Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trouble with Dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you using a USB splitter? If so use the data port side. But if connect the USB directly to the port with our a splitter it should work. Also try both ports. If that fails then I would try a different storage device. I like the Samsung 1 TB SSD drive.

I had a few issues as well getting my DashCam set up. Don’t know if you’re using a Mac to format, but what ultimately resolved it for me was running First Aid on the stick within the Disk Utility program.
So Im on Windows, however at this point, ive tried the long version of formatting several times now in the last 24 hours and haven't come to 100% completion even after several hours per attempt. Losing my goddam mind with this! haha. Ill try to Repair the disk first and try again.

I had to try a few times initially to get my dash cam going. Tried reformatting, other usb drives, rebooting display, and car, and still no go. After a couple times of reformatting and following procedures it decided to start working. No error message ever telling me anything was wrong. This page give a good procedure to get things going. Tesla Sentry Mode & Tesla Dashcam USB Step by Step Setup and Guide (and still weird, nothing is in my recent folder ever, but I'm able to save recordings etc.)

Ok! This is excellent information! I was not aware the "TeslaCam" need three additional sub-folders within it to function properly! Ill be taking care of this on my lunch break today and hopefully this resolves my issues! Thanks for the insight!
You don’t need to create these folders. The only one you need is a folder titled “TeslaCam.” Once you plug your drive in to the USB port in the vehicle, the other folders will be created automatically and will be sub folders of the main TeslaCam folder. Some people, including myself, are not able to view the hourly overwritten dashcam clips being saved to the recent clips folder. Tesla’s response was to reboot the car and then perform a shutdown procedure. Hopefully that will solve this issue but I’m not holding my breath.

Does another USB stick with music on it work? (You should see it as a media option on the far right). If it doesn't, then you might have a USB controller issue. I had my model 3 four four months and no USB stick would be recognized by the car. Made a service appointment and the Ranger swapped out the USB module.

i have a SSD drive in the model S. Has worked flawlessly for about a year, and reported an error last week. Tried a quick format, and re-created the TeslaCam folder but it is not recognised anymore. Tried a full format, same effect.
Could it be an issue with the latest software version? Running 2020.12.11.5 now.

Just completed the 2 minute shutdown as Tesla support suggested. Whadda you know, it worked. It is now recording and/or I’m able to see all recordings in the recent clips folder after I went for a 40 minute drive. My props to Tesla support for this simple fix. I suggest anyone having issues dashcam issues give it a go.

Just completed the 2 minute shutdown as Tesla support suggested. Whadda you know, it worked. It is now recording and/or I’m able to see all recordings in the recent clips folder after I went for a 40 minute drive. My props to Tesla support for this simple fix. I suggest anyone having issues dashcam issues give it a go.
What do you mean by 2 minute shutdown? I’m having the same dashcam issues as mentioned here and haven’t been able to get this fixed...