Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trivial warranty service requests

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
I’ve been pretty lucky with my 2020 M3P that nothing major has gone wrong (touch wood) or been damaged or broken on arrival. That being said, I have had quite a few fit and finish issues.

So far, off the top of my head, I’ve had:
  1. Water marks under the lacquer on one of my wheels on delivery. Wheel replaced.

2. Condensation in both outer taillights. Both replaced.

3. Misaligned chrome trim and two tiny paint chips on delivery. Not massive, but irritating to me. Fixed by SC.

4. Bonnet slightly misaligned horizontally. SC tried to fix, made it worse and told me it was “within tolerance” (it looked like a 911 at the front). Fixed myself.

5. One of my doors had a handle that was not located properly in the gap, so it sat about 1-2mm lower. Mobile ranger fixed.

6. Both rear doors “sticky” when opening. SC applied some grease which has helped it.

7. Small marks on seats from contact with the seat belts. A “known problem”. SC couldn’t fix but said it has been noted and I would be told when they knew the next steps (I’m expecting to never hear about it again)

8. One centre console side panel wasn’t in properly due to the wires behind being routed slightly wrong and pushing it out. Mobile ranger fixed.
Quite a few of these problems have been reported and fixed when I’ve found them, because they weren’t immediately obvious or only became obvious once I’d seen another car and realised mine wasn’t right, rather than all in one go.

A couple of them I could perhaps have fixed myself (e.g. centre console side panel) but I didn’t want to risk pulling it off and breaking clips or whatever.

Just yesterday I noticed after washing the car that the rubber seal that runs around the bottom of the drivers door had come unstuck in the middle, and was hanging down a bit. The adhesive had failed and attempting to reattach it did not work. I’ve opened another service request and it’s to be fixed by a ranger in September.

For my own peace of mind - it isn’t “wrong” to get (and continue to get) these things fixed under warranty, right? I mean even though they aren’t significant it’s still a failure that ought to be covered?

Neither the SC or ranger has made any comments about the number of minor things they’ve fixed, so I’ve got no reason to suspect that it’s an issue, but I’m just curious about other people’s thoughts…

LukeUK

Feb 25, 2020
Shropshire, UK
The trim on the inside of the B pillar isn't particularly good at staying put. It's easy to catch it and for it to slightly pull away. It goes back, but it's annoying.

I haven't done anything about it, perhaps I should.

Reactions: Durzel

Nick77

Deep Blue Model 3 LR (2021 MIC)
Mar 15, 2020
Burton-on-Trent
The centre console side trim is very easy to pull away. I did it when routing my dashcam cable to the 12v. They have metal clips so won't break easily.

Reactions: Durzel

Godsense

Mar 5, 2020
UK
I have thought the same as you before, so totally get where you are coming from but should you fix something under warranty, no. Worse still, mess it up and they might refuse.

Door seals was common. I've had 3 out of 4 changed.

Mobile is always super friendly and even said to me they have no issues at all attending for minor issues.

Horatio Alger

Nov 20, 2020
Glasgow
Confession. I did raise a service call when some of the games wouldn't run, "Waiting to update" error. My niece and nephew like playing the games in the car (is my excuse).

Service suggested a 2 finger reboot, which fixed things. The service agent, to his credit, didn't ridicule me or even sound vaguely sneery. Not sure I'd have been as professional.

Anyway. Sky Force is a hoot. Oops...

VanillaAir_UK

Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
Thanks all, feel a bit better about it now :)

I've added a couple of existing trim/fit issues onto a service appointment - not worthwhile as a dedicated booking but now its booked in for something bigger I would like them looked at even though I temporarily fixed the issue - not for the first time. I just need to track down my original photos to add to the appointment.

Hopefully they will check the front suspension too as routine.

Reactions: Godsense and Durzel
Jan 20, 2020
Crawley
When I will be back from holiday I will open a ticket for it. Now is worst than 6 month ago.
20210825_201054.jpg
20210825_201027.jpg
20210825_201004.jpg

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Yeah, if you're lucky then they might fix it but if they clock the tints (hard to miss from those photos) then they'll say that it's moisture from the install.

Rustybkts

Feb 8, 2020
Leicestershire
Must be extremely thin paint. You can remove them by gently levering with a plastic knife against the shelf.
They are held down by bent tabs. You cannot access below them to bend them back but they go back down and stay down without doing so.

I removed them to install uprated speakers that came with my Hansshow premium sound system.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC