Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tripling Supercharger Network: Any plan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, gonna triple superchargers in the coming years, eh? Did Elon mention a plan or strategy? Is he going to try fill gaps (For god's sake build one in Branson, MO)? Is he going to build more urban superchargers for people in apartments? Is he going to fill in travel destinations so there's only 30-50 miles between all chargers? What's the plan?

Not a Tesla insider, so only speculation, but what I've seen happening is that host sites (rather than Tesla) are taking the ball now. More and more sites are now popping up without any warning of being on the Coming Soon map. In my area these are being driven by Sheetz convenience store outlets, and oddly enough, Smithfields Chicken & BBQ fast food outlets (not necessarily a bad fit, just a bit odd to have 8-12 stall Superchargers at a small-ish regional fast food joint, when 2-4 would probably be plenty--but hey, I've heard the owner of Smithfields is a Tesla owner and huge proponent, so not complaining!)

Anyway, as for Supercharger siting, these outlets have a very good handle on travel corridors and the best places to site Superchargers. And once the ball gets rolling and the number of Teslas on the road becomes hard to ignore, the competition is starting to take notice and before you know it, they will jump into the game as well. Before you know it every chain will be offering some kind of EV charging. That takes care of the siting and demand side of the question.

The other side (the supply side) is a different matter. Again, however, Tesla has the advantage of having a very vertically integrated supply chain vs. other charging networks that are dealing with 3-4 different charging station manufacturers, who themselves are likely just assembling their equipment from parts bought from other suppliers. And they are nowhere near having the kind of pre-fab setup that Tesla has.

Does Tesla have their supply chains worked out? Hard to tell, but with their thrust to start making V3 Superchargers in Shanghai, it seems likely that they are not going to get too caught up in shipping logistics that are a big cause of supply chain woes in the US.

More and more sites are now popping up without any warning of being on the Coming Soon map. In my area these are being driven by Sheetz convenience store outlets, and oddly enough, Smithfields Chicken & BBQ fast food outlets (not necessarily a bad fit, just a bit odd to have 8-12 stall Superchargers at a small-ish regional fast food joint, when 2-4 would probably be plenty--but hey, I've heard the owner of Smithfields is a Tesla owner and huge proponent, so not complaining!)

Someone call Chilis, Applebees, Cracker Barrel, Texas Roadhouse, Outback ... they could all install the "urban" 72kw chargers in the back of their parking lots and it would be super.

Reactions: DblOSmith
Someone call Chilis, Applebees, Cracker Barrel, Texas Roadhouse, Outback ... they could all install the "urban" 72kw chargers in the back of their parking lots and it would be super.
Also, call AMC, Cenamark, State/Local/Federal parks, etc... Wouldn't even have to put in 72kW chargers. Even a 50kW DC system would charge a car in 2-3 hours. Perfect amount of time for a movie or a hike.

Also, call AMC, Cenamark, State/Local/Federal parks, etc... Wouldn't even have to put in 72kW chargers. Even a 50kW DC system would charge a car in 2-3 hours. Perfect amount of time for a movie or a hike.

If you're including non-highway stuff, definitely. I'd add in grocery stores and gyms. They could be CCS, which would encourage Tesla to get their adapter going much sooner as well.