Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip Report -- SFO to Napa Valley

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gigaron

San Bruno
Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2019
San Francisco
I'm not sure whether this should go under User Interface or Driving Dynamics.

I took my late July MY with FSD from close to SFO to the Napa Valley via the bay bridge and the Silverado Trail. I mostly let it drive itself and have these observations:
  • Driving in stop and go traffic is superb and well worth the price of admission.
  • The car stayed in its lane even when I had trouble seeing lane markers on some country roads. There were a couple of times when it veered out of a lane on the freeway even though I thought it was well marked.
  • There is a very thin line between "move the wheel" and exiting FSD.
  • The car kept telling me to move over from the passing lane, even when it would force me into much slower traffic. It also wanted me to move over into much slower traffic when coming up on an exit ramp 6 miles away to follow the route. Tapping Cancel only cancelled the prompt for a couple of seconds then it returned to nag me.
  • Bicycles scare it and I soon learned to disable FSD and take manual control when coming up on them.
  • A car was coming up on me to my left as my lane was slowing and I expected my car to wait when I tapped the signal to follow it from my lane, but nope, it pulled in front of it which of course ticked off the other driver.
  • It doesn't seem to know about left-side carpool exits and always wanted me to change lanes to the right-side exit. That could be because I have it set to not use carpool lanes, but many carpool lanes aren't carpool lanes on weekends.

• Helpful
Reactions: alexcue
The car kept telling me to move over from the passing lane, even when it would force me into much slower traffic. It also wanted me to move over into much slower traffic when coming up on an exit ramp 6 miles away to follow the route. Tapping Cancel only cancelled the prompt for a couple of seconds then it returned to nag me.

This drives me nuts as well. It’s especially annoying driving SB 280 to SB 101 in San Jose, CA. The SB 280 stretch before the 101 interchange has several on ramps in which oncoming traffic enters the Highway. It would be best to stay in a left or center lane until passing these on-ramps, and then have the Tesla move to the right lane in order to take the fly-over to SB 101.