Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip to Key West

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't offer any opinion on I 75 as we always went the I 95 route.

For the Keys...

Is the Marathon (Fla) supercharger open yet? Best to check, especially if you won't have any destination charging available where you are staying in Key West

Have made the Ft. Lauderdale to Big Pine Key drive (in an ICE) many times...a great drive over the bridges in the Keys.

In the Keys, remember...

#1...watch your speed...the locals do not take kindly to tourists zipping around...this is their home, and U.S. #1 travels though many small towns and is their "main street"...there is a very large police presence, and they will enthusiastically hand out tickets (don't ask how I know :redface: ) ...there is always a police cruiser parked just east of Layton...think it's been there for years. :biggrin:

#2...remember to keep your eye on the road...it is very easy to get distracted by the beautiful scenery (the water / the old bridge / etc.)...I have seen many rear ender accidents on U.S. #1...usually involving out of state / country plates or rentals.

#3...plan ahead if you can...many of the small towns have festivals (seafood / crafts / dog shows)...if you can travel on days that do not have any of these events, you are better off...these festivals can easily cost you an extra hour or two in travel time.

Hey, have fun and a safe drive...please let us know how it all works out for you.

Cheers!

Last edited:
The Marathon, FL Supercharger is open. I used it without issue earlier this year and made it to Key West. It was the first time I've taken a 100% electric trip there :biggrin:.

If you have the navigation system, I highly recommend you look at the route as it will automatically add the Supercharger stops. The Trip graph shows the estimated charge level at your next Supercharger too. I always try to charge enough so there will be at least an 8% charge level at my destination.

Be aware that the Chattanooga Supercharger is inside the Airport Intermediate parking lot. You'll have to take a ticket but at exit take the lane with attendant and you will not be charged.
In Atlanta, the 10 stall Supercharger is located inside Level 2 parking at Atlantic Station. Again take a ticket and parking is free for 2 hours.
In both cases, the navigation gets you there quite well. And remember, Superchargers are shared between stalls A and B. So if one of them is in use try to connect at one with another number.

Thanks for the confirmation...I hope to do this drive in the next year or two.

The Marathon, FL Supercharger is open. I used it without issue earlier this year and made it to Key West. It was the first time I've taken a 100% electric trip there :biggrin:.

If you have the navigation system, I highly recommend you look at the route as it will automatically add the Supercharger stops. The Trip graph shows the estimated charge level at your next Supercharger too. I always try to charge enough so there will be at least an 8% charge level at my destination.

Be aware that the Chattanooga Supercharger is inside the Airport Intermediate parking lot. You'll have to take a ticket but at exit take the lane with attendant and you will not be charged.
In Atlanta, the 10 stall Supercharger is located inside Level 2 parking at Atlantic Station. Again take a ticket and parking is free for 2 hours.
In both cases, the navigation gets you there quite well. And remember, Superchargers are shared between stalls A and B. So if one of them is in use try to connect at one with another number.

Thanks for the information. I will probably skip chattanooga and take the Atlanta one.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't offer any opinion on I 75 as we always went the I 95 route.

For the Keys...

Is the Marathon (Fla) supercharger open yet? Best to check, especially if you won't have any destination charging available where you are staying in Key West

Have made the Ft. Lauderdale to Big Pine Key drive (in an ICE) many times...a great drive over the bridges in the Keys.

In the Keys, remember...

#1...watch your speed...the locals do not take kindly to tourists zipping around...this is their home, and U.S. #1 travels though many small towns and is their "main street"...there is a very large police presence, and they will enthusiastically hand out tickets (don't ask how I know :redface: ) ...there is always a police cruiser parked just east of Layton...think it's been there for years. :biggrin:

#2...remember to keep your eye on the road...it is very easy to get distracted by the beautiful scenery (the water / the old bridge / etc.)...I have seen many rear ender accidents on U.S. #1...usually involving out of state / country plates or rentals.

#3...plan ahead if you can...many of the small towns have festivals (seafood / crafts / dog shows)...if you can travel on days that do not have any of these events, you are better off...these festivals can easily cost you an extra hour or two in travel time.

Hey, have fun and a safe drive...please let us know how it all works out for you.

Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestion and remind. I do hear that local police are always coming out from nowhere and good at throwing tickets at tourists.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep an eye on the trip planner graph, and blog your trip for us!

I will

My family will have a trip from Toronto to Key West in Mid Dec and come back at the beginning of Jan. We will drive I-75 route as we will visit friends. Any tips you guys can share?
Drove home from Pittsburgh this last August using 75. We skipped Macon. Did a range charge in Atlanta at the Market St SC. Nice mall above the parking / charging garage with some good restaurants. I assume you would pick up the turnpike around Ocala and cut across state charging in Orlando at The Turkey Lake Plaza. The only missing link will be Plantation which is built but not operational yet. Keep an eye out on your Nav for it to go live. Its 186 miles from Riviera Beach SC to Marathon so no real problem but Plantation might make it easier. We're heading for Key West on the 19th.
There is a HPWC installed at the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary ( Florida Tesla Enthusiasts facilitated the install) near Old Key West if you need some juice while there.

Last edited: