Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip to Rotterdam Via EuroTunnel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trip Report!

After a few delays I finally managed to complete my trip from Leeds to Rotterdam and back via the Eurotunnel in my 2022 M3 LR. My wife and two teenage children made the journey and stayed in Rotterdam NL and in Ghent Belgium. Rotterdam and Ghent are beautiful!

The route including charging in Leicester, Maidstone, Folkestone, Calais. Lockeren, Breda. Some of these were open to other vehicles. I never had to wait to charge although I did arrive with only one charger available at Maidstone, but that one is Teslas only.

My overall impression is that a journey like this is no trouble at all in a Tesla. I worked my way along mostly stopping to charge at about 30%. Never had any range anxiety.

I manage to drive from Ghent in the Netherlands to Leeds today. 9 hours travel time with my wife as copilot. It was really no trouble.

in total I traveled 1,012 miles, used 249 kWh of energy and averaged 246 Wh/m This was with the aero 18 inch wheels and Tesla roof bars. I could be bothered to take them off and like how they look! I spent £117 on Supercharging for the journey.

In comparison this journey would have cost me £240 in the diesel Nissan Qashqai I used to have with today’s diesel price of £190 a litre.

The EuroTunnel was pretty fun experience and cost me £270 return. It takes 35 minutes to make the crossing but about 130 mins total going through passport checks, loading and unloading. I loved the concept of driving a car onto a train to go under the sea!

Driving on the wrong side in Europe was no big deal.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this is useful for someone.

Last edited:
Error above I can’t edit.

It takes about 1 hr 30 mins to transit through the EuroTunnel including all queuing both ends.

On both legs of the journey I arrived earlier than my scheduled boarding time and they just loaded me on an earlier train. It seems they leave about every 30 mins.

I did find that the vehicle location took about 5 mins to update after crossing the channel. I found this disorienting seeing the wrong location on the screen and it helped to have a co-pilot to help navigate to the motorway where my location updated.

Last edited:
Trip report from me too.
I have done this twice now, and can report that usually I've not run into issues in Europe (as compared to south mimms where waiting is normal.)

i was just outside paris today and had a short wait (like, 3 minutes?) and someone else also had a short wait otherwise its all good.

Parking in Paris is annoying for anything of this size :) and I've also found out 2 hours of dog mode cost me 3-4% power under the sun.

Reactions: Neilio
Eurotunnel will load you as a wide vehicle and so you will be loaded into the carriages reserved for vans etc, which is fine.
You can watch a movie uninterupted during the crossing.
Charging in Holland can work out quite expensive - choose where you charge carefully.
I’m going across to France at the end of the month and can confirm they will put you on the single deck carriage. I’ve used this before with other cars and it takes away the nervous drive through those wheel destroying narrow kerbs on the twin deck carriages.

can anyone recommend a UK/GB sticker or whatever you need? Sticky or magnetic? can we not have a small one that goes over the green strip? seems a bit of a waste of space on that bit now
I picked up a magnetic one. It must be a UK one now.

Reactions: Mrklaw
I’m going across to France at the end of the month and can confirm they will put you on the single deck carriage. I’ve used this before with other cars and it takes away the nervous drive through those wheel destroying narrow kerbs on the twin deck carriages.

I picked up a magnetic one. It must be a UK one now.
Just came back from France on the eurotunnel. I agree the single deck is much easier to navigate and where electric cars should travel. On my return leg from France they clearly didn’t care and I travelled on the double decker with normal cars.