TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Trolley Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by bylund, Apr 1, 2015.

1. bylund

bylund Member

Tallinn, Estonia, has a trolleybus network, and Estonia has a well established charging network. There are plans to allow electric cars in public transport lanes, and when doing so they are hoping to take this one step further by allowing charging while driving, using the trolleybus electric overhead wires.

Today I can reveal that I had the opportunity to test the system when I was there. Since the system is 600 V DC it is similar to super chargers and other fast charging systems, and the big advantage is that you don't have to stop for charging. You can't drive faster than 60 km/h (38 mph) while charging, but in the city you're not allowed to go faster anyway.

The hopes are that this pilot program will enable rolling fast chargers, not only for Teslas, around 60 kms apart.

hxYjs6K.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152931636594818&set=a.384918929817.167476.680699817&type=1

2. GSP

GSP Member

Cute, but no need in today's world of 500 km cars with 500 km/hr Superchargers. Just install more superchargers, and offer 600 km cars when the next generation batteries are available.

GSP

3. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

ha ha... cute... being April 1st and all.

4. EVenthusiast

EVenthusiast Member

Now we just have to wait for media to pick this up ;)

5. bylund

bylund Member

Yes, it was an April's joke, which I hope even media would understand :)

6. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

This Prius is supposedly real... Anyone in San Francisco seen it?

Prius_SP_Hero-728x425.jpg

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I would have to see that Prius with my own eyes to believe it.

8. EVenthusiast

EVenthusiast Member

No way, not a single reference can be found prior to April 1st (see this 'article' for details), it would be very illegal (safety, theft of services, etc.), no other pics/angles can be found, and carfax doesn't show any hits for that license plate (database isn't accurate, but combined with other facts ...).

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

There is no way the Prius roof could handle that load, and it wouldn't be a very practical vehicle if the back seat was taken up with mounting.

10. mmh

mmh Member

11. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Yeah, they just spent a bit more time on the joke. I got to say that bylund's mounting system seems to be a lot more elegant, but the poles seem a bit short to reach the wires.