Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tritium delivering 0kW charge issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I stopped at the Jugiong NRMA fast charger. I plugged in and headed off for lunch.
A few minutes later I got a notification the charging had stopped.
Back at the car, an Err 50 was on the Tritium charger.
So I unplugged and plugged it back in, the NRMA charger looked like it was charging, but my Model 3 SR+ [2019] basically just sat their saying "waiting to charge".
I unplugged and plugged in again with the same thing happening.
I then reset the Tritium charger and after the 5 minute restart, tried to charge again. Same thing, car says "waiting to charge".
To add to this, it seemed the car was draining the battery VERY fast while the "waiting to charge" message was on the console. Something like 2% lost in 10 minutes.

I saw on PlugShare the last charge attempt at the Yass NRMA charger had the same problem, so I couldn't push on as I did not have enough charge to get to Goulburn.
OK, lunch time was officially spoiled, I need to go back to the Gundagai Superchargers to get enough charge to get to Goulburn. Roughly 60 minutes wasted.:(

Searching the TMC forums [see below], I see others have encountered this.

Anyone else experienced this?
Anyone got any hints as to what causes it and/or what work arounds there may be if it does happen?

btw, my SR+ is on version 2021.4.18.

There's apparently some ongoing glitch with the current software version and Tritium chargers glitching out & delivering barely above 0kW charge. I've had it happen to me at NRMA Mittagong (a few weeks ago) & Chargefox Shell Cove (on Sunday), and I've seen it happen to another Model 3 driver at NRMA Batemans Bay (a week ago).

I had this issue the NRMA charger at Berry recently. The charger said it was "charging" but sat at a rate of 0. However looking at the display in the car, it was actually DISCHARGING the car - quite rapidly. Probably lost 20km in just a few minutes.

Reactions: David Sowden
I have had the same issue. Someone else mentioned it went away when they made sure the ChaDeMo plug was fully back into the holder on the charger. I’m not sure if it was just coincidence, I haven’t had the problem again to check.

I've had the same issue (I think) at the Mittagong charger twice and the Orange charger once. In all cases I was able to get charging by stopping charging in the car interface (I have a 2019 model 3 SR+), unplugging the cable, putting the cable back in the holder on the charger and then waiting a minute or two before trying again. For one of the occasions I had to do this process twice.

The first time it happened (at the Orange charger), I called the NRMA number when I was unable to charge, and the NRMA person said she saw no indication of any fault at their end (she was able to remotely see the status of the charger).

First time it happened to me was 31 May 2021 12:31am at the NRMA Mittagong RSL 50kW. It charges normally for a while, but then the charging speed just drops to something between 0kW to 2kW and the battery SoC goes backwards. But it doesn't error out. It just sits there, discharging.

Since then I've had it happen to me twice at Chargefox Shell Cove 350kW, a few weeks apart. Also a few times at Evie/ACTEWAGL 50kW at Canberra Airport Vibe Hotel (post the CCS2 changeover). And once or twice at the UoW Innovation Campus ex-ChargePoint 50kW (while using my CCS1 to CCS2 adapter).

Yes, I drive a lot. I've put 103,863km onto my January 2020 Fremont SR+.

Over time I've come to believe I need to be patient and then it'll start working. If I rapidly disconnect/reconnect, it gets stuck and the 'Start Charging' button appears in-app, in a really stupid way. No matter what I do, if I do it quickly, it just won't start charging. But if I go into the Tesla app, unlock charge port, hang up the cable, then < back out of the CHARGING page in the Tesla phone app, then go straight back into the CHARGING page, tap open charge port, and then start the charge off the charger again, calmly, it'll come good.

I believe it's linked to 2021.4.18 - but I can't prove it.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the same problem, but I have had an issue a few times at the NRMA Charger at Olympic Park.

I plug in and press the Start button. The car starts to charge and shows me the charging time remaining but the charge is 0kW and 0km/hr. I'd unplug, hang up the charge cable and start again. Sometimes this would happen a few times in a row.

Someone told me to check that the Emergency Stop button was all the way out. That's helped at least once. Another time I pushed the Emergency Stop button, waited the few minutes and pulled it back out and it was fine after that.

First time it happened to me was 31 May 2021 12:31am at the NRMA Mittagong RSL 50kW. It charges normally for a while, but then the charging speed just drops to something between 0kW to 2kW and the battery SoC goes backwards. But it doesn't error out. It just sits there, discharging.

Since then I've had it happen to me twice at Chargefox Shell Cove 350kW, a few weeks apart. Also a few times at Evie/ACTEWAGL 50kW at Canberra Airport Vibe Hotel (post the CCS2 changeover). And once or twice at the UoW Innovation Campus ex-ChargePoint 50kW (while using my CCS1 to CCS2 adapter).

Yes, I drive a lot. I've put 103,863km onto my January 2020 Fremont SR+.

Over time I've come to believe I need to be patient and then it'll start working. If I rapidly disconnect/reconnect, it gets stuck and the 'Start Charging' button appears in-app, in a really stupid way. No matter what I do, if I do it quickly, it just won't start charging. But if I go into the Tesla app, unlock charge port, hang up the cable, then < back out of the CHARGING page in the Tesla phone app, then go straight back into the CHARGING page, tap open charge port, and then start the charge off the charger again, calmly, it'll come good.

I believe it's linked to 2021.4.18 - but I can't prove it.
100k, wow, Anything in the car beginning to fail or still all good?

26th of June at the Wallsend NRMA charger. A Kona had just finished charging at the same stand. I ended up at the NCC charger near Markettown (ChargeFox Trittium) and it worked OK
Last year? :p

I've been charging every day or two over the last couple of weeks at NRMA Wallsend. Have had it happen half a dozen times on both units. Looks like it's charging .. flashing green Tesla symbol on charge port. Charging on screen at 0kw. Usually takes 1 or 2 replugs. Have also reset the charger with the emergency stop which can help (or has a nice placebo effect).

Last year? :p

I've been charging every day or two over the last couple of weeks at NRMA Wallsend. Have had it happen half a dozen times on both units. Looks like it's charging .. flashing green Tesla symbol on charge port. Charging on screen at 0kw. Usually takes 1 or 2 replugs. Have also reset the charger with the emergency stop which can help (or has a nice placebo effect).
D’oh!