Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Range and Consumption 2020 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seem to be using way more power..averaging around 350 kwh

I notice around town i surge to 600-900 at the peaks..are others seeing that same range?
If that is 350 Wh/mile and city driving on a 75 kwh pack it is 214 mile of range . There are tires and other moving parts to break in; but no idea if it is 100 miles worth.

There are a few Tesla Model Y owners out there now. I wonder why no one else is chiming in with Wh/mile. On a set of Geminis and green driving it. Maybe too busy enjoying driving it? Be good to see a youtuber run a 55 mph battery drain test on one. Couple of 1000 mile highway trips I watched were 328 and 358 Wh/mi with heavy rain on the later; both are not bad real world.

I have a 3 week old MY LR w/20's. About 800 miles. I am averaging around 310 wh/mi, so Cal, not aggressive driving, more local than highway. And mostly on Chill mode. So 310 kinda sucks and my estimated range for my typical driving is somewhere in the 230-250 max range...WAY less than 316 rating. I am a living example how Model Y range will not be anywhere close to the rated 316 unless you are driving in optimal conditions, low speed, perhaps no AC or heat, etc. I have done a lot of calcs based on my actual numbers and on what other owners are posting and for an upcoming out of town trip, I am estimating we'll get around 230-250 max miles running down to 5-8% SOC. I have also learned that Tesla is using 78 kWh battery capacity for its calcs (as verified by Nikola app). But that's not reality and most will only drive to 5% at max. So here's my real numbers: 75 kWh x 95% = 71.25 usable kWh divided by 285 ish (we expect) so max range of 250.

You guys are depressing me. The Bolt we own (2019 Premier) does around 250 miles on a full charge with no issues, and, if I'm just puting around, I've seen 300 (did on a trip from Cape Cod to Boston). Do keep in mind that speeds hit only around 65 in my neck of the woods when on major roads (Route 3 to Boston). And I'm sure not putting the Bolt in the same class as the MY. But, common!

Rich

PS
Still getting one this Fall/Winter. Love the Tesla SuperCharger network.

Reactions: HyperionMark
These are my last two round trips. I have no problem hitting the rated 316 miles. Just use FSD, set it to 5 over the speed limit and relax.
20200709_173759.jpg
20200707_205421.jpg

I have a 3 week old MY LR w/20's. About 800 miles. I am averaging around 310 wh/mi, so Cal, not aggressive driving, more local than highway. And mostly on Chill mode.
I don't know how you drive, but that seems insanely high. You either floor it too much on each stop or I dunno, maybe preheat while staying in D, no idea. As you can see it gets even better in the summer from the guy below you. I think his values are realistic, because I can easily go below that on my AWD M3.

I have also learned that Tesla is using 78 kWh battery capacity for its calcs (as verified by Nikola app). But that's not reality and most will only drive to 5% at max. So here's my real numbers: 75 kWh x 95% = 71.25 usable kWh divided by 285 ish (we expect) so max range of 250.
It works like this
77-78kWh when absolute brand new, drops to about 76 pretty fast.
Then you have 4.5% buffer or 3.5kWh. Tesla hides this under 0%, but you can still use it - you just have to drive slowly below 0 (steady 50-60mph should be ok)
So you have 100%-0% about 73.5-74kWh.
If I do the math with the 236Wh/m above I get 315 miles and you have another 10-15 miles ontop of that below 0%.

I haven't had to run the battery down low. 19" AWD, most driving for the 230 wh/mi was on 55 MPH roads driving around 5 MPH over. Using FSD, following distance set to 5 or 6 (max). The 236 wh/mi was two of my normal commutes, same settings, but there is about 1/3 of the drive on 70 MPH roads vs 55.

The 230 wh/mi day was hot. Mid 80's on the way in, mid 90's going home. The 236 day was mild, low 80's. Tire pressure the normal 42 PSI cold.

Reactions: bicar
I don't know how you drive, but that seems insanely high. You either floor it too much on each stop or I dunno, maybe preheat while staying in D, no idea. As you can see it gets even better in the summer from the guy below you. I think his values are realistic, because I can easily go below that on my AWD M3.
I don't think it is that high, I have a lifetime consumption of around 330 (1700 miles including an 1100 mile road trip). Local trips are a bit better, around 300. I'd be happy if I can get it below 300. 20" TSportline wheels with Michelin AS/3+ tires.

You are comparing apples to oranges, you have the most inefficient Model 3 sitting at 20" and you are talking about lifetime, usually also winter, and the guy above you was talking about perfect sunny California weather.

The only way I can think of him getting that high is to have the AC blasting high and stop and go traffic in L.A. If that is the case I can see that, but even then it is too high. It is probably the right foot problem.

Could also be a majority of the trips he has taken were very short city drives also. My model Y has been back at Tesla for the past 10 days so I don't really have much driving data on it, but I have been driving the loaner model S they gave me. My average since I picked up the car is like 550 wh/mile which is absolutely insane, but I have only driven it to and from the gym every day with the exception of 2 highway trips. My trip to the gym is 0.9 miles and I go through 7 stop signs. Those trips are usually around 600 wh/mile and have peaks of over 1000 wh/mile at the start.

I’m at 301 over roughly 4,000 miles now. Had my LR AWD with 20” since March in North Dallas. Done a few 500+ miles road trips at mostly 75-80 mph. Other than that it gets a pretty good work out around town. Especially with my 3 teenagers at home nowadays wanting to use it all the time

700 miles in on my Dual Motor Y on Gemini’s, TesliFi has my average at 234 Wh/Mile here in Denver, so plenty of significant elevation changes in 80-90* heat. Split of 60/40 city/hwy miles, driving average/not aggressive outside of the occasional fun run. I’m not really sure how I could average over 300, maybe those out there doing so need to re-evaluate their driving habits a bit?

You are comparing apples to oranges, you have the most inefficient Model 3 sitting at 20" and you are talking about lifetime, usually also winter, and the guy above you was talking about perfect sunny California weather..
Not sure if you're responding to my post, I have a Model Y (LR AWD) as in my signature. And indeed SoCal weather (Nevada/Utah for the trip), only had it 6 weeks.

As far as my prior posts on poor Wh/Mi, I mentioned I live on a hill. Trying to figure out why my overall wattage use is so high, I isolated a trip down the hill and back up the hill and backed out those drives to get a Wi/mi. Here's the stats: the up/down trips represent about 15% of our total miles to date (950) and is about 500' altitude gain/loss in the 1.8 mile average up/down trip. Total watts, round trip, is about 1800 over 3.8 miles. So call it 473 Wh/mi. So I did the math: If I eliminated all the up/down trips, my average Wi/mi goes from 310 to 282. So there you have it, even when hills are only 15% of total miles, hills beats up the Wh/mi pretty hard. The without hills 282 Wh/mi puts me in the general range of expectation. So get rid of my hill and all is good. Problem is, I live on a hill! LOL.