Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Triple the number of Supercharger Ports by the end of 2018!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently learned about an increase in the number of Supercharger ports from about 6,100 in July of 2107 to 18,000 by the end of 2018. While that is just a goal, what does it mean in terms of:

• Number of new Supercharger stations?
  • Number of stations under construction at any one time?
  • Number of stations opening per month or per day?
  • Other metrics?
Is it doable?

Yeah, I really want to know where.

If they say that Iceland is getting some, that may influence my decision on which pack to get. If I'm only charging on CHAdeMOs then there's little point to a larger pack. If there are superchargers all the way around the Ring Road then a larger pack means faster trips.

We recently learned about an increase in the number of Supercharger ports from about 6,100 in July of 2107 to 18,000 by the end of 2018. While that is just a goal, what does it mean in terms of:

• Number of new Supercharger stations?
  • Number of stations under construction at any one time?
  • Number of stations opening per month or per day?
  • Other metrics?
Is it doable?
Take a quick look on Tesla.com at the extensive, planned new Supercharger locations by the end of 2017 -- and unspecified years beyond. According to the current list on Supercharge.info (look at their list of "changes" as well as their "map"), Tesla is making a nice dent in that 2017 plan, but they have a ton of work to do by the end of this year. So any talk about the end of 2018 seems a bit pie in the sky.

BTW, it is pretty hard to figure out planned expansions of existing sites and at least in CA I imagine that is a big part of the plan.

Last edited:
Take a quick look on Tesla.com at the extensive, planned new Supercharger locations by the end of 2017 -- and unspecified years beyond. According to the current list on Supercharge.info (look at their list of "changes" as well as their "map"), Tesla is making a nice dent in that 2017 plan, but they have a ton of work to do by the end of this year. So any talk about the end of 2018 seems a bit pie in the sky.

BTW, it is pretty hard to figure out planned expansions of existing sites and at least in CA I imagine that is a big part of the plan.

It's not at all "pie in the sky" - it's a core part of their business that has a major impact on customer buying decisions. There's nothing unreasonable about wanting to know what the plan is.

We just do not know. For example, Tesla has expanded about eight locations here in California over the past three months or so. Most of these locations increased in stalls from 60-100%. I assume that more expansions are planned.

Twenty stalls are currently under construction in Burbank, at a short distance from the existing 6-stall SC at the Burbank Service Center.

We have found that there are two-40 stall sites to be constructed in California along two highly popular interstates.

There is no reason not to believe that there are similar plans at various stages in the pipeline across much of the United States for expansion of existing sites, development of additional sites that are complementary to existing sites, and brand new more rural-type locations with 20-40 pedestals.

This does not address the fact that Tesla is also doing the occasional infilling of existing routes to relieve some of the pressure at existing sites to afford drivers more options as to where to stop to charge. (Sacramento and Yermo come to mind.)

Plus, Tesla is still committed to completing a number of routes (I-10 east of Casa Grande to El Paso; I-94 east of Billings through North Dakota and onto Minneapolis), and probably several others that I am too lazy to research right now.

Then there is the rest of the world to do the same thing.

All we do know is that Tesla has been notoriously sanguine (some might even say unrealistic) when it comes to Supercharger construction. That is tempered right now with a feverish pace for sites under construction and permits. Whether this pace can continue through the end of the year is anyone's guess. And for the past two years, new construction has always slowed to a crawl in the first quarter of the new year. Perhaps 2018 will be different!