TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Trouble on my commute this morning

Discussion in 'Model S' started by brantse, Nov 2, 2016.

1. brantse

brantse Member

This morning on my drive to work, my early S60 (P110xx) just decided to quit driving on me. Just about 12 months ago, I had a very similar occurrence. Just like the last time, alerts flashed up, the gear selector indicators turned red, and the car had all functionality except applying/absorbing power. After about 20 minutes and speaking with roadside assistance, who dispatched a tow truck, the alert went away and car could be driven again. Since the tow truck was over an hour away, I decided I might as well continue on to work. I continued driving for about 15 minutes or so, when again, the car decided to disable driving functions. About 20 minutes later, voila.... I could drive again. Now about 2 miles away from work, I continued again and quickly receieved a "reduced power" message. Fortunately, I was able to limp into my workplace and had the tow truck pick the car up here.

The car has now been towed about 150 miles to the nearest service center, and I await the findings.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  2. GJ79

GJ79 Member

Sorry to hear that, I had a similar experience when there was an issue with the battery pack. But it actually showed a 12Volt Battery alert on the screen although it was caused by the main pack.

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Could be the main pack contactors. I had the exact same thing happen. Car was unuseable for an hour or so, then while waiting for Roadside, it started working again. I was able to nurse it in to the Service Center and they had to drop the battery pack and replace the HV contactors.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got the 12v battery error too.