Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Range and Consumption 2020 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a 212 mile leg of a trip in 3 hours (70.7 mph) at 296 Wh/mi. It was about 72 degrees outside
I did a 171 mile leg of a trip in 2.5 hours (68.4 mph) at 296 Wh/mi. It was about 100 degrees outside

For the full trip, it was 608 miles at 300 Wh/mi

I have Y LR AWD with 20" induction wheels

Last edited:
The MY AWD with 19" wheels can do very well. My initial Wh/mi was in the high 200s for the first week or two. I figure this was a combination of things loosening up and a heavy-footed honeymoon period. My Wh/mi have been steadily decreasing since. I expect it to creep back up as winter approaches and a possible second heavy-footed honeymoon period if I buy the acceleration boost. The rated 316 mile range is quite possible to hit. If my battery is 74 KWH, my lifetime average range is 305 miles. If it's a 75 KWH battery, it's 309 miles.
20200929_163159.jpg

I did a 212 mile leg of a trip in 3 hours (70.7 mph) at 296 Wh/mi. It was about 72 degrees outside
I did a 171 mile leg of a trip in 2.5 hours (68.4 mph) at 296 Wh/mi. It was about 100 degrees outside

For the full trip, it was 608 miles at 300 Wh/mi

I have Y LR AWD with 20" induction wheels

I'll add that this is a new Y and before this trip it only had a little over 300 miles on it.

I took this same trip a lot in my old P85 and I used to average about 320 Wh/mi

This happens every winter when the temperature drops the efficiency and range drops ~25%; check your consumption again once we move into late spring/early summer. Also, your speed has everything to do with your consumption and your range. I'm not saying you have to drive under 70 MPH but you would see a big improvement in your range if you did drive 70 MPH instead of whatever speed you drive now.

Reactions: MrTemple
My 12k mile 10 month lifetime average is 247 Wh/mi. My battery is down to 69 kWh, so my max range is 280 miles. With a new 77.8 kWh battery, it would be 315 miles. This is only 1 mile less than the advertised 316 mile range when I bought it. Note this would take a 100% charge and using the 12.5 miles after 0% (3.1 kWh buffer per scanmytesla).

Last edited:
Datapoint:

I've been going up and down my local ~2500ft mountains constantly. This past weekend I went up/down back-to-back 4x for ~10k ft total.

Avg efficiency: 235 Wh/mi over ~67 miles

MY_Saratoga_climb_4x_efficiency.jpg

Before I got my Y I thought blasting up mountains would result in horrible overall efficiency. Now it's probably the most efficient driving I can do. It's the most fun by far and I generally take the long way back home.

Datapoint:

I've been going up and down my local ~2500ft mountains constantly. This past weekend I went up/down back-to-back 4x for ~10k ft total.

Avg efficiency: 235 Wh/mi over ~67 miles

View attachment 657458

Before I got my Y I thought blasting up mountains would result in horrible overall efficiency. Now it's probably the most efficient driving I can do. It's the most fun by far and I generally take the long way back home.
Nice. Tahoe area?