Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Triple bike rack on hitch anybody have it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having the eco hitch put on my M3 next week and hope to use my Saris triple Thelma rack that I had used on the hitch of my Lexus, another car maker that did not recommend using a hitch.
Wondering if anyone has used a triple bike rack and how it has worked ?

I have a quad Thule for my Ecohitch on my Model S...

1CFC1938-6CA8-4D61-BD19-C58658649D66.jpeg

I won’t be too negative hear but I would be wary or 4 bikes on a receiver smaller then 2”

If they are light bikes ok but a friend who works at Specialized and is a big mountain biker has seen the big racks break off 1 1/4

The big racks are designed for 2”, you normally have to use a reducer that is a weak point.

That said use caution and check on it you should be fine.

I have the EcoHitch too and driven from Ottawa to Cape Cod with four bikes on my old Subaru Hitch no problem last summer (1.25" hitch intake).

Model 3 took the load like a champ. (FYI this is a LR RWD from June 2018)

AllFull.jpg

Attachments

• AllFull.jpg
    AllFull.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I have the EcoHitch too and driven from Ottawa to Cape Cod with four bikes on my old Subaru Hitch no problem last summer (1.25" hitch intake).

Model 3 took the load like a champ. (FYI this is a LR RWD from June 2018)

View attachment 508881

A more detailed view of the bike rack (on our way to the top of Mount Washington)
I have used this 1.25" 4-bike car rack since 2005 with no problem at all.
View.JPG

how does the sensor/software suite handle the rack when driving/parking?
It beeps when in reverse but it does not prevent me from doing anything. Does not affect Autopilot at all.

One thing I had to be careful though ensureing the bikes' bottom parts were higher than the curb at superchargers sites so that I could back up above it (and up to the sign between the stalls) so that I have enough supercharger cable to plug the car. Beyond that, it was all play.

I won’t be too negative hear but I would be wary or 4 bikes on a receiver smaller then 2”

If they are light bikes ok but a friend who works at Specialized and is a big mountain biker has seen the big racks break off 1 1/4

The big racks are designed for 2”, you normally have to use a reducer that is a weak point.

I should clarify, The problem is with 4 bike platform racks as they are heavy empty....

I have a 2 bike platform for my BMW wagon use it all the time, I wanted a 4 bike platform, just too heavy for my 1 1/4

Good thing I have the 2” Ecohitch then ;-)
But they are lighter bikes anyhow. Two adult road bikes and 2 kids bikes. The biggest problem is that it’s actually really hard to get 4 bikes on, especially when they are different styles.

Reactions: Goodtohave