Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip screen prediction always wrong Model 3 Performance 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Puzzling. Other than using ABRP for any serious road tripping, I'd take it to the service center, when convenient, and try to see if they have any answers for the odd trip predictions. How's the 3 in the fog around Milan? Does AP help? Haven't driven there in a couple decades, but the fog there was insane!
Fog in Milan is now an old problem .
Probably the Global climate changes altered the fog in Milan too....
Yes we have some bad day with thick fog, but it happens only 4 or 5 days/year.
Up to 20 years ago it was a serious fall/winter problem.
I'd say that the car in Autopilot with fog is superb.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
  • Do you drive the speed limit?
  • What model/size tire do you have?
  • What pressure are your tires at?
Tire choice makes a huge difference, if you aren't on the factory tires any more that could be the culprit.
Probably you have not read the thread.
The problem is NOT the consumption of the car.
The problem is what Tesla Trip screen predicts on a selected trip. Tesla trip screen is too optimistic.
The car performs good with fantastic efficiency.

so I have confirmation that the original prediction of the Tesla Trip screen was too optimistic.
Tesla Trip prediction : from 84% to 61%
ABRP trip prediction : from 84% to 51%
My real consumption: from 84% to 54%. (just because I'm a efficient driver)
Good .. though I dont think either were dramatically off .. what accuracy do you feel is acceptable?

??
Probably you read in a wrong way, or I have explained in a wrong way.
Speed limit 130 km/h.
I made long parts of the route at 120 km/h ( so UNDER 130 km/h) and I never exceded the limit.
Power consumption goes up significantly as speed increases (non-linearly) .. even 120km/h is going to use a lot of power. That may go a long way to explaining the difference between the cars prediction and your actual energy usage.

Power consumption goes up significantly as speed increases (non-linearly) .. even 120km/h is going to use a lot of power. That may go a long way to explaining the difference between the cars prediction and your actual energy usage.
Sure, but trip prediction on Tesla is dependant for sure for:
-the Difference in Altitude (positive or negative) and
-the Speed limit of the Nav selected route.
If the limit is 130 km/h and I go at 120 km/h , I should be under consumption than predicted.
I'd agree with you if the speed limit is 120 km/h and I go at 130 km/h.

I'm facing a strange problem. I'm never able to match (not even be near) the prediction % at destination with my 2021 Model 3 Performance.
A typical example:
View attachment 758560

Disclaimer: I dont drive in a wrong way or in a too aggressive way or in a way considered inefficient, I always start with pre heated battery. Usually (if not always) in plain roads.
Example: the car is predicting to ends with a calculated consumption very LOW, I'd say TOO LOW (even extremely under the Epa average), so if I'm able to meet EPA consumption I'm still with green line UNDER the grey one.

With my old LR 2019 the graph was always inverted ( green line above the grey one).
Consumption predicted: 49.5-45.2 or so percent = 4.3%. Do I rememeber it right that yo had a ’21 P with some 77kWh NFP ?

77 x 0.955(to exlude the buffer) x 0.043 = thats 3.16kWh.

3.16kwh / about 22.5km is 140Wh/km. This is LR EPA numbers, not plausible with a M3P at +2C…

The esiest way to get a problem like this would be to select 18” wheels with the aero caps, but still I dont think the car should calculate 140wh at +2C.

Consumption predicted: 49.5-45.2 or so percent = 4.3%. Do I rememeber it right that yo had a ’21 P with some 77kWh NFP ?

77 x 0.955(to exlude the buffer) x 0.043 = thats 3.16kWh.

3.16kwh / about 22.5km is 140Wh/km. This is LR EPA numbers, not plausible with a M3P at +2C…

The esiest way to get a problem like this would be to select 18” wheels with the aero caps, but still I dont think the car should calculate 140wh at +2C.
Unfortunately I'm down to 73,9 kWh even if I follow your advices dsince september 2021.
I agree , the prediction in my car is totally wrong.

Reactions: AAKEE