Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip to Rotterdam Via EuroTunnel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Llama.

Lurking somewhere up North
Jan 25, 2021
Who knows?
Hello

I’m planning a trip in my Model 3 from Leeds to Rotterdam via the EuroTunnel. Which is about £180 return on the lower deck of the train.

ABRP is suggesting a charge at Folkestone and then either Bruges or Lokeren.

Does anyone have any tips or wisdom to share about driving to the Netherlands via the EuroTunnel?

Many thanks

Llama

Hello

I’m planning a trip in my Model 3 from Leeds to Rotterdam via the EuroTunnel. Which is about £180 return on the lower deck of the train.

ABRP is suggesting a charge at Folkestone and then either Bruges or Lokeren.

Does anyone have any tips or wisdom to share about driving to the Netherlands via the EuroTunnel?

Many thanks

Llama

If there's no chance to charge at Folkestone Eurotunnel (running late?) the chargers at the Coquelles Inter Hotel isn't far off piste

Charging at the eurotunnel shouldn't be a problem, but if you're on flexiplus go into their area for a couple of extra chargers which seem rarely used.

Haven't driven my EV to Netherlands but in any car: Avoid Antwerp or Brussells ring roads at rush hour and DO NOT go into either city as you'll never escape.

That's the only worry I would have with charging at Bruges or Lokeren, if charging brings you into Antwerp at rush hour it won't be pleasant.

Word of warning - if your staying the night at a hotel before the crossing - you may not have a warm enough battery to be able to charge the car quickly at FOLKSTONE (this happened to me - in October - spent night at premier inn nearby having driven down from Scotland - arrived Eurotunnel at 4am with an hour and half to spare - didn’t take into account cold temps and battery and only managed to pull 30% out of the chargers before having to board the train - chargers on other side aren’t accessible so ended up at a hotel 5 mins away charging :)

As others said - you’ll be loaded into the tall vehicle carriages - make sure you follow the correct lane signs :)

Eurotunnel will load you as a wide vehicle and so you will be loaded into the carriages reserved for vans etc, which is fine.
You can watch a movie uninterupted during the crossing.
Charging in Holland can work out quite expensive - choose where you charge carefully.

I believe the reason is that the van/coach/caravan small truck carriages have enhances fire suppression systems over the standard car carriages...

I believe the reason is that the van/coach/caravan small truck carriages have enhances fire suppression systems over the standard car carriages...
On the contrary, I recall reading here that Eurotunnel originally loaded Tesla's onto the standard car carriages. That was until a Model 3 (IIRC) grounded out on the upper deck loading ramp, the ensuing repair cost (i.e. battery) convinced Eurotunnel to reclassify them as Wide Vehicles.

Reactions: Alan J
On the contrary, I recall reading here that Eurotunnel originally loaded Tesla's onto the standard car carriages. That was until a Model 3 (IIRC) grounded out on the upper deck loading ramp, the ensuing repair cost (i.e. battery) convinced Eurotunnel to reclassify them as Wide Vehicles.
I believe you are correct- as when you try and book a Tesla it comes up as “we detected your vehicle has low ground clearance…..” and allocates you to the single deck type. It’s fine - the two times I went through I was in a carriage with just other teslas :)

I had a conversation with them about this and -you’re right apart from it being an X.

Imho, the single deck is a much nicer place to be if you don’t need the loo and so it’s a bonus.

At busy times of the year you might find it harder to find a train at the best time as the tickets for the single deck section seem to sell out quicker.

Thanks so much everyone. These responses are really good help.

I’ve booked my EuroTunnel tickets now and will be staying at the Travelodge the night before with an 8.50 am departure time .

I’ve planned on ABRP to give me 60% arrival charge to the hotel. So hopefully that will give me some charging options at either end of the tunnel.

So what are the requirements for driving in Europe? Do I need any particular equipment or beam benders for headlights?

Advice appreciated…

Thanks so much everyone. These responses are really good help.

I’ve booked my EuroTunnel tickets now and will be staying at the Travelodge the night before with an 8.50 am departure time .

I’ve planned on ABRP to give me 60% arrival charge to the hotel. So hopefully that will give me some charging options at either end of the tunnel.

So what are the requirements for driving in Europe? Do I need any particular equipment or beam benders for headlights?

Advice appreciated…
Headlights on a model 3 are "flat" I believe so don't need changing. You need a Hi vis vest (in the cabin) for driving through france and technically a breathe test though the french police don't worry about this one much. Also, despite having LED headlights you need spare bulbs. I just got the cheapest ones I could from halfords.

I thought all lights on M3 are LED's so why would you need spare bulbs??
Technically you only need to carry spare bulbs for lights that can be replaced at roadside - it’s also not mandatory anymore according to RAC! I never bothered (on basis that teslas can’t be replaced by the user - it’s a sealed unit)… Some have suggested just throw any bulb in the car if your worried - doubt they’d check :)

It took my M3 a few miles to realise I wasn’t in Kent any more when I left the train so good idea to make sure you know where your going immediately after leaving train (Ie. What road you need to take) as there isn’t really anywhere to stop while the car catches up!

Have a read of Driving in France Advice | What Are The Laws? | RAC Drive

One thing I liked was when the car detected it was raining it automatically came up and told you the reduced speed limit :)

Last edited:
I had a conversation with them about this and -you’re right apart from it being an X.

Imho, the single deck is a much nicer place to be if you don’t need the loo and so it’s a bonus.

At busy times of the year you might find it harder to find a train at the best time as the tickets for the single deck section seem to sell out quicker.
can you walk around in the single deck? and is it lit up like in the double decks?