Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip to Northern California outside of the cities, suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With everything going on, our normal vacation plans are pretty much ruined. I am not a huge fan of nature viewing or hiking, but I do want to see the big Redwood Forest in Northern California. Anyway outside of driving through the big redwood trees and seeing the overall geographic features of the coast, do you guys have any recommendation when it comes to visiting the Eureka/Humboldt county area? We are always on the go, so it would only be a short 3-5 days trip. Do you guys have any suggestion? I am thinking driving up to Eureka one day as the base, then just move out from there to the different scenic drive and the big trees. Other than that, do you guys have any other recommendation?

Thanks

You will want to drive the Avenue of the Giants. That's where you will see the redwoods. It is south of Eureka, and parallels 101. Old town Eureka is pretty neat.

You will definitely want to follow 101 north from Eureka all the way to Crescent City. Lots of stuff along the way. Fern Canyon is a must see, easy to miss the turnoff.

Those redwoods are spectacular, make my very big RV look like a toy.

IMG_1551.jpeg

Don't miss them. Also, get to Sequoia National Monument at some point. And yes, the drive up the coast is unbelievable at points, but really gets even better in Oregon.

Last year, we drove to Redding (to sleep the night), then on to Lassen, Mt Shasta, Eureka and back to the bay area through the Avenue of the Giants. Eureka was pretty much meh... Avenue of the Giants is amazing. Lassen is super neat too.

Before heading out and while traveling, check CAL FIRE’s map for the latest on the wildfires. Big wildfires in Big Basin Redwood Park and Henry Coe State Park (both closed off for evacuations). Point Reys has a fire going now too I believe. Still lots of unhealthy air unfortunately all up and down the State. And if planning to do so over the long Labor Day weekend, weathermen are saying the very high temps are going to keep the smoke closer to the ground. Not something you want to camp in and fire dept is advising against it. I’d check Cal Fire and the EPA’s fire and smoke air now websites; both pretty informative.

August Lightning Siege of 2020 | Welcome to CAL FIRE

Welcome to CAL FIRE

https://fire.airnow.gov/

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DSolie
While visiting mountain parks in California can be a great adventure/vacation doing so during our dry wildfire season can be deadly. This year has been a particularly bad season. While military helicopters were able to rescue a large group of vacationers/hikers from the Creek Fire near Mammoth Pool area that were boxed in, I’m reading rescue efforts to others have not been successful.
Over 60 people trapped in California wildfires as rescue efforts "unsuccessful"

Even trips along our beautiful coastal highways bordered by high mountain ranges like Big Sur or Point Reys Seashore (currently on fire) with limited ways out can be dangerous during these summer/fall months. Not to be an alarmist here but it’s kind of the reality these last few years especially.