Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trouble keeping the car clean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it is just the time of year, but I feel like my car (green) exterior is never clean for more than ten minutes. My wife thinks it has to do with the how the paint is applied using ionized particles... But I'm not so sure. That said, this car literally attacts dust.

Am I the only one noticing this?

I've got black, and it is a huge battle. I'm getting a detail today and I have no doubt that it's going to look dirty before I get the thing parked in my garage. I bought one of those California dusters and am hoping it will help for routine dust, but this late winter/early (snowy) spring has put actual mud and dirt and road salt all over the car and that duster is pointless to even try for that stuff. Anything but a thorough hand wash is also pretty pointless as even though it gets the 'chunks' off, there's still a film of dirt visible on close inspection that really takes away some of the shine.

All that said, I think that it's no worse than any other dark car, perhaps we just notice it more b/c of the styling and finish and newness.

My green's the same way too. Yes, the pollen this time of the year is not helping but, my car (in a garage at home and in an enclosed parking structure at work) looks dusty all the time! Even when compared to other dark-colored cars parked alongside at work.

I do suspect a link between the way the paint is applied to the aluminum body and all the dust.

The roads here are very dusty. I've mostly noticed it on the rear of the car. The back of the lift gate and the rear bumper. The California Car Duster cleans it up pretty well. The rest of the car gets dirty mostly on the lower door panels but not dusty. I should probably admit that I've been detailing it a little obsessively though. I've never even hand washed a car before but I must admit, I'm enjoying it. Finding it meditative. It's a wonderful "mindfulness" exercise. Who woulda thunk it?:smile:

Maybe it is just the time of year, but I feel like my car (green) exterior is never clean for more than ten minutes. My wife thinks it has to do with the how the paint is applied using ionized particles... But I'm not so sure. That said, this car literally attacts dust.

Your paint wasn't applied using ionized particles. They haven't employed that technique yet, therefore the paint was sprayed on and baked dry like many other cars. I think they intended to use that technique, but it never got implemented at the factory. I have owned cars with the ionized powdered spray paint technique (E60 BMW) and it didn't really seem to attract more dust than any other car, although it was a silver car.

My black P85 seems to attract dust too, but is easily removed with a microfiber dust off.

Sent via Tapatalk

I think the comments above about aerodynamics are correct. The way the air comes off the back of the car deposits grime on the rear 1/3 of the car. I have white, and the back 1/3 of the car is filthy, but the front is clean as a whistle.

I noticed the same thing! I keep a soft cloth and instant detail handy. I believe it's the air dam below the rear bumper that's causing it. Literally vacuums dirt off the road.

I think the comments above about aerodynamics are correct. The way the air comes off the back of the car deposits grime on the rear 1/3 of the car. I have white, and the back 1/3 of the car is filthy, but the front is clean as a whistle.

I too agree. I am not sure if TM thought about this problem or the capabilities either in terms of techology or time to correct for it, but my white MS certainly gets dirty in back much more quickly than my white Jag XJ.

No. While driving my white model S (with dirt all over the back and in the indentations on the sides), I was passed by someone in a red model S. My passenger's first comment: "Boy, his car is a lot dirtier than yours".

It's gotta be an aerodynamic effect. Oh well, I always drove dirty cars, what do I care.

Cleaner Car

I went with the gray which is probably easier to keep clean than the darker colors. I'll share two tips that might prolong the life of a wash or detail and keep your car cleaner just a little longer. I've had good luck with the waterless car wash fluid that gives the car a very slippery finish that dust has a hard time sticking to. I think I go longer between washes using this magic sauce. My detailer turned me onto it. The car looks great, and it's a waterless wash to boot. Cheesy name and website but a good product: http://www.buyoverthetop.com

I also added some aerodynamic pods under the car at the very rear. The idea is to shoot the air off the car into streams rather than letting the air wrap back around the flat license plate section where negative air pressure tends to build on most cars. Remembered the dusty back window of your dads station wagon? It seems to keep the back of the car a bit cleaner and perhaps enhances the aerodynamics of the vehicle as well: GasPods.com