Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip to Vegas, Grand Canyon North Rim and Zion National Park on MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently went on a road trip in my MYP to Vegas, Grand Canyon North Rim and Zion National Park.

This post is for folks who might have questions on Charging and Range Anxiety.

I took delivery of my MYP in March.I had logged 3000 miles prior to the trip.
I have Tesla Solar, Powerwall and Wall Charger at home.
Charged 100% which was 292 miles.
There was heat wave that weekend where temp in Nevada, Arizona and Utah were 100+.
Day 1
Left for Vegas late morning from Southern California. Navigation added Yermo Super Charger enroute. Did not have to wait. Plenty of 150kw chargers available. Had 140 miles range left before charging. Added 100 miles in 20 mins. Used rest room at Eddie's world. Very clean. Reached Vegas MGM Grand at 5 pm. MGM has 4 destination chargers in the parking lot at level 2. Unfortunately they were being used.
Day 2
Charged at the Linq Promenade(250kw chargers). Plenty of chargers available. Put another 100 miles. Went to Hoover Dam. Very hot. 118° F. Left dam around 3 pm for Kanab, Utah. Charged at St. George, Super Charger at Convention Center Drive. After 20 mins of charging reached Kanab, UT around 8 pm with 50miles range still remaining . La Quinta the hotel I was staying had destination chargers and I was able to plug into one.
Day 3
With 292 miles in the tank headed for Grand Canyon Lodge North Rim. Here is where range anxiety kicked in. No super chargers near by. Nearest one is in Page, AZ about 120~ miles from North rim. I had 140 miles range left when I reached the North Rim. After spending few hrs headed to Lake Powell and Horse Shoe Bend. When I reached Page Super Charger, still had 48miles left. At Page charged for 25 mins to get 260 miles since I had to drive to Virgin, UT. Reached Virgin around 8 with 50 miles range still remaining
Day 4
St. George was 30 mins drive from where I was staying in Virgin. Headed to super charger at Sunset Corner Shopping Center. Charged for 20mins for range of 245 miles and headed for Zion Park. After spending time at the park headed for Springhill Suites in St. George. Spring Hill Suites has EV charging at 1$ per hour. Needed 6.5 hrs of charging.

Day 5
Checked out of hotel with 292 miles in the tank. Charged enroute at superchargers in Mesquite and Baker, 20mins each. Reached home around 7pm with 30miles of range remaining.

With 4 adults, one teenager and trunk full of luggage made the 2000 mile trip under sweltering heat without any issues.

For those who want to go to Grand Canyon North Rim the key is fully charging at Kanab, UT. La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Kanab is the best.Great hotel to stay and they have 4 destination chargers.
Once you are done with North Rim head out to the supercharger at Page, AZ.

Attachments

• IMG_20220611_092524.jpg
    IMG_20220611_092524.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 482
Thanks for this post. I'm about to leave SoCal for Mt. Rushmore in a heat wave. One difference is going to be mountains. Superchargers get a little thin in Wyoming after leaving the interstate and heading to Rushmore. Sounds like heat is not a big threat though.
We are doing the same…leaving from San Diego to Mt. Rushmore on Wednesday…
Cool! We just got back. Overall, highly successful. 3000 miles, 10 days. Elevation: sea level to 10,600 (Vail Pass) Temperatures: 30 to 117 degrees. I'll write more later and I hope you will too!

Recently went on a road trip in my MYP to Vegas, Grand Canyon North Rim and Zion National Park.

This post is for folks who might have questions on Charging and Range Anxiety.

I took delivery of my MYP in March.I had logged 3000 miles prior to the trip.
I have Tesla Solar, Powerwall and Wall Charger at home.
Charged 100% which was 292 miles.
There was heat wave that weekend where temp in Nevada, Arizona and Utah were 100+.
Day 1
Left for Vegas late morning from Southern California. Navigation added Yermo Super Charger enroute. Did not have to wait. Plenty of 150kw chargers available. Had 140 miles range left before charging. Added 100 miles in 20 mins. Used rest room at Eddie's world. Very clean. Reached Vegas MGM Grand at 5 pm. MGM has 4 destination chargers in the parking lot at level 2. Unfortunately they were being used.
Day 2
Charged at the Linq Promenade(250kw chargers). Plenty of chargers available. Put another 100 miles. Went to Hoover Dam. Very hot. 118° F. Left dam around 3 pm for Kanab, Utah. Charged at St. George, Super Charger at Convention Center Drive. After 20 mins of charging reached Kanab, UT around 8 pm with 50miles range still remaining . La Quinta the hotel I was staying had destination chargers and I was able to plug into one.
Day 3
With 292 miles in the tank headed for Grand Canyon Lodge North Rim. Here is where range anxiety kicked in. No super chargers near by. Nearest one is in Page, AZ about 120~ miles from North rim. I had 140 miles range left when I reached the North Rim. After spending few hrs headed to Lake Powell and Horse Shoe Bend. When I reached Page Super Charger, still had 48miles left. At Page charged for 25 mins to get 260 miles since I had to drive to Virgin, UT. Reached Virgin around 8 with 50 miles range still remaining
Day 4
St. George was 30 mins drive from where I was staying in Virgin. Headed to super charger at Sunset Corner Shopping Center. Charged for 20mins for range of 245 miles and headed for Zion Park. After spending time at the park headed for Springhill Suites in St. George. Spring Hill Suites has EV charging at 1$ per hour. Needed 6.5 hrs of charging.

Day 5
Checked out of hotel with 292 miles in the tank. Charged enroute at superchargers in Mesquite and Baker, 20mins each. Reached home around 7pm with 30miles of range remaining.

With 4 adults, one teenager and trunk full of luggage made the 2000 mile trip under sweltering heat without any issues.

For those who want to go to Grand Canyon North Rim the key is fully charging at Kanab, UT. La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Kanab is the best.Great hotel to stay and they have 4 destination chargers.
Once you are done with North Rim head out to the supercharger at Page, AZ.
I did a similar trip on MY LR fairly recently. LV to Kingman to Tusayan (South Rim) to Page to St George (or Mesquite) to LV. If passing or going to the North Rim, you will need a Kanab stop.
33CF9612-FFAE-4A72-AC58-29CA623DE3DB.jpeg

Great write up! We were at south rim last year with an Ice. Since we bought a MYP this month, I was already thinking of how Grand Canyon north or south rim would be possible without major
Range anxiety. This is helpful for sure!

Did you find PlugShare app was helpful in these remote areas?

Where do think Tesla could/should place some Superchargers to help alleviate the stress of visiting one of our greatest national parks? Maybe Urban Chargers would help given the amount of time folks are actually at the park. But some V3s would be awesome.

Now that we can vote for new SCer locations that might get Tesla's attention.

Where do think Tesla could/should place some Superchargers to help alleviate the stress of visiting one of our greatest national parks? Maybe Urban Chargers would help given the amount of time folks are actually at the park. But some V3s would be awesome.

Now that we can vote for new SCer locations that might get Tesla's attention.
zion for sure. Only one in st george???

Reactions: timberlights
Has anybody tried driving from St George to North Rim to Page, without stopping in Kanab? That's 272 miles which would be fine on flat ground, but ABRP says I can't make it that way, I guess because of the hills. I'm planning a trip to the North Rim from Joshua Tree, CA in a long range M3. I don't want to stop for 4 hours at the slow charger in Kanab, so it looks like the next best option is to go through Kingman, Flagstaff, Page, then North Rim.

Has anybody tried driving from St George to North Rim to Page, without stopping in Kanab? That's 272 miles which would be fine on flat ground, but ABRP says I can't make it that way, I guess because of the hills. I'm planning a trip to the North Rim from Joshua Tree, CA in a long range M3. I don't want to stop for 4 hours at the slow charger in Kanab, so it looks like the next best option is to go through Kingman, Flagstaff, Page, then North Rim.
Just stop in Kanab. It’s about 8 miles off your route but you will need to charge - based on my experience. Also, Chargepoint has Fast DC chargers - 4 I believe.