Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trouble getting refund from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I purchased a M3 on 06/21 and did third party lending from smaller credit union in Washington state (best rates) that I’ve used before for auto lending when I resided there. I’ve since moved to GA where I took delivery of the car. After taking the check there they told me that GA can only process liens electronically and that my CU wasn’t electronically compliant. After a quick search Tesla was correct and the CU didn’t seem open to registering with the state. After a few back and forth conversations with the advisor at the delivery center he said the only choice was to find alternate funding which I did but before I dropped off the check I made sure with the advisor the first check wasn’t processed which he said it wasn’t. Well turns out he lied because they cashed both checks. Since then it’s been weeks and the refund still hasn’t be mailed out to satisfy the original loan. It’s impossible to get anyone to help me from Tesla and my only point of contact is the 1-800 number. They did put me in touch with some manager there who said it would mail out on July 7th or 8th at the latest and it still hasn’t mailed out and now he won’t respond to any calls or texts. It’s a refund for 58k and no one can give me an answer or seems to even care. Legally what type of options do I have here?

Any time you go outside the norm with Tesla you are screwed and nobody knows what to do because there is no “script” for it. They are not being evil, they are just being dumb.

I’d just keep pecking around until you find the right person that can fix it. Take names and phone numbers and demand follow ups. Legal path will only cost you and probably not happen any quicker.

Reactions: 3geekfamily
thanks everyone. its been over 4 weeks since they admitted cashing a check when they said they didnt and still no refund. i called the call center the other day and its been the first time someone actually said a time frame for the refund. He said it takes 2-3 months and was really sassy about it like i'm ridiculous for asking for the 58k they took when they shouldnt have.

On November 23, 2019, the first day that the Cybertruck orders went on line, I ordered a Cybertruck. Later in the day I realized that I had ordered the basic one, which would likely not be among those first produced, so I ordered a second one with the Tri meter AWD, and got Order Numbers for both of them. I charged the deposit to my AMEX card. Recently I decided that there was no point in keeping the reservation for the basic one, so I cancelled it on 5/24/2022, and got an emailed notice that it was cancelled. However, I never received the $100 refund. After numerous calls, Tesla insists that it refunded the deposit to the card at 3:36 PM that day. However, the refund never showed up and AMEX checked and said it was never received. Tesla gave me a 16 digit transaction number but AMEX said that they cannot trace it. I have always used the same credit card when ordering both my 2016 Model S and my 2020 Model Y, as well as for all my Tesla service. I have considered filing a small claim in the Pinellas County court, but its hardly worth my time for $100.

On November 23, 2019, the first day that the Cybertruck orders went on line, I ordered a Cybertruck. Later in the day I realized that I had ordered the basic one, which would likely not be among those first produced, so I ordered a second one with the Tri meter AWD, and got Order Numbers for both of them. I charged the deposit to my AMEX card. Recently I decided that there was no point in keeping the reservation for the basic one, so I cancelled it on 5/24/2022, and got an emailed notice that it was cancelled. However, I never received the $100 refund. After numerous calls, Tesla insists that it refunded the deposit to the card at 3:36 PM that day. However, the refund never showed up and AMEX checked and said it was never received. Tesla gave me a 16 digit transaction number but AMEX said that they cannot trace it. I have always used the same credit card when ordering both my 2016 Model S and my 2020 Model Y, as well as for all my Tesla service. I have considered filing a small claim in the Pinellas County court, but its hardly worth my time for $100.
dispute the charge with AMX and have them refund it.

Tesla messed up my registration here in NY, they put me under the wrong address completely. My DL & Forms I filled online had the correct address. It caused my plates to go to the wrong place, I had to fix everything myself and they promised to reimburse the various forms and fees. They kept saying I'd get a check and then I just get voicemails anytime they transfer me.

They still haven't a year later, just filing in small claims anyway including the registration fee they charged me since I had to do it all myself.