Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trouble with cancellation refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

A couple weeks ago I cancelled my reservation on the Model 3. Funds were sent back into my bank debit card account that I recently closed and switched to another bank. Initially when I called Tesla they told me they sent the funds to my Bank on Jan 31st and it showed they received the funds around Feb 2. The Tesla rep said the bank never sent them the money back since banks don't often do that. I called the bank and opened a claim with the results saying that the bank sent the funds back to Tesla since my account was closed, on Jan 31st. The exact same date Tesla gave me! I honestly don't know who to believe, but I emailed Tesla with the reference and ARN# of the transaction the bank sent them the money.

Is there anything else I can do to get a straight answer and expedite the process? Anyone in a similar experience?

Thanks a lot!

Hi everyone,

A couple weeks ago I cancelled my reservation on the Model 3. Funds were sent back into my bank debit card account that I recently closed and switched to another bank. Initially when I called Tesla they told me they sent the funds to my Bank on Jan 31st and it showed they received the funds around Feb 2. The Tesla rep said the bank never sent them the money back since banks don't often do that. I called the bank and opened a claim with the results saying that the bank sent the funds back to Tesla since my account was closed, on Jan 31st. The exact same date Tesla gave me! I honestly don't know who to believe, but I emailed Tesla with the reference and ARN# of the transaction the bank sent them the money.

Is there anything else I can do to get a straight answer and expedite the process? Anyone in a similar experience?

Thanks a lot!
It looks like you've caused a lot of confusion by closing that account.

I'd wait for Tesla to to track down the info you gave them or call in with the same info to hopefully get a faster answer.

This raises a question with me. The credit card I used got transferred to a new company and I no longer have that account. It wasn't my choice it is just what happened. Anyway is there a way to get a refund posted to a different credit card than what was used? I don't plan on requesting a cancellation/refund currently but this just popped up in my mind. I already paid that balance off and so I'm afraid it would end up in lala land.

This raises a question with me. The credit card I used got transferred to a new company and I no longer have that account. It wasn't my choice it is just what happened. Anyway is there a way to get a refund posted to a different credit card than what was used? I don't plan on requesting a cancellation/refund currently but this just popped up in my mind. I already paid that balance off and so I'm afraid it would end up in lala land.
If that were to happen to someone, maybe they could request a check vs an electronic refund. It might take longer but would probably be safer in the long run.

Reactions: jsrawa and jsanford

In theory your bank would end up with a credit on a closed account that links to your new account and it should roll over to your new account. YMMV though as not all banks operate the same.

Yikes, that's a really good question too. Most credit card companies will immediately decline the refund. The merchant may be notified immediately or within a few days.
Once they get notification of the refund failure then you can arrange an alternate method of receiving the refund.

• Informative
Reactions: jsanford

I think Tesla said that after a year they would issue a check instead of refunding to the credit card. So people that reserved on day one are getting close to the point of getting a check...

If that were to happen to someone, maybe they could request a check vs an electronic refund. It might take longer but would probably be safer in the long run.

Thanks I just wasn't sure what the options were when you request a refund. I didn't know if you were even given an option.

In theory your bank would end up with a credit on a closed account that links to your new account and it should roll over to your new account. YMMV though as not all banks operate the same.

Basically what happened is I have a credit card that is regulated by a business as a benefit that had special terms. AMEX used to have the exclusive right to issue those cards. It lost that right this year so I was issued a new card from Citi (a visa) and all of my account info was moved over BUT AMEX no longer handles my account. I am guessing that there is no way that there is a link between AMEX and Citi. I am guessing the refund will be declined.

Yikes, that's a really good question too. Most credit card companies will immediately decline the refund. The merchant may be notified immediately or within a few days.
Once they get notification of the refund failure then you can arrange an alternate method of receiving the refund.

This is similar to the OP where his bank was moved. It sounds like Tesla at least is somewhat working with him even though the timing might be slow. I was just curious if there was some way I could notify them when doing the cancellation that the card I used is no longer valid and they would have to either credit back to another card or issue a check ahead of time so I wouldn't have to let them figure out it was closed and then go through some slow process to take the next step.

I think Tesla said that after a year they would issue a check instead of refunding to the credit card. So people that reserved on day one are getting close to the point of getting a check...

That is good news. I am only a month + 10 days from that point since I reserved in store.

Thanks I just wasn't sure what the options were when you request a refund. I didn't know if you were even given an option.

Basically what happened is I have a credit card that is regulated by a business as a benefit that had special terms. AMEX used to have the exclusive right to issue those cards. It lost that right this year so I was issued a new card from Citi (a visa) and all of my account info was moved over BUT AMEX no longer handles my account. I am guessing that there is no way that there is a link between AMEX and Citi. I am guessing the refund will be declined.

This is similar to the OP where his bank was moved. It sounds like Tesla at least is somewhat working with him even though the timing might be slow. I was just curious if there was some way I could notify them when doing the cancellation that the card I used is no longer valid and they would have to either credit back to another card or issue a check ahead of time so I wouldn't have to let them figure out it was closed and then go through some slow process to take the next step.

That is good news. I am only a month + 10 days from that point since I reserved in store.

I would suggest you letting Tesla know ahead because they will not automatically let you know your old card was closed. Tesla mentioned nothing to me about whether my refund was issued and whether it went through or not. They kept claiming that it did go through even when I explained to them that the account was closed. So I had to file a claim with my own bank to get some reference numbers to show Tesla that indeed the refund could not be posted to my account and was returned to Tesla.

I am very familiar with the Costco situation from Citi's end. In this case your card was transferred to Citi June 20 2016 but just like you thought we unfortunately have no link between your old Amex number and your new Citi Visa number.

So Citi would have no hand in the situation. I am not sure how Amex will exactly handle this, by declining the refund or by accepting it and then sending you a credit balance refund. Whatever the case I would not image this would happen quickly, bank tends to take their time for stuff like this.

To the OP, I would give it a few more days, it will turn up. Sometimes refund can take up to 10 days to post.

Not directly related, but I've had a refund posted to a closed credit card account and the credit card bank then issued me a check. (Admittedly, it wasn't many months after it closed like is being discussed here, but the account was closed nonetheless).

There's a surprisingly long "limbo" time when it comes to bank transactions. You'd think carrier pigeons were used some days (on maybe just the good days...?).

• Funny
Reactions: JeffK