Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trouble commissioning Wall Connect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I have a new Tesla Wall Connector (TWC), and it is installed with a 40 amp fuse box. Electrician has wired it in, but I am having trouble commissioning it. I need to tell the Wall connect to use a maximum of 32 amps when charging. (Electrician has warned me to leave a 20% buffer for safety.) What I have done...

1) Pushed button on handle for 5 seconds. Six green LED bars on TWC light up.
2) Scanned QR code on my pamphlet with my iPad. Got a message that it was trying to connect. Seems good.
3) Gone into Settings on my iPad, and checked wifi. It shows Tesla wall charger with a green checkmark. Great, my iPad sees the TWC network.
-- However, it is not connecting after waiting a while. Says no internet.
-- I go to Safari and try manually entering URL. Tries to load but never does.
4) Go onto internet look for answers. Not much. The thing is supposed to ask me for password, but it never has.
5) Send email to Tesla for help. No answer after several days.
6) Try internet again. Someone suggests trying again with airplane mode on. Then turning it on just as TWC boots up after holding button on handle turns on wifi.
7) Progress! I now see picture of TWC which gives the model number and the Tesla serial number. These match those on installation pamphlet. However...
8) Spinning circle goes on forever. It never asks me for my password.

I feel like I am 99.5% of the way there. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help. Warm regards, Rick.

Reactions: whitex
Hi Bob2C.
Thanks for your reply. I'm not using iCloud, and I checked my iPad and I don't have any 'Private Relay' settings in the network connection for the TWC network.

I've tried several times more, and contacted Tesla again. Still no reply.

Thank you so much for trying to help.

Warm regards, Rick.

Hi Bob2C.
Thanks for your reply. I'm not using iCloud, and I checked my iPad and I don't have any 'Private Relay' settings in the network connection for the TWC network.

I've tried several times more, and contacted Tesla again. Still no reply.

Thank you so much for trying to help.

Warm regards, Rick.
Keep trying. It took me several attempts even with private relay off. It’s kinda quirky.

Hi everyone, thanks to all that tried to help.

I finally got a reply from Tesla and they suggested that after the TWC wifi was active that I type in this...

192.168.92.1/installation

I tried this and it asked me for my country and how many amps the breaker would provide. I then saved, and was finished.

Thanks again to the community. Warm regards, Rick.

Reactions: whitex and Bob2C
Hi all,
I have a new Tesla Wall Connector (TWC), and it is installed with a 40 amp fuse box. Electrician has wired it in, but I am having trouble commissioning it. I need to tell the Wall connect to use a maximum of 32 amps when charging. (Electrician has warned me to leave a 20% buffer for safety.) What I have done...

1) Pushed button on handle for 5 seconds. Six green LED bars on TWC light up.
2) Scanned QR code on my pamphlet with my iPad. Got a message that it was trying to connect. Seems good.
3) Gone into Settings on my iPad, and checked wifi. It shows Tesla wall charger with a green checkmark. Great, my iPad sees the TWC network.
-- However, it is not connecting after waiting a while. Says no internet.
-- I go to Safari and try manually entering URL. Tries to load but never does.
4) Go onto internet look for answers. Not much. The thing is supposed to ask me for password, but it never has.
5) Send email to Tesla for help. No answer after several days.
6) Try internet again. Someone suggests trying again with airplane mode on. Then turning it on just as TWC boots up after holding button on handle turns on wifi.
7) Progress! I now see picture of TWC which gives the model number and the Tesla serial number. These match those on installation pamphlet. However...
8) Spinning circle goes on forever. It never asks me for my password.

I feel like I am 99.5% of the way there. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help. Warm regards, Rick.
We spent hours trying to commission our WC. The five green lights would change to a solid red and no one could explain why we were not getting the single flashing green.
Finally someone at Tesla advised scanning the two codes and then skipping the wifi and software sections, and going straight to Installation. From there > select country > set max output (ours was 32) > enable ground monitor interrupter. The red light on the WC then turned to a flashing green and we could charge. Amazing!
The thing is, that you don’t need internet to initially commission the WC. Ignore the “no internet
“ message and go straight to Installation.
Bluey

Reactions: Bob2C
I am super new here, but I found a simple solution to this issue. Yes, if you heard those thuds, it was me banging my head against the wall. After "finding" the Tesla and SSID, aka the devices password. (If you are as unlucky as we were, did not have the instructions and the scan codes. You will find it inside the actual charger. PLEASE turn it off at the breaker before you unscrew the front.) So, when you turn it back on, assuming the cover is firmly and properly in place. It will by default go into wifi broadcast mode. Carefully, since the password is sensitive to case, lower or upper, enter your password. Once you can connect to the charger's wifi you may need to take two more steps. The instructions tell you to go into airplane mode. That was not enough for me. You should tell your device to "FORGET" your home internet and any other local internet that you can access with your mobile device. This allows the wall charger to respond to the (http://192.168.92.1) request. The Wall Charger opens its page on your browser. Once open you can connect to your internet and choose the max Amps for your charger. Limit who can charge or whatever else the wall charger can do. Feel free to cut and paste the http and insert it into a browser that helped me save time as I did not have the paperwork. Any other network that the phone/mobile device sees it automatically reconnects and disconnects the Wall Charger connection. Hope this helped. I did use some of the suggestions from above. Thanks.

Hi everyone, thanks to all that tried to help.

I finally got a reply from Tesla and they suggested that after the TWC wifi was active that I type in this...

192.168.92.1/installation

I tried this and it asked me for my country and how many amps the breaker would provide. I then saved, and was finished.

Thanks again to the community. Warm regards, Rick.
This worked for me - thanks - wondering why it was just spinning even though the charger actually had been setup automatically behind the scenes.