Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TRIP REPORT – Northern VA to Wilmington NC ~380 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is the best place to post this but here we go. Sorry for the length!

Last weekend I took my Mid-Range Model 3 on it’s first Long-ish distance trip and wanted to write something up 1) to reference back in the future as I’ll be taking this trip a couple times a year and 2) might be useful for newer EV drivers

There are 6 SCs on my route so I had plenty of options (see below). I ended up stopping twice on the way down (plus a 5 min non-charging pee break) and rolled into town at 13% to the 3rd SC to fill up for the weekend.

Warrenton VA - 50.4 miles - Fredericksburg - 42 mi - Glen Allen - 25 mi (using 95 NOT 295) - Chester - 108 mi - Rocky Mount, NC - 102 mi - Wallace - 40 mi - Wilmington NC

If you do use this as a reference keep in mind this is winter weather. I kept heat seater on low and I’d say 90% of the time the fan was on manual 1 at 67

Heading South (avg temp 45° and 280 wh/mi avg) I drive roughly 9 mph over the speed limit (need to earn back some points here in VA)

368 miles ….. 5:51 driving…..1:15 charging…… 5:14 on EAP!

4:45am - Warrenton 96% / 247 mi

6:15 – 91.4 miles - Glen Allen 54% / 139mi - Charged for 30 min, up to 83% / 214mi (+19kWh)

6:53 – 8:48am – 133 miles- Rocky Mount 19%/49mi - Charged for 40 min, up to 80% / 205 mi (+32 kWh)

9:30 – 11:51am - 144 miles - Wilmington 13%/34mi.

While waiting for my folks I kept track of charging speed and was the only car plugged in:

13% - 33% in 9 min
13% - 43% in 13 min
13% - 53% in 17 min
13% - 63% in 22 min
13% - 73% in 29 min

We ended up taking longer than expected at the bar however I wasn’t charged an idle fee (only 1 other 3 plugged in when I got back to it)

Heading Home (avg temp 34° and 306 wh/mi avg) I must’ve been driving a little faster until I hit snowy conditions for the last 2 hrs. I also stopped more times than needed to check out the SCs I missed. ALSO we got some snow over the weekend and my overly-nervous self was worried that the SCs wouldn’t be plowed and I’d be out there with my brush trying to get in. Cameras at SC’s would be awesome!

374 miles ….. 6:06 driving…..1:12 charging

4:22am - Leland NC – 95% / 245 mi

5:11am – 51 miles - Wallace 67% / 172 mi - Charged for 11 min, up to 75% / 193 mi - basically a waste of time

5:22 – 6:50am - 100 miles – Rocky Mount 20% / 50mi. Charged for 31 min, up to 80% / 205 mi

7:21 – 8:56am - 109 miles - Chester 22% / 56 mi. Charged for 15 min, up to 61% / 156 mi

9:11 – 10:21am - 64 miles - Fredericksburg 30% / 77 mi. Charged for 15 min, up to 60% / 152 mi

10:36 - 11:40am - 50 miles - arrived home with 33% / 86 miles left

The last stop in Fredericksburg wasn’t necessary but I wasn’t sure what the roads would be like and didn’t want to risk it.

What I’ve learned: Nothing that isn’t preached here on TMC or when talking to EV Vets

EAP is AWESOME! I use this daily on my Northern VA traffic commute and its great, but was even better on this trip. I rarely turned it off on the highway and just had to use it to get to/from the SCs.

Energy vs Miles - I changed and have kept battery display to % vs mileage.

Don’t be scared to use your battery! I’ve never run out of gas and frequently give my wife a hard time as the gauge says “9 miles left”. Range Anxiety was in full mode on this trip and I found myself wanting to have enough mileage to skip a stop if needed (partially due to snow) but that wasn’t a problem and probably hurt my overall trip time

Try to get down to 20% before charging as you can get at least 100 extra miles in 15 minutes, just long enough to hit the bathroom and leisurely stroll through a store or grab a quick bite inside.

The next trip will be with my wife and 2 kids so 3 stops on this trip would happen regardless. Glen Allen had lots of chargers and a Panera right there, great for a quick breakfast. Rocky Mount is better suited for lunch (outback and another steakhouse that did offer breakfast).

Plugging in at my folks house was brutal – 5 min an hour?? I may have to install a plug down there, luckily their breaker is in the garage and does have room to add a 50 amp.

Excellent post - I took the trip in my old S85D when the last Supercharger close to WIlmington was at Rocky Mount and ONLY local charger was a businesses’ Tesla Charger that only charged like a Level 2. Had to do an hour+ charge at Rocky Mount just to reach Wilmington - and get a FULL charge on that local charger to get back.

IT is SOOO much easier now!

Range anxiety will slowly diminish for you with more experience. I must say that the new navigation is MUCH more aggressive but much more accurate than older versions making it more reliable to plan (though sometimes it wants me to skip chargers I know I NEED to stop at).

EAP makes driving the Tesla SOOOOO much more enjoyable to drive on road trips!

Great post. The problem is, in the winter, N. Virginia to Rocky Mount is too far, but N. Virginia to Glen Allen is too short... If there was a stop between GA and RM, I could stop there and then make it to Wallace, on my way to N. Myrtle Beach. As it stands I need to stop three times.

Great post. The problem is, in the winter, N. Virginia to Rocky Mount is too far, but N. Virginia to Glen Allen is too short... If there was a stop between GA and RM, I could stop there and then make it to Wallace, on my way to N. Myrtle Beach. As it stands I need to stop three times.
I agree, even stopping in Chester (vs Glen Allen) would make it tough to get to Wallace.

There are two SCs south of Glen Allen before RM, Richmond, about 18 mi. and Chester about 30 mi.