Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip to DeathValley in model Y long range - March 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In March 2023, my family and I went on a trip to Death Valley. We started our journey at Placerville (CA), and though the Tesla map initially routed us via S395, the road was closed between the intersection of 167 and the city of Lee Vining. So, we used Google Maps instead, which directed us via 95 (Nevada), and our first charging location was at Garden Ville, NV. However, for the rest of the trip, we used the Tesla map again and stopped at the following charging stations:
  • Hawthorne, NV (located at a 76 gas station and an eatery place for sandwiches)
  • Tonopah, NV (lots of eateries within walking distance)
  • Beatty, NV (convenience store and food court - the last place for the superchargers, so we charged 100%)
After entering the Death Valley National Park with an 89% charge, we found four chargers available at The Inn at Death Valley, and all were in working condition. These chargers were similar to our home level 2 chargers, with a maximum charging speed of 30 miles per hour. While they were mostly available, we had to wait about an hour to get a slot. However, they were free of charge, so it was worth the wait.

Another charging location we found was at The Ranch at Death Valley, where they had two chargers, but one was not functioning.

During our trip, we visited several places, including Harmony Borax works (good for star gazing after midnight), Badwater Basin (below sea level), Artist Drive (colorful mountains), Dante's View (a 360-degree view), Zabriskie Point (for sunrise), Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes (a bit disappointing compared to other places in Oregon), and Father Crowley Vista Point.

Although I was initially concerned about the range of the Tesla, the hotel chargers provided some relief. On the way back, we trusted the Tesla map, which directed us to stop at superchargers as needed and provided recommendations such as keeping our speed to xx and slowing down to reach our destination.

IMG_1260.jpeg
IMG_1266.jpeg
IMG_1269.jpeg
IMG_1301.jpeg
IMG_1348.jpeg

Last edited:
Glad to read about your recent trip. Have you captured any statistical data such cost, number of miles, speed, kWh used, and weather conditions?
Sorry I didn't catch much info. However,
Total miles driven = 1250 (including Mojave town)
Total charge cost at Supercharger: 125.51
Free charging = 100 miles at the Death Valley Hotel
The temperature was 30 degrees at night, and during the daytime, it was 77 degrees (Fahrenheit)
Windy and snowy when we traveled on route 95

Thanks for the write up
Gas savings cost you $2.50 per gallon if average 25 miles per gallon. This is just a ball park.

Still not bad all depends what you compare with. and how much is a gallon in CA
What does this mean? - Gas savings $2.50 per gallon if average 25 miles per gallon

it's clear OP got 10 miles per 1$, Gas is about 4$/gallon and my old ICE SUV gave about 18-20 mpg on highways

Same 1250 mi would have used around 65 gallons of gas, i.e $260, whereas OP paid only $125, so yeah, phenomenal gas savings

so yeah phenomenal cost savings

Reactions: EVRob78
What does this mean? - Gas savings $2.50 per gallon if average 25 miles per gallon

it's clear OP got 10 miles per 1$, Gas is about 4$/gallon and my old ICE SUV gave about 18-20 mpg on highways

Same 1250 mi would have used around 65 gallons of gas, i.e $260, whereas OP paid only $125, so yeah, phenomenal gas savings

so yeah phenomenal cost savings
Yeap roughly $1 = 10 miles
Average ICE get 25 miles per gallon. Depending on where U get your gas, it could be $3 to $5/gal, compared to roughly $2.5 for the same distance
If U drove a hybrid and get 45mpg (my previous Lexus CT200h) then it would be a different story
Enjoy yours

Reactions: saj070
Why do people keep comparing the Model Y to the "average ICE vehicle" which includes trucks and larger SUV's? You should compare the Model Y to other vehicles in it's class. Most CUV's in it's class get over 30mpg on the highway. A Rav4 Hybrid gets 39mpg according to Fuelly histogram data.

1250 miles / 39mpg = 32 Gallons * $4/gal = $128. So really the cost was the same if the OP had purchased a Rav4 Hybrid instead of the Model Y. However, the savings would be when you charge at home.

Why do people keep comparing the Model Y to the "average ICE vehicle" which includes trucks and larger SUV's? You should compare the Model Y to other vehicles in it's class. Most CUV's in it's class get over 30mpg on the highway. A Rav4 Hybrid gets 39mpg according to Fuelly histogram data.

1250 miles / 39mpg = 32 Gallons * $4/gal = $128. So really the cost was the same if the OP had purchased a Rav4 Hybrid instead of the Model Y. However, the savings would be when you charge at home.
From what I've read, charging on the roads would save us 25%-50% at best, most likely about 25% compared to that of ICE
If charged at home (greater than 90%) the savings would be around 75%

Reactions: WyoDude and EVRob78

It also depends a lot on the supercharger cost. At the moment, the price ranges (within a 20 mile radius) from $0.13 off peak to $0.40+. If I am relying on highway superchargers that cost $0.35-$0.45 then there is hardly any savings at all (and ICEs could be cheaper if you know how to stack gas station coupons).

Agree with your methodology on a CUV Hybrid. However, my 21' Acura RDX Aspec AWD gets 24.5mpg on the road and 16mpg in town. Then add in $300+ a years for oil changes and other service - much more cost effective to drive a EV long term.

EV's cost more on road trips - thats a fact with supercharging, as most people only do these a couple of times a year - charging at home or locally at free level 2 chargers.

Reactions: beemboy

Or compare with a PHEV, and for majority of people the pure EV range is enough for daily driving. The daily costs would be same as PHEV and highways would be comparable to supercharging costs

But, and it's a big but, Teslas do have a bit more "aspirational value" then a RAV-4.

"I dream of a RAV-4" said no-one ever

Reactions: tivoboy

Because Tesla owners come from a spectrum of vehicles and people convert over for a variety of reasons, no just mpg. Thanks for the RAV4 math though…

Of course I want to save money but more than that my MX is just a really fun car to drive.

Charging at home, which where I live costs 5¢ per mile, is cheaper than any other car I know of that has the performance of my MX Plaid.

Would love to drive it from Long Beach to SF, and on to Napa one day.

So Much Fun!

In March 2023, my family and I went on a trip to Death Valley. We started our journey at Placerville (CA), and though the Tesla map initially routed us via S395, the road was closed between the intersection of 167 and the city of Lee Vining. So, we used Google Maps instead, which directed us via 95 (Nevada), and our first charging location was at Garden Ville, NV. However, for the rest of the trip, we used the Tesla map again and stopped at the following charging stations:
  • Hawthorne, NV (located at a 76 gas station and an eatery place for sandwiches)
  • Tonopah, NV (lots of eateries within walking distance)
  • Beatty, NV (convenience store and food court - the last place for the superchargers, so we charged 100%)
After entering the Death Valley National Park with an 89% charge, we found four chargers available at The Inn at Death Valley, and all were in working condition. These chargers were similar to our home level 2 chargers, with a maximum charging speed of 30 miles per hour. While they were mostly available, we had to wait about an hour to get a slot. However, they were free of charge, so it was worth the wait.

Another charging location we found was at The Ranch at Death Valley, where they had two chargers, but one was not functioning.

During our trip, we visited several places, including Harmony Borax works (good for star gazing after midnight), Badwater Basin (below sea level), Artist Drive (colorful mountains), Dante's View (a 360-degree view), Zabriskie Point (for sunrise), Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes (a bit disappointing compared to other places in Oregon), and Father Crowley Vista Point.

Although I was initially concerned about the range of the Tesla, the hotel chargers provided some relief. On the way back, we trusted the Tesla map, which directed us to stop at superchargers as needed and provided recommendations such as keeping our speed to xx and slowing down to reach our destination.

View attachment 921436View attachment 921437View attachment 921438View attachment 921439View attachment 921440
Just a side note. We own a plane which is hangared at Chino. During the winter Death Valley is our favorite trip and we do it a couple times each year. Sometimes just for brunch, which is outstanding. The Inn is a really nice place to stay. The Ranch was remodeled 6 years ago, different but well worth the trip.

Just a side note. We own a plane which is hangared at Chino. During the winter Death Valley is our favorite trip and we do it a couple times each year. Sometimes just for brunch, which is outstanding. The Inn is a really nice place to stay. The Ranch was remodeled 6 years ago, different but well worth the trip.
If you want a really compelling drive, try Titus canyon. If you do go, make sure you have the correct vehicle and supplies.

It is a pretty bad road when its dry, but when wet the road is covered in water and impossible. They call for 4wd high clearance vehicles, but I managed it in my lowered P3D, it just took careful moving or maneuvering around rocks larger than a softball or so. Probably a hundred of them lol.

The best part of the drive is the last mile or so as the canyon becomes a slot not much larger than a car, but like hundreds of feet deep. Then suddenly, you are spit out onto the valley floor, and it goes from totally constricted to totally open in a few hundred feet.

We saw a small herd of bighorn sheep while we were there and not a single other car, it was glorious.

20210523_193657.jpg
20210523_173309.jpg

Last edited:
If you want a really compelling drive, try Titus canyon. If you do go, make sure you have the correct vehicle and supplies.

It is a pretty bad road when its dry, but when wet the road is covered in water and impossible. They call for 4wd high clearance vehicles, but I managed it in my lowered P3D, it just took careful moving or maneuvering around rocks larger than a softball or so. Probably a hundred of them lol.

The best part of the drive is the last mile or so as the canyon becomes a slot not much larger than a car, but like hundreds of feet deep. Then suddenly, you are spit out onto the valley floor, and it goes from totally constricted to totally open in a few hundred feet.

We saw a small herd of bighorn sheep while we were there and not a single other car, it was glorious.

View attachment 941055View attachment 941058
I’ve been there but rented a Jeep at Furnace Creek. Not sure I’m ready to take my Tesla on those roads.

1685288717000.jpeg

A side note to your side note, I loved your videos on your website back in the day. It was always fun to follow along on your adventures with the Bellanca.