger and the elevation gain is only 2500 feet.

But if you have inefficient wheels, have strong headwinds, want to drive triple digit speeds or just have old-fashioned range anxiety, you can always stop at the new high-speed DC charging station in Madras, OR, on your preferred route, for a little top-up:

Madras gets electric vehicle fast-charging station - KTVZ

I don't know whether you need (or have) an adapter to get the high-speed DC charging but, even without special equipment I'm sure you could add enough miles during a normal lunch or dinner stop to arrive at the Bend Supercharger with range to spare. Also, Tesla is scheduled to install a Supercharger in Madras this year, but I'm not sure what stage it's in right now.

The Supercharger network just keeps growing! :)

I have a Performance Model 3 and I would just charge to 90-95% in Yakima and drive straight through. I would still stop for lunch and to stretch but no need to charge. My Performance has the Aero wheels which help immensely in my travels through the rural NW. It just gives me that much more freedom and options, they are amazingly efficient. It's only 221 miles from Yakima to the Bend Supercharger and the elevation gain is only 2500 feet.

But if you have inefficient wheels, have strong headwinds, want to drive triple digit speeds or just have old-fashioned range anxiety, you can always stop at the new high-speed DC charging station in Madras, OR, on your preferred route, for a little top-up:

Madras gets electric vehicle fast-charging station - KTVZ

I don't know whether you need (or have) an adapter to get the high-speed DC charging but, even without special equipment I'm sure you could add enough miles during a normal lunch or dinner stop to arrive at the Bend Supercharger with range to spare. Also, Tesla is scheduled to install a Supercharger in Madras this year, but I'm not sure what stage it's in right now.

The Supercharger network just keeps growing! :)
This is decent advice, but given that it's his first road trip in a Tesla, I would just play it safe and go to the Dalles. It isn't much of a detour and 197 is a pleasant highway. Fairly similar to 97 in that area from what I remember.

FWIW, I did this exact trip in reverse last summer. I went Bend-the Dalles-Yakima-Ellensburg and then on home to Seattle.

Hate to say it, but 'do the Dalles'.

Looking at this leg as part of my Montana trip in July (via Vegas, Denver, Rapid City - return thru Couer d'Alene, Kennewick, Bend, Mt Shasta, etc home to Monterey.

The Dalles is only 14 miles and peace of mind. My only concern was availability - but you don't know till that day.

I get it - that 1st trip is 'anxiety' - and until you get to know what your Tesla can do - don't risk it. Keep an eye on usage and charge levels - use the 'planners' - you'll get comfortable once you know the capabilities based on your model and driving style.

After a few years I've noticed that I rarely watch the battery level unless I am in new territory.

Thank you all for the advice. I have checked with ABRP and it suggested stopping in the Dalles as well so I think I'm gonna play it safe. I might try going 97 on the way home if I'm feeling adventurous. If I do make that route I will try to update this post with my results. It does make me feel a lot better knowing they have chargers available in Madras if needed. On paper it looks like this route should be no problem considering the mileage but I know real world factors can affect mileage quite a bit.

Thank you all for the advice. I have checked with ABRP and it suggested stopping in the Dalles as well so I think I'm gonna play it safe. I might try going 97 on the way home if I'm feeling adventurous. If I do make that route I will try to update this post with my results. It does make me feel a lot better knowing they have chargers available in Madras if needed. On paper it looks like this route should be no problem considering the mileage but I know real world factors can affect mileage quite a bit.

Keep your eye on usage going the one direction. When you get to that turnoff (point of no return) note all data before going over to The Dalles. When you get back to the turnoff to continue note miles and note again at arrival. That should give you an idea what to expect.
On return trip factor in elevation change, weather, speed change and make decision accordingly.

Keep your eye on usage going the one direction. When you get to that turnoff (point of no return) note all data before going over to The Dalles. When you get back to the turnoff to continue note miles and note again at arrival. That should give you an idea what to expect.
On return trip factor in elevation change, weather, speed change and make decision accordingly.

This is probably a dumb question but since I'm an EV noob I will ask... What is the most important data to take note of at the turn off point? Things that come to mind are SoC, Watt hour / mile, and distance traveled.

I’ve come from the tricities and gone the Dalles route to Bend a number of times.
I tend to prefer the Dalles route because I like being certain.
The gorge can be brutal on efficiency
A good way to estimate the elevation is to use the 'Cycling' menu option on the Google map.

You can move your mouse above the map itinerary to see the corresponding elevation value.

GoogleBikeMapYakimaBend.jpg

A good way to estimate the elevation is to use the 'Cycling' menu option on the Google map.

You can move your mouse above the map itinerary to see the corresponding elevation value.

View attachment 545983
You can also get elevations for each supercharger at supercharge.info. For places without superchargers, I just google "goldendale, WA elevation" as an example.

FWIW, the Nav does take elevation into account with its estimations. It does not factor in weather. Temperature, wind, road condition (usually caused by precip) are the most important factors that you need to consider.

BTW, I do see that there are several free J1772 stations in Madras if you wanna add a few miles while getting a burger or shake. That's 200 miles toward Bend.
One hour should get you 20-25 miles - should do it for you. From there it's 43 miles to Bend.

Found it on Chargepoint

Agree with everyone that The Dalles is your best bet. However, a word of (slight) caution. It’s a small site, with only six (IIRC) stalls and unfortunately, some are usually ICE’d due to the adjacent motel usually hosting long-term highway/construction workers (read: big work trucks). So keep an eye on the nav to see how many stalls it reports are I use. The more showing free, the better chance you’ll have with no issues charging. Cousins Restaurant is decent enough btw.

Agree with everyone that The Dalles is your best bet. However, a word of (slight) caution. It’s a small site, with only six (IIRC) stalls and unfortunately, some are usually ICE’d due to the adjacent motel usually hosting long-term highway/construction workers (read: big work trucks). So keep an eye on the nav to see how many stalls it reports are I use. The more showing free, the better chance you’ll have with no issues charging. Cousins Restaurant is decent enough btw.
It's only 5 stalls, and with the pandemic, the hotel probably isn't all that busy. I was there about a month ago and it was a ghost town, but business might have picked up recently. For me, the ICEing was bad 3-4 years ago, but hasn't been a thing when I've gone there the last couple years. That is a small, anecdotal sample of course.

It's only 5 stalls, and with the pandemic, the hotel probably isn't all that busy. I was there about a month ago and it was a ghost town, but business might have picked up recently. For me, the ICEing was bad 3-4 years ago, but hasn't been a thing when I've gone there the last couple years. That is a small, anecdotal sample of course.
How could I forget about that COVID thing. :/
We normally take a trip to Yakima each year from PDX in June and last year it was ICE’d by one truck. Prob not the case this year as you said.
$64K question is why someone put that big Bitcoin sticker on the xformer box. :)

Personally, after 4 years of Tesla driving around the PNW, I have come to the decision that the in-car nav is usually quite good at telling me where/when to charge.

- I always charge up to 90-100% before leaving my house.
- I always punch in my destination on the in-car nav and trust it’s recommendation.
- I over-ride the in-car nav only when it predicts I will arrive at my destination with less than 20% charge remaining. In that case I stop at the closest Tesla Super charger to my destination and charge until it says I will arrive with > 25% charge.

that’s my experience only. Your experience may be different, your driving habits may be different.

- I over-ride the in-car nav only when it predicts I will arrive at my destination with less than 20% charge remaining. In that case I stop at the closest Tesla Super charger to my destination and charge until it says I will arrive with > 25% charge.
Probably a good, albeit conservative, recommendation in the winter. Not really necessary April-October. Maybe bump it down to 10-15% in summer?