TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Trouble in NC: Senate Bill 327

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Citizen-T, May 3, 2013.

1. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Not here too! Tesla just posted on Facebook that there is a bill proposed in the NC Senate that would prevent them from selling to North Carolinians.

Capture.PNG

Looks like it is our turn to fight the good fight. Check out Tesla Motors NC

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Wow. Unacceptable. What's next, you'll have to hide your Tesla from the authorities?

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Hide your Roadster, hide your Model S.

Wow. This would be even worse than what Texas has. Talk about free markets and using the legislature to stifle competition.

4. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

I don't know if I'm misreading the bill but I don't believe it prevents Tesla from selling vehicles in NC. It simply requires that they have a license to do so. I'm not an attorney so what did I miss?

5. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

To me, the problem is that all sales have to be in a showroom and Internet sales are not allowed. I see that the bill's sponsor is from where I grew up. May have to give him a call and see what's up.

6. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

This is what I got out of it when I read it. It seems to say that you have to sell in a licensed showroom. You can't sell over the internet. I'm not even sure that is constitutional. Doesn't that step on the Fed's authority over interstate commerce?

7. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

When will people get tire of the power grabbing government.

Someone please explain to me what is the governments business when a legal state resident wants to buy a car?

Must the government truly regulate EVERYTHING?

So tiring to see this constant and unrelenting expansion of government into every little aspect of our lives.

8. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Last time I bought a car at a GM dealership the sales guy was entering the order on a computer accessing the Internet as I recall.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

The dealers aren't going to give up their slice of the pie without a fight.

10. Born 2 Skydive

A public hearing on SB 327 will be held on Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 11:00 a.m. in room 1027 in the Legislative Building where supporters will be welcome. NC Tesla owners and Reservation owners we need to show our support.
    They are trying to kill the electric car. Again!!!!!!! I will be making the 200 mile trip in my Tesla for this.

11. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

I'll try to be there. I know a guy at work that has a Model S. Not sure if he is on the forum or not, but I'll let him know what is going on.

12. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

But it's the politicians that vote and pass laws.

Why do politicians even think this is their job to worry about?
    Why pass laws that tell citizens how they can buy cars??

13. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Because their campaigns are bankrolled by people who want something. If the every day person contributed enough or bankrolled a challenger in an election then something else might happen.

14. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

You are awesome. Go get 'em.

15. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

+1 Thanks for doing this!

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"NC knows best. You don't to buy stuff on the 'intertubes'. We'll keep you from it for your own good."

Nanny state.

17. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

This isn't a nanny state situation, that would be where they legislate that you can't get a double-shot espresso due to the extra caffeine, single shots only!

This is almost certainly lobbyist-driven legislation to address the fears of the traditional auto dealers' association.

Or at least to me it appears that the NC Auto Dealers Association has some lobbyists writing bills for our legislature to rubber-stamp in order to stack the deck against innovation and competition.

It is hard to think of an industry more despised and ridiculed than the typical sleazy auto dealerships that dot this state like a pox, and this underhanded, cowardly move to stifle the sales of a car made in the US with parts from over two dozen NC suppliers definitely doesn't make them look any more honest.

While I'm not yet sure if I can make the public hearing on Tuesday, I'll certainly be giving my representatives in the NC legislature an earful on Monday!

18. richkae

richkae VIN587

No this is called "crony capitalism" or more verbosely: "your local autodealer has lots of money and can buy the government he wants".

19. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

"Nanny state" is when your state tells you that you can't buy a service plan because it's "insurance" and as a simple citizen you're not smart enough to deal with that decision. (Can you hear me Tallahassee?)

The NC bill is absurd in the extreme....make noise folks, the politicians deserve to be embarrassed.

20. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

It somehow Makes me a bit happy (but Im not happy about it) that dealers go to such lengths to try to invalidate Teslas purchase model - it only means they actually fear the future because they consider Tesla a car company that will have such a vast impact on the future of car sales. They fear Tesla will succeed, they think Tesla will succeed. They truly believe their days In fact is numbered.

If i were stateside I would drive from anywhere to show my support In all cases In every state lobbyism on the subject has happened.