Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Triple App Screen on v9!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than the fact that the most common operations took way to many taps to access. The interface is way more streamlined and usable while driving.
Really? Have you counted the taps and sizes of the buttons you have to hit, and the fact that you have to take you eyes off the road all the way the bottom of the screen to make a phone call on v9? Compare to pre-v9. Oh wait, I know what you're going to say. Nobody calls anymore, everyone texts, buy wait, where is the texting integration in Tesla? :eek:

Now go compare the experience that every time I back up I have to remember to tap the screen first to show the ultrasonic distances for the sole purpose of seeing the backup camera on the top of the screen when backing up so I can monitor the front, side mirrors, and camera at the same time. Let's do the math, 1 tap today vs. 0 taps before:
1/0 = infinity
So yep, infinitely more taps for safe backing up. Is backing up something you consider common operation? Or do you use summon each time, so even more taps but maybe v9 didn't increase it? :p

Really? Have you counted the taps and sizes of the buttons you have to hit, and the fact that you have to take you eyes off the road all the way the bottom of the screen to make a phone call on v9? Compare to pre-v9. Oh wait, I know what you're going to say. Nobody calls anymore, everyone texts, buy wait, where is the texting integration in Tesla? :eek:

Now go compare the experience that every time I back up I have to remember to tap the screen first to show the ultrasonic distances for the sole purpose of seeing the backup camera on the top of the screen when backing up so I can monitor the front, side mirrors, and camera at the same time. Let's do the math, 1 tap today vs. 0 taps before:
1/0 = infinity
So yep, infinitely more taps for safe backing up. Is backing up something you consider common operation? Or do you use summon each time, so even more taps but maybe v9 didn't increase it? :p

Math checks out. And I agree, more taps and more taking eyes off road.

Sadly, the 2 of the 3 apps for this have to be nav and music, and camera is still on the bottom. :(

With a completely impractical level of effort and then holding two fingers on the touchscreen, I was able to get the camera view on top of the screen and the music app on the bottom of the screen with v9 ;) :

IMG_9171.jpg

I noticed that you can drag the camera image up a little bit, but then it snaps back in place at the bottom of the screen once you remove your finger from the touchscreen. But before you remove your finger, if you put another finger on the screen and then remove the first finger then you can move the camera screen up a little higher. If you keep repeating this process then you can walk the camera image up the screen excruciatingly slowly (we're talking something like 100 upward swipes in total and it snaps back if you make even the slightest mistake). Once you get the camera to the top of the screen you can keep it there by leaving a finger on the screen (I did this at a stoplight and was able to keep the camera on top for a several minutes on my drive home today, but my arm did start getting a bit tired). The second bit I figured out after watching the video at the start of this thread. Basically while you are holding the camera at the top of the screen with one finger, you can swipe up through the music icon with a finger on the other hand to bring up the music app to the desired height. Then you can hold both windows in place with two fingers on your right hand. Or perhaps you can use the Korean touchscreen meat stick trick (South Korean iPhone users turn to sausages as a cold weather 'meat stylus') and hold the two windows in place by clamping two meat sticks to the screen after you have the windows where you want them.

Yes I realize this is completely ridiculous :) But I was able to configure the screen how I wanted it and nothing in the GUI broke. So I'm pretty confident that one of Tesla's ace programmers can make this possible without keeping two fingers (or meatsticks) on the screen with a few quick changes to the v9 code.

With a completely impractical level of effort and then holding two fingers on the touchscreen, I was able to get the camera view on top of the screen and the music app on the bottom of the screen with v9 ;) :

View attachment 342999

I noticed that you can drag the camera image up a little bit, but then it snaps back in place at the bottom of the screen once you remove your finger from the touchscreen. But before you remove your finger, if you put another finger on the screen and then remove the first finger then you can move the camera screen up a little higher. If you keep repeating this process then you can walk the camera image up the screen excruciatingly slowly (we're talking something like 100 upward swipes in total and it snaps back if you make even the slightest mistake). Once you get the camera to the top of the screen you can keep it there by leaving a finger on the screen (I did this at a stoplight and was able to keep the camera on top for a several minutes on my drive home today, but my arm did start getting a bit tired). The second bit I figured out after watching the video at the start of this thread. Basically while you are holding the camera at the top of the screen with one finger, you can swipe up through the music icon with a finger on the other hand to bring up the music app to the desired height. Then you can hold both windows in place with two fingers on your right hand. Or perhaps you can use the Korean touchscreen meat stick trick (South Korean iPhone users turn to sausages as a cold weather 'meat stylus') and hold the two windows in place by clamping two meat sticks to the screen after you have the windows where you want them.

Yes I realize this is completely ridiculous :) But I was able to configure the screen how I wanted it and nothing in the GUI broke. So I'm pretty confident that one of Tesla's ace programmers can make this possible without keeping two fingers (or meatsticks) on the screen with a few quick changes to the v9 code.
Nice find!

So there you have it folks, our v9 Teslas still have the camera at the top functionality, Tesla just insists that we do it the new, much safer way using both hands and holding one of them on the screen while driving (to keep your attention on the camera of course, for safety). The old way of just a single finger tap or swipe was way to dangerous to continue to allow it, plus not having to keep your finger on it you might forget you have it up. More streamlines and usable while driving, as @GlmnAlyAirCar told us. :p

View attachment 342999

Or, just bring a passenger to hold the camera in place while you drive

Better yet, trade in those oranges for hotdogs?

Don't let any of the v9 fans see this, they'll probably escalate this bug to remove all of our hope :rolleyes:
don't worry...
based on Tesla's track record on fixing* old music player bugs well documented in Comprehensive USB Bug List and that still exist 2 or 3 years later, this screen bug will probably be around a while ;)

* "fixing" = "ignoring"

Tesla is pushing the flippin nav+music hard. When the car is parked overnight, it keeps coming up with nav+music, even if I leave a different app up before parking. I never drive with music app on the big screen so I know for sure I didn't leave it on the screen.

Not only that, while driving they push that freakin' combination on the driver like a cheap salesman. Check this out:
WTF, why is the camera gone and music is back on the bottom of the screen!?! :mad:

Of course, maybe they are not pushing it, just don't know how to design use-cases, code, and test them.

Last edited:

1/0 = infinity
Still zero taps backing up. What are you talking about????

Still zero taps backing up. What are you talking about????
If the camera was up already, shifting in reverse would leave it on top of the screen. With v9, if the camera is up, I have to tap the traffic cone icon after stopping and before reversing to achieve the same thing. Just shifting into reverse doesn't automatically show me distances around the car and move the camera view to the top of the screen, line 8.1. So, 0 taps for 8.1, 1 tap before reversing required to see full camera and ultrasonic distances.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
If the camera was up already, shifting in reverse would leave it on top of the screen. With v9, if the camera is up, I have to tap the traffic cone icon after stopping and before reversing to achieve the same thing. Just shifting into reverse doesn't automatically show me distances around the car and move the camera view to the top of the screen, line 8.1. So, 0 taps for 8.1, 1 tap before reversing required to see full camera and ultrasonic distances.
But that's the way it behaved on v8 if you already had the rear camera view up.

Or if you don't keep it up, the rear camera display with sensor distances comes up automatically.

What has changed?

I totally disagree..

Toggling climate on/off took 1 tap, now turning off takes two
Putting camera up use to take 1 tap, now takes two or a swipe (yeah that doesn't feel awkward)\
Switching to any app only took one tap, now you need to fumble through a pop up menu.

This UI is much more busy in terms of usage
  • Toggling climate: pressing and holding the icon toggles it on and off still
  • Swiping up on the launcher opens your last-used app
  • Music icon is always visible
  • Maps is always visible
Stop spreading lies if you're too lazy to watch Tesla V9 tutorial videos.

• Toggling climate: pressing and holding the icon toggles it on and off still
  • Swiping up on the launcher opens your last-used app
  • Music icon is always visible
  • Maps is always visible
Stop spreading lies if you're too lazy to watch Tesla V9 tutorial videos.
I really, really disagree with your last sentence there. It's fine to cite evidence in support of your point, but it's not fine to attack people by calling them entitled or lazy or liars, dismissing their concerns as invalid because you don't happen to care. I realize this sort of discourse is now practiced everywhere, but it needs some correction because it's really not OK.

It is absolutely true that it took 1 tap to toggle climate on/off prior to v9, and it now takes 2 taps to use the interface in the obvious way. There is also a new hidden "press and hold" gesture which is not intuitive or discoverable without being told about it or watching videos.

It is also true that switching to an app directly was previously possible if you didn't have Nav on top. Now that choice has been removed, so you do have to go through the popup app launcher now to display something other than Music and Nav.

Many UI control elements are becoming both tappable and swipable, and sometimes long-pressable (or what Apple calls "force touch"), but the behavior is not always obvious or consistent. That's fine for interacting with a smartphone or tablet where it can capture your full attention, but in a moving car, it would seem critical to reduce the complexity of interaction modes, not add more.