Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trouble coupling to and detaching adapters from the UMC?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
All, my UMC and the 5-15/14-50 adapters go through a lot of cycles of coupling/decoupling to each other as I plug in into the 14-50 at home at night and into the 5-15 at work every day.

This used to be very slick and easy initially with pushing the button on top to detach and with an easy slide-in-and-click to attach. Of late though, they've gotten very "sticky" and it takes a lot of effort to get the UMC to decouple from either of the adapters. Pushing in takes some effort too and there's no longer a click that can be heard.

Anyone else seen the same? With all the cycles, I expected the coupling to go loose over time but, it's actually gone the other way. Could the noticeable heat during charging be changing those plastic/rubber ends? I don't see any visible damage there.

I'm due for a UMC refresh anyway when I go into a service center (as my due bill notes the missing aluminum trim at the end) but, just wondering...

All, my UMC and the 5-15/14-50 adapters go through a lot of cycles of coupling/decoupling to each other as I plug in into the 14-50 at home at night and into the 5-15 at work every day.

This used to be very slick and easy initially with pushing the button on top to detach and with an easy slide-in-and-click to attach. Of late though, they've gotten very "sticky" and it takes a lot of effort to get the UMC to decouple from either of the adapters. Pushing in takes some effort too and there's no longer a click that can be heard.

Anyone else seen the same? With all the cycles, I expected the coupling to go loose over time but, it's actually gone the other way. Could the noticeable heat during charging be changing those plastic/rubber ends? I don't see any visible damage there.

I'm due for a UMC refresh anyway when I go into a service center (as my due bill notes the missing aluminum trim at the end) but, just wondering...
Very possible the heat is the issue. I thought I read that the suspect batch of UMCs were given out around the same time as the aluminum pieces were missing (not that they are directly related, just that was the timeframe). So obviously I'd call Tesla service and let them know and see I you can get a new UMC soon!

Check your 14-50 adapter for a mold parting line on the outside of the barrel. My service manager had me check mine, saying that if it did have the parting line, he'd replace it...something about a bad batch of adapters.

Check your 14-50 adapter for a mold parting line on the outside of the barrel. My service manager had me check mine, saying that if it did have the parting line, he'd replace it...something about a bad batch of adapters.

The replacement adapter I received was of the same revision, so must've been a manufacturing variance.

A general word to the wise: keep checking your UMC for heat at the adapter. Mine was regularly cold to the touch and over time developed the melting problem, generating heat inside the adapter coupling that registered 250 degrees F or more. Tesla replaced it a few weeks ago and now it's nice and cool again.

Thanks all for the input. After charging from 110V at work today, I couldn't decouple them at all today and they seem fused together for good! It's slowly charging from 120V at home now. Off to the Menlo Park service center for me tomorrow morning...

To close the loop on this, went into the Menlo Park SC today well before the opening time of 9 am. The manager there was nice enough to let me in and got me a new UMC and 110V adapter; in and out in less than 15 min. I finally have the aluminum trim at the end ;)

Ps: while I was there, atleast 5 or 6 other Model S came in with door handle issues and other nits. There were a few cars already in the service bay. The service techs are reaaaalllly busy!

I was absent mindedly changing adapters once and forgot to push the little button. I kept tugging until the adapter ripped of, taking the little locking spring with it. Adapters slide right on and off now! I asked my service rep about it and he didn't think there was really a fix for it and would just replace the cable next time I meet service face to face.