Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip to Vegas, Grand Canyon North Rim and Zion National Park on MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently went on a road trip in my MYP to Vegas, Grand Canyon North Rim and Zion National Park.

This post is for folks who might have questions on Charging and Range Anxiety.

I took delivery of my MYP in March.I had logged 3000 miles prior to the trip.
I have Tesla Solar, Powerwall and Wall Charger at home.
Charged 100% which was 292 miles.
There was heat wave that weekend where temp in Nevada, Arizona and Utah were 100+.
Day 1
Left for Vegas late morning from Southern California. Navigation added Yermo Super Charger enroute. Did not have to wait. Plenty of 150kw chargers available. Had 140 miles range left before charging. Added 100 miles in 20 mins. Used rest room at Eddie's world. Very clean. Reached Vegas MGM Grand at 5 pm. MGM has 4 destination chargers in the parking lot at level 2. Unfortunately they were being used.
Day 2
Charged at the Linq Promenade(250kw chargers). Plenty of chargers available. Put another 100 miles. Went to Hoover Dam. Very hot. 118° F. Left dam around 3 pm for Kanab, Utah. Charged at St. George, Super Charger at Convention Center Drive. After 20 mins of charging reached Kanab, UT around 8 pm with 50miles range still remaining . La Quinta the hotel I was staying had destination chargers and I was able to plug into one.
Day 3
With 292 miles in the tank headed for Grand Canyon Lodge North Rim. Here is where range anxiety kicked in. No super chargers near by. Nearest one is in Page, AZ about 120~ miles from North rim. I had 140 miles range left when I reached the North Rim. After spending few hrs headed to Lake Powell and Horse Shoe Bend. When I reached Page Super Charger, still had 48miles left. At Page charged for 25 mins to get 260 miles since I had to drive to Virgin, UT. Reached Virgin around 8 with 50 miles range still remaining
Day 4
St. George was 30 mins drive from where I was staying in Virgin. Headed to super charger at Sunset Corner Shopping Center. Charged for 20mins for range of 245 miles and headed for Zion Park. After spending time at the park headed for Springhill Suites in St. George. Spring Hill Suites has EV charging at 1$ per hour. Needed 6.5 hrs of charging.

Day 5
Checked out of hotel with 292 miles in the tank. Charged enroute at superchargers in Mesquite and Baker, 20mins each. Reached home around 7pm with 30miles of range remaining.

With 4 adults, one teenager and trunk full of luggage made the 2000 mile trip under sweltering heat without any issues.

For those who want to go to Grand Canyon North Rim the key is fully charging at Kanab, UT. La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Kanab is the best.Great hotel to stay and they have 4 destination chargers.
Once you are done with North Rim head out to the supercharger at Page, AZ.

Attachments

• IMG_20220611_092524.jpg
    IMG_20220611_092524.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 482
Recently went on a road trip in my MYP to Vegas, Grand Canyon North Rim and Zion National Park.

There was heat wave that weekend where temp in Nevada, Arizona and Utah were 100+.
Day 1
Left for Vegas late morning from Southern California. Navigation added Yermo Super Charger enroute. Did not have to wait. Plenty of 150kw chargers available. Had 140 miles range left before charging. Added 100 miles in 20 mins. Used rest room at Eddie's world. Very clean. Reached Vegas MGM Grand at 5 pm. MGM has 4 destination chargers in the parking lot at level 2. Unfortunately they were being used.
Day 2
Charged at the Linq Promenade(250kw chargers). Plenty of chargers available. Put another 100 miles. Went to Hoover Dam. Very hot. 118° F. Left dam around 3 pm for Kanab, Utah. Charged at St. George, Super Charger at Convention Center Drive. After 20 mins of charging reached Kanab, UT around 8 pm with 50miles range still remaining . La Quinta the hotel I was staying had destination chargers and I was able to plug into one.
Day 3
With 292 miles in the tank headed for Grand Canyon Lodge North Rim. Here is where range anxiety kicked in. No super chargers near by. Nearest one is in Page, AZ about 120~ miles from North rim. I had 140 miles range left when I reached the North Rim. After spending few hrs headed to Lake Powell and Horse Shoe Bend. When I reached Page Super Charger, still had 48miles left. At Page charged for 25 mins to get 260 miles since I had to drive to Virgin, UT. Reached Virgin around 8 with 50 miles range still remaining
Day 4
St. George was 30 mins drive from where I was staying in Virgin. Headed to super charger at Sunset Corner Shopping Center. Charged for 20mins for range of 245 miles and headed for Zion Park. After spending time at the park headed for Springhill Suites in St. George. Spring Hill Suites has EV charging at 1$ per hour. Needed 6.5 hrs of charging.

Day 5
Checked out of hotel with 292 miles in the tank. Charged enroute at superchargers in Mesquite and Baker, 20mins each. Reached home around 7pm with 30miles of range remaining.

With 4 adults, one teenager and trunk full of luggage made the 2000 mile trip under sweltering heat without any issues.

For those who want to go to Grand Canyon North Rim the key is fully charging at Kanab, UT. La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Kanab is the best.Great hotel to stay and they have 4 destination chargers.
No doubt great adventure; Question: Would you do it again? Or would you be better off taking the same trip on a Hybrid? Like a Toyota Camry Hybrid?

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4

Day 5

Thanks for the detailed write-up. Would like to see how many kWhs are charged at each location.

I went to North Rim but from the other side (Phoenix) last April, and the La Quinta in Kanab is awesome. (we stayed there)

Unfortunately when we stayed there all 4 stations were iced by night time.

However there is a DCFC in Kanab at the public utility yard not more than 2 blocks away (though if you don't have ccs or Chademo adapter, not all that useful) (does have 10 J-plugs) Kanab Center - West | PlugShare

We ended up taking my girlfriend's CR-V because we were coming from Scottsdale.

We definitely could have made it in my tesla, but she wasn't having any of it (the charging stops)

Last edited:
Many thanks to Teskat of LA, for your detailed account of your June 2022 trip to AZ, NV & UT.

Well, we from the LA area like to travel to the desert when the temperature outside is above 100F...

My wife and I just came back from a two week trip to AZ (from LA county and back), including Sedona, Grand Canyon (south), Glen Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Petrified Forest park- 2000 miles in all. I am driving a 3.5 years old Model 3.

My original plan was very similar to yours, but due to range anxiety worries we nixed the Zion/Brice/North Grand Canyon part.

(for my related comment, you may want to log into my yesterday's posting click here).

See our charging table below, including KWH, $, and locations. In addition, we used a couple of (free) hotel destination chargers on the way.

DateLocationCharge TypeTotalCharging FeesIdle FeesInvoice
06/24/2022Yermo, CASupercharging$13.7632 kWh @ $0.43/kWh
$13.76
06/24/2022Needles, CASupercharging$8.9929 kWh @ $0.31/kWh
$8.99
06/23/2022Kingman, AZSupercharging$11.7525 kWh @ $0.47/kWh
$11.75
06/23/2022Flagstaff, AZSupercharging$13.8030 kWh @ $0.46/kWh
$13.80
06/22/2022Holbrook, AZSupercharging$11.7026 kWh @ $0.45/kWh
$11.70
06/22/2022Holbrook, AZSupercharging$13.0529 kWh @ $0.45/kWh
$13.05
06/21/2022Flagstaff, AZSupercharging$13.8030 kWh @ $0.46/kWh
$13.80
06/21/2022Page, AZSupercharging$3.879 kWh @ $0.43/kWh
$3.87
06/21/2022Page, AZSupercharging$14.6234 kWh @ $0.43/kWh
$14.62
06/19/2022Flagstaff, AZSupercharging$8.7419 kWh @ $0.46/kWh
$8.74
06/18/2022Sedona, AZSupercharging$9.0020 kWh @ $0.45/kWh
$9.00
06/14/2022Sedona, AZSupercharging$14.8533 kWh @ $0.45/kWh
$14.85
06/12/2022Flagstaff, AZSupercharging & Idle Fee$20.4838 kWh @ $0.46/kWh
$17.48
6 min @ $0.50/min
$3.00
06/11/2022Kingman, AZ - West Andy DevineSupercharging$18.3339 kWh @ $0.47/kWh
$18.33
06/11/2022Needles, CASupercharging$4.6515 kWh @ $0.31/kWh
$4.65
06/11/2022Yermo, CASupercharging$12.0428 kWh @ $0.43/kWh
$12.04

A highly detailed report, what tires are on your PMY. I ask because I will be replacing the 21' UT tires/wheels with a square set of 18s from Tsportline with 245/50-ZR18s. I expect to gain another 10 to 15 miles of real-world range. And for years I have read how needed a Super Charger is near the North Rim of the GC. That would be a marvelous gesture by Tesla if they would install one nearer to the park.

Oh what was your average wh/mi for your trip?

Thanks for the detailed write-up. Would like to see how many kWhs are charged at each location.
Here you go...
Supercharging$16.34
06/09/2022 Yermo, CA
Charging Fees
38 kWh @ $0.43/kWh

06/10/2022 Las Vegas, NV - High Roller at LINQ
Charging Fees
62 kWh @ $0.38/kWh

06/10/2022 Mesquite, NV
Charging Fees
73 kWh @ $0.38/kWh

06/10/2022 St. George, UT - Convention Center Drive
Charging Fees
22 kWh @ $0.44/kWh

06/11/2022 Page, AZ
Charging Fees
54 kWh @ $0.43/kWh

06/12/2022 St. George, UT
Charging Fees
61 kWh @ $0.44/kWh

06/13/2022 Barstow, CA - East Main Street
Charging Fees
27 kWh @ $0.46/kWh

Reactions: SnowFlyer
damn. doing this tmrw! Going to do a video about it because there aren't many ev chargers in zion

We going to vegas, going to check out the barstow supercharger to see the progress on the construction of the expansion

Going to the linq to charge in vegas but on yelp TONS of people had issues with a $25 parking fee so we'll see

Then going to charge up at st george at the 150kw one. The convention center is 72kw. Going to charge to 100 because from there to zion to our hotel in the middle, marriot fairfield, there aren't many ev charging

And since we are doing the narrows I have to go to zion, pick up the rental gear, come back to the hotel, and go back again. I dont know why all new hotels these days DONT have EV charging.. Should be standard.

damn. doing this tmrw! Going to do a video about it because there aren't many ev chargers in zion

We going to vegas, going to check out the barstow supercharger to see the progress on the construction of the expansion

Going to the linq to charge in vegas but on yelp TONS of people had issues with a $25 parking fee so we'll see

Then going to charge up at st george at the 150kw one. The convention center is 72kw. Going to charge to 100 because from there to zion to our hotel in the middle, marriot fairfield, there aren't many ev charging

And since we are doing the narrows I have to go to zion, pick up the rental gear, come back to the hotel, and go back again. I dont know why all new hotels these days DONT have EV charging.. Should be standard.
Please drop a link to the video when you're done! Thanks!

Reactions: everydaychris
Dear TMC-ers: All the charging stops listed here are 20+ min. This surprises me. Is this because the range of your vehicle (you said started with 292 mi at 100% charge) is not quite the 327 mi of MYLR that I'm waiting on, or is it that you encountered no 250 KW (or are there really 350 kW chargers yet...?)?

To be specific, I plugged in my someday-to-be MYLR 19" into abetterrouteplanner for SF to MOAB, and it said 8 stops, but only 3 over 15 min (one big one at 25 min to get to the next 250 KW station).

My whole reasoning here is that it takes 10 min for two people to pee, so call this 12 minutes and say 12 min charging while peeing every couple hours is "no burden". More than this, and I would become frustrated. 25 minutes sitting while I could be driving? Yuk. Am I being totally unrealistic here? Are only very very few routes possible for "charge surfing"?

Thank you for your charging experience comments.

-TPC

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
I've had mixed results with the Linq. The first time I went (April 2021) there was no parking fee. The last time I was there (November 2021) I expected the first hour to be free parking like it had been in April -- WRONG -- I had to pay $25 just to get out of the lot. If I had known that, I would have stayed the full hour and charged up to 90% or so.

I'm interested to hear your experiences as it has soured me on that supercharger despite its great size and speed (and a ton of free L2 chargers available if you have to wait).

I've had mixed results with the Linq. The first time I went (April 2021) there was no parking fee. The last time I was there (November 2021) I expected the first hour to be free parking like it had been in April -- WRONG -- I had to pay $25 just to get out of the lot. If I had known that, I would have stayed the full hour and charged up to 90% or so.

I'm interested to hear your experiences as it has soured me on that supercharger despite its great size and speed (and a ton of free L2 chargers available if you have to wait).
sup. i talk about it my video and that's what I was afraid of
It seems super random but the only other supercharger is near the airport

Reactions: charlesoris
sup. i talk about it my video and that's what I was afraid of
It seems super random but the only other supercharger is near the airport

Checked your video out. There are about 4 superchargers within a mile or two but they're all much smaller and/or slower.

It seems like that sign that indicates the first hour is free is new. I don't recall seeing that the last time I was there (when I was charged).

That's good that's free again though as it's definitely the best supercharger in the area (indeed, it's probably one of the largest I've ever been to).

Last edited:
Reactions: everydaychris
Checked your video out. There are about 4 superchargers within a mile or two but they're all much smaller and/or slower.

It seems like that sign that indicates the first hour is free is new. I don't recall seeing that the last time I was there (when I was charged).

That's good that's free again though as it's definitely the best supercharger in the area (indeed, it's probably one of the largest I've ever been to).
Make your way to norcal one day and check out the two kettleman city superchargers. its way bigger, 1 has a lounge, and the other is at bravo farms with a cool kids park, dog park, food, snacks. epic

Reactions: iamnid

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4

Day 5

Thank you so much…thinking of taking my Long Range Y to Salt Lake to visit family. After reading this, I’m feeling much more confident.