Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip to the Alps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Not done it before in EV so would appreciate any hints and tips (MS LR Raven)

Looks like a splash-and-dash at Folkstone for 5 mins will get me to Urvillers. Ideally arrive there empty, and at lunch time, to maximise eating time ... they have the best Ham and Spinach on the Autoroute :)

We want to overnight leaving about 4 hours to the Alps, offset that with wanting to arrive at a reasonable time for an evening meal ... and not leaving home at Sparrow. Leave at 10AM, 2H to tunnel, an hour to cross, lose an hour, that's 14:00 local time already, so I think only 4 and a bit hours travel time before Hotel and I'm not going to be at Ham and Spinach Lunch until 16:00 :(

I reckon somewhere near Troyes for the night ...

Perhaps Le Chateau De Courban ("2 Tesla Connector, up to 22kW" :) ) , I'd be there a shade after 19:00

I would have preferred to have got closer to Dijon ... as from Troyes that leaves 6h20m on Day Two. Plus some Supermarket time at Moutier ... I figure I would double back to La Léchère-les-Bains Supercharger whilst that is going on (50 minutes drive + charge)

I'd appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Looks like a splash-and-dash at Folkstone for 5 mins will get me to Urvillers. Ideally arrive there empty, and at lunch time, to maximise eating time ... they have the best Ham and Spinach on the Autoroute :)

We want to overnight leaving about 4 hours to the Alps, offset that with wanting to arrive at a reasonable time for an evening meal ... and not leaving home at Sparrow. Leave at 10AM, 2H to tunnel, an hour to cross, lose an hour, that's 14:00 local time already, so I think only 4 and a bit hours travel time before Hotel and I'm not going to be at Ham and Spinach Lunch until 16:00 :(

Perhaps Le Chateau De Courban ("2 Tesla Connector, up to 22kW" :) ) , I'd be there a shade after 19:00

I would have preferred to have got closer to Dijon ... as from Troyes that leaves 6h20m on Day Two. Plus some Supermarket time at Moutier ... I figure I would double back to La Léchère-les-Bains Supercharger whilst that is going on (50 minutes drive + charge)

Chateau De Courban is a delight. You must eat there - allow plenty of time, it's not fast food by any means, but every course is an absolute delight. Do not skip pudding.
The whole place has a lovely atmosphere.
We have only stayed there in the summer generally on the return leg.
Love the place...

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Forgot to mention:

I plan to buy a Schuko-13AMP adaptor, in the hope that I can plug into the wall when we get there. I have Gen-2 UMC so I presume I don't need to worry about French getting their Live and Neutral wrong way round, and that I can string my UMC into my 13 AMP extension ... and then use the proposed Schuko-13AMP adaptor into the wall.

If I can get the car close enough I have a Schuko adaptor for the UMC which would keep the cables shorter

The one I am thinking of is £13.99 from Tough Leads

Schuo_clean_480x480.jpg

Heavy duty travel adaptors (worldwide options & polarity reversal)

("Schuko/French Universal Adaptor" in the pick list)

• Informative
Reactions: Rob R
Will you be staying on the French side of the Alps? Maybe the new Model S gets the same UMC2 as M3s, in which case the following is irrelevant but in case (very unlikely!) you are unaware/forgotten - you just might need a live/neutral polarity reversing adapter.

If you are going to Switzerland, it's likely the electricity could be 3-phase; maybe a suitable adapter could be useful for that?

Austria - don't forget the big no-no for dashcams; I understand you will need to unplug your USB drive while over there.

Enjoy yourself! I was late to skiing (was already 27 when I had my first taste of the pistes (Kitzbuhel), went twice a year for several years and then got married and my wife tried it briefly in Colorado (admittedly 12 weeks pregnant) and I've hardly ski'd since (that 12-week old is now coming up to birthday 24!).

Maybe the new Model S gets the same UMC2 as M3s,

Yes, that's my understanding, so I am not planning to get the extra polarity-reverse adaptor

Only going to be in France, but thanks for the other tips. I had read about no dashcam ... but would not have remembered.

Did a lot of skiing in my Youth. Back then folk seemed to do fortnight holidays, twice a season, so I must have done 40 weeks in Val d' Isere over the early years... too old for there now, far too energetic with all the disconnected lifts and trudging on the long off pistes ... and must have done 40 weeks in 3 valleys since .. showing my age! much prefer 3 valleys at my age, good restaurants up on the piste, so I don't have to come down and go back up again ... in fact its basically one run to lunch, and one run back again :) Good butcher in Courcheval too, makes great Salami. I struggle a bit staying at altitude nowadays, so we sleep lower down, but we had great holidays when the kids were growing up self catering in Menuires. For anyone wanted to do 3 valleys on a budget we found that was way cheaper than the other valleys, and I really like the mountain restaurants over there. They were cheaper too ...

Yes, that's my understanding, so I am not planning to get the extra polarity-reverse adaptor

Only going to be in France, but thanks for the other tips. I had read about no dashcam ... but would not have remembered.

Did a lot of skiing in my Youth. Back then folk seemed to do fortnight holidays, twice a season, so I must have done 40 weeks in Val d' Isere over the early years... too old for there now, far too energetic with all the disconnected lifts and trudging on the long off pistes ... and must have done 40 weeks in 3 valleys since .. showing my age! much prefer 3 valleys at my age, good restaurants up on the piste, so I don't have to come down and go back up again ... in fact its basically one run to lunch, and one run back again :) Good butcher in Courcheval too, makes great Salami. I struggle a bit staying at altitude nowadays, so we sleep lower down, but we had great holidays when the kids were growing up self catering in Menuires. For anyone wanted to do 3 valleys on a budget we found that was way cheaper than the other valleys, and I really like the mountain restaurants over there. They were cheaper too ...

Yup - been to Val d'Isere and Courcheval - the latter was where I first saw wide screen TVs in a shop window (must have been 1988?). Also Verbier and St.Gervais. Also ski'd in Finland believe it or not. Plus Lake Tahoe in California and Colorado (just once, but included night time skiiing which was amazing). 59 this year - but probably fitter and more active than I have been for decades after a nasty (not too serious) health scare. If we go and live in France I'll definitely be badgering the missus to go skiiing - she loved snowmobiles!

Take me n my snowboard too?

• Funny
Reactions: vitesse
We’re just on our way back from a week in Morzine and staying just outside Reims. Our itinerary was a 12:30pm tunnel crossing and then a stay outside Dijon (about 7-8 hours drive from Calais including stops for charging). Then the following morning a 2-3 hour drive to le mountains (including a stop to the hyper market for cheese and beer).

Apart from the traffic outside Geneva, all went pretty smoothly. My only complaint is the French driving skills and amazement there aren’t more accidents through tail-gating.

We’re just on our way back from a week in Morzine and staying just outside Reims. Our itinerary was a 12:30pm tunnel crossing and then a stay outside Dijon (about 7-8 hours drive from Calais including stops for charging). Then the following morning a 2-3 hour drive to le mountains (including a stop to the hyper market for cheese and beer).

Apart from the traffic outside Geneva, all went pretty smoothly. My only complaint is the French driving skills and amazement there aren’t more accidents through tail-gating.

Just spent a week in the Vendée and have to agree about the tailgating :(

Thankyou to everyone talking about Morzine and Alvoriaz. My one and only skiing escapade was 20 years ago but I had forgotten where I had gone. Well all this talk reminded me where, although I have yet to locate the hotel that I stayed at (think it was at a junction on a road between Morzine and Alvoriaz), or where we left the minibus to head to the ski lift. Once I have sussed that (I suspect these places get developed pretty quick and change from season to season so I won't be able to pinpoint - think it may be something to do with Super Morzine - that rings a bell), I will hopefully be able to find my route back down and of more interest to me, what the area looked like without snow - curious to know the sort of terrain I was skiing over.

Courcheval - the latter was where I first saw wide screen TVs in a shop window (must have been 1988?)

All those posh-shops are Fur Coats for Russians now ... some of it a bit sad, there was a tiny Crepe Courvoisier concession in the Croisette which I'm pretty sure has been there the 40 years that I have, we stopped there often (you know, just for a chat ...) :) That's gone now into a snazzy multiple story affair with a bouncer on the door and zero punters inside as a consequence. My Missus strolls in bold as brass, dressed NOT looking the part, and tries on everything in sight and then says that she can't believe that they don't have what she wants ... not entirely sure they have got the message yet as the shop is still there!

Take me n my snowboard too?

Sure. We took an 8 person chalet and turns out what few mates we do have have excuses :)... however, Snowboarders wreck all the moguls so its a no I'm afraid :)

Loved Avoriaz, you can get into any of the apartment blocks on the Piste and take the lift up several flights to the level of main concourse and avoid the trudging ... The Wall was a fair challenge. Mind you The Wall in Tignes, which was a fabby wide face of the glacier, has been no-more for decades because the glacier has retreated so far up the mountain :(

We've driven for as long as I can remember. The cattle-market at the airports was grim 40 years ago, revealed periodically by airport expansion, and resumed by airline companies consuming the new capacity. My holiday relaxation starts the moment we leave the front door, and there is no scheduled departure time that we have to fit in with. And avoiding the "Baggage handlers can't be bothered" and so on has meant that on occasion we have been back in UK before fellow travellers using Air

most times we have driven out with a full car, and then spent a day or two in nearby resorts, so that has increased the entertainment and the number or resorts that I know ... but my view of skiing has crystallised to "Val d'Isere for the young, enjoy the off piste" and "Courchevel / 3 valleys" thereafter - the terrain there just lends itself to a perfect, huge, extensive, and brilliantly well connected resort, topped off because they have quality restaurants all over the slopes in Courchevel and Menuires. A car also means we can drive round to another valley, so instead of having to hot-foot back before last lift we can mouch around shops and bars.

need a fat wallet for Courchevel these days though.

All those posh-shops are Fur Coats for Russians now ... some of it a bit sad, there was a tiny Crepe Courvoisier concession in the Croisette which I'm pretty sure has been there the 40 years that I have, we stopped there often (you know, just for a chat ...) :)

I was last at Courchevel 5yr ago and remember watching a Jet landing and explaining to my 4 kids this is the way to arrive to ski, the plane landed and out got 6 "inappropriately dressed" young ladies. Brushed it off as some oligarch flying in his nieces who weren't into skiing :eek:

• Funny
So we drove back yesterday leaving avoriaz at 9am.
Lesson learnt - electric car on a time limit (train was booked for 2206) combined with it being Saturday at half term equals a missed train and a lovely 0250 departure instead! Oh and the m20 gets a closure aswell!
Still it was fun following the same Teslas to each charging station, queuing at each one and lamenting the traffic! Need sleep....

Sure. We took an 8 person chalet and turns out what few mates we do have have excuses :)... however, Snowboarders wreck all the moguls so its a no I'm afraid :)

Bummer!

On a related note; i have done the drive to Val Thorens and Meribel Mottaret in an ICE car (VW PASSAT CC). I'm interested to note how you plan to combat the loss of charging capacity with the colder weather in the return leg. If the car is parked up for a few days in the cold, whats the best way of ensuring you will have enough juice? Obvs you cant keep it hooked up.

And yes, Courchevel, VT, Meribel all require deep pockets.

I've been to Zermatt a few times. Significant wear to the front / back of my ski boots trudging around the town, and there is no flat there, the footpath approach to every place to stay is like the North Face of the Eiger ... sorry Matterhorn :) Came back very fit though ...

Brushed it off as some oligarch flying in his nieces who weren't into skiing

:)

I was in the departures goldfish-bowl at Chambery many years ago. Lear Jet type pulled up on the apron, bloke in a nice Camel hair coat got out and put his expensive looking briefcase on the ground. I thought "I bet he's pissed that his chauffeur is late" ... a bit later Pilot came down the steps and the two had a chat ... then a thung-thung-thung and a helicopter landed next to his plane, at which point the rear door and his eldest daughter ? :) got out with the two poodles, fawned by a number of cabinet staff ... and they hopped into the Chopper and went off for their weekend's R &R :)

I'm interested to note how you plan to combat the loss of charging capacity with the colder weather in the return leg

Yes, not sure how that will pan out. if I was in town I'd stick it in the underground parking, but where we are staying its a stand-alone chalet. From memory the garage is tiny, so car won't fit in there, but parking is off-road so I'm optimistic that I'll be able to dangle an extension lead out of somewhere and trickle charge it. I'm not sure how much regen it will gain on the way down (good point about sitting cold, I won't have enough regen to slow for the decent unless the battery is somewhat warm ... not sure that will happen on 10AMP trickle ...) but I hope to charge it for a couple of hours before we leave.

And yes, Courchevel, VT, Meribel all require deep pockets

I recommend staying in self catering apartments in Reberty, at the top of Menuires. Hugely underrated IMHO. When the kids were young we stayed there for at least half a dozen years. Pierre & Vacances and when we went with friends it was easy just to say "Book yourself an apartment in the same block" without the hassle of arranging mass travel and then someone dropping out and leaving the organiser in limbo.

Did the same in Vail ...they were typical USA-style massive huge Condos of course ... our 2 year old slept in our wardrobe because she found the size of her own room intimidating! Simba Run - we went with 4 or 5 families, had a blast. Someone cooked for all the kids in one Condo each evening, and then we stuck them in the football pitch sized bed watching TV and someone else cooked for the adults. Rotate and repeat :) All the restaurants deliver if you don't fancy catering.