Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip to Bruges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just back from 4 nights in Bruges and the first foreign road trip with the Tesla. We used a tunnel crossing voucher that had been cancelled twice over the pandemic and was in danger of expiring, so off we went.

Some observations:
  • It was very simple - a charge on the way down at Northampton (be sure to register at the Hotel) and then again at the Folkestone terminal.
  • Make sure to go straight to the front of the car park at Folkestone and you'll see the chargers at the shopping centre. Don't do what we did and turn into the first parking aisle as this gets you stuck in the outbound queue for boarding. It's one way and you can get stuck there for quite a while before being able to get back to the chargers at the front of the car park.
  • Eurotunnel put Teslas on a wider carriage which is handy as you don't need precision driving to prevent scuffing your alloys. You follow the sign for "High Vehicles" when waiting but they'll guide you. The only downside of the wider carriage is that the toilets are at either end of the train and you need to leave plenty of time to use them.
  • There is an excellent Supercharger at a nice hotel just short of Bruges - easy to top up there before you park up and saves a stop on your route back. Calais to Bruges is around 75 miles and on easy roads.
  • We parked at the main station car park which has around 1400 spaces and some third-party chargers; however we didn't need them. It's pretty secure in there and very cheap to park, about £4 per day if I recall. The walk into the centre is 15 minutes on cobbled paths or if you have a wheely bag and don't want to destroy it, around 20 minutes on smoother paths via the main square with the concert hall and bus station. I didn't use Sentry but checked in on the car each day using the remote camera system which is handy.
  • Access in and around Bruges is easy - compact but lots to see and do. It's Christmas market at the moment so quite busy but very beautiful. Restaurants are excellent and plentiful but I recommend booking ahead if you want to use the highly rated ones.
  • If you want a good, handy Hotel, try the Hotel Sablon. It's classed as "boutique" so not large and no evening meal. However it's five minutes from the centre and also does an excellent breakfast. The bar and cocktails are good too!
  • The drive back to Calais is also easy and the chargers at the terminal are very convenient, better than the UK side. You'll see them pretty much as soon as you check in. There were only two of us charging but it was mid morning on a Tuesday. There are 4 or 5 third-party chargers too.
All in all an excellent and easy trip, just right if you don't fancy a huge trek and a beautiful destination too. All being well I suspect we'll be heading back reasonably regularly as it really is a pleasant place.

I suspect much of this is common knowledge but if it helps a few folk, then all good. If you like chocolate, beer and good food in a lovely place, it's well worth a visit.

The drive back to Calais is also easy and the chargers at the terminal are very convenient, better than the UK side.

In the past I've charged "minimum" at Calais, so as not to miss my train, and then stopped at Sevenoaks ... only to find everyone else coming off the train was doing that too, had to queue, and zero amenities (plus its a few minutes detour off M20 too). So we now charge (enough to get all the way home) at Calais.

We use it as an excuse to travel Flexi, because there are two chargers at the Flexi Lounge (Calais-side), and that is after Passports / Customs, so much easier to gauge charge-to-last-possible-moment and still make the train :)

Just back from 4 nights in Bruges and the first foreign road trip with the Tesla. We used a tunnel crossing voucher that had been cancelled twice over the pandemic and was in danger of expiring, so off we went.

Some observations:
  • It was very simple - a charge on the way down at Northampton (be sure to register at the Hotel) and then again at the Folkestone terminal.
  • Make sure to go straight to the front of the car park at Folkestone and you'll see the chargers at the shopping centre. Don't do what we did and turn into the first parking aisle as this gets you stuck in the outbound queue for boarding. It's one way and you can get stuck there for quite a while before being able to get back to the chargers at the front of the car park.
  • Eurotunnel put Teslas on a wider carriage which is handy as you don't need precision driving to prevent scuffing your alloys. You follow the sign for "High Vehicles" when waiting but they'll guide you. The only downside of the wider carriage is that the toilets are at either end of the train and you need to leave plenty of time to use them.
  • There is an excellent Supercharger at a nice hotel just short of Bruges - easy to top up there before you park up and saves a stop on your route back. Calais to Bruges is around 75 miles and on easy roads.
  • We parked at the main station car park which has around 1400 spaces and some third-party chargers; however we didn't need them. It's pretty secure in there and very cheap to park, about £4 per day if I recall. The walk into the centre is 15 minutes on cobbled paths or if you have a wheely bag and don't want to destroy it, around 20 minutes on smoother paths via the main square with the concert hall and bus station. I didn't use Sentry but checked in on the car each day using the remote camera system which is handy.
  • Access in and around Bruges is easy - compact but lots to see and do. It's Christmas market at the moment so quite busy but very beautiful. Restaurants are excellent and plentiful but I recommend booking ahead if you want to use the highly rated ones.
  • If you want a good, handy Hotel, try the Hotel Sablon. It's classed as "boutique" so not large and no evening meal. However it's five minutes from the centre and also does an excellent breakfast. The bar and cocktails are good too!
  • The drive back to Calais is also easy and the chargers at the terminal are very convenient, better than the UK side. You'll see them pretty much as soon as you check in. There were only two of us charging but it was mid morning on a Tuesday. There are 4 or 5 third-party chargers too.
All in all an excellent and easy trip, just right if you don't fancy a huge trek and a beautiful destination too. All being well I suspect we'll be heading back reasonably regularly as it really is a pleasant place.

I suspect much of this is common knowledge but if it helps a few folk, then all good. If you like chocolate, beer and good food in a lovely place, it's well worth a visit.
Not common knowledge for me and very informative to complement my research. We are travelling from Glasgow to Brussels for the Xmas markets, very much similar to you with voucher to be used from the start of Covid, and planning to stop at Bruges on the way.

Thanks!

Reactions: spon88
I did the same trip in September, super easy.

Traveling from east anglia in my RWD I only needed to charge when browsing the duty free in Folkestone and Calis on the way back.

I recommend the Dukes Palace Residence hotel in town. It’s an annex to the main Dukes Palace hotel but a lot cheaper.

Not sure I’d want to drive/get transport in from the outskirts every day. The extra cost of staying and parking in town is well worth it.

Reactions: spon88