Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trouble with Dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner, 3/2020 Model 3, finally got myself the memory stick recommended in the manual. 128GB. I formatted it according to the manual multiple times and yet the vehicle is not recognizing the stick for dashcam purposes. I have the dash cam icon with the gray X. Any solutions out there?

Secondly, Ive had sentry mode on and come back to the vehicle with several events, however I cant find any info on how to view these events from the touchscreen. Not sure if this is a tandem issue with the memory stick or not. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

New owner, 3/2020 Model 3, finally got myself the memory stick recommended in the manual. 128GB. I formatted it according to the manual multiple times and yet the vehicle is not recognizing the stick for dashcam purposes. I have the dash cam icon with the gray X. Any solutions out there?

Secondly, Ive had sentry mode on and come back to the vehicle with several events, however I cant find any info on how to view these events from the touchscreen. Not sure if this is a tandem issue with the memory stick or not. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Try the double wheel reboot (press both scroll wheels and hold them until you see the Tesla symbol). That seems to help my dash cam issues.

As for Sentry Mode, I thought you could view them from the new Viewer function.

Reactions: Clappa15

Sentry doesn't record anything- dashcam does. Sentry simply moves the previous 10 minutes of dashcam video into the sentry folder if it goes to alert or alarm modes.

So if dashcam isn't working there won't be any footage for Sentry to have moved.

This is from Tesla:

With our latest firmware update, your TeslaCam’s folder structure may have changed from before. Please refer to the “Dashcam” section in your owner’s manual for more information.

Within your “TeslaCam” folder in your USB drive, there will be three sub-folders labelled as Recent Clips, Sentry Clips and Saved Clips. The footage in Recent Clips constantly loops in a 60-minute cycle when the cameras are activated. Therefore, the footage is constantly being overwritten every hour unless the footage is saved. Footage in the Saved Clips folder contains all saved recordings from dashcam, which are manually saved by touching the dashcam icon on the touchscreen. When you tap the dashcam icon during recording, your vehicle will archive the most recent 10 minutes of video. Lastly, Sentry Clips folder contains all saved footage from Sentry Mode events, which gets saved when the Alert or Alarm states are triggered.

This is from Tesla:

With our latest firmware update, your TeslaCam’s folder structure may have changed from before. Please refer to the “Dashcam” section in your owner’s manual for more information.

Within your “TeslaCam” folder in your USB drive, there will be three sub-folders labelled as Recent Clips, Sentry Clips and Saved Clips. The footage in Recent Clips constantly loops in a 60-minute cycle when the cameras are activated. Therefore, the footage is constantly being overwritten every hour unless the footage is saved. Footage in the Saved Clips folder contains all saved recordings from dashcam, which are manually saved by touching the dashcam icon on the touchscreen. When you tap the dashcam icon during recording, your vehicle will archive the most recent 10 minutes of video. Lastly, Sentry Clips folder contains all saved footage from Sentry Mode events, which gets saved when the Alert or Alarm states are triggered.
Ok! This is excellent information! I was not aware the "TeslaCam" need three additional sub-folders within it to function properly! Ill be taking care of this on my lunch break today and hopefully this resolves my issues! Thanks for the insight!

Created Folders Manually to give it a try... Heres What im seeing...
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

These are probably some of the simple things you have done (like the steering wheel reboot and such), but...

Are you using any USB splitters or hubs? Might want to plug it directly to the USB ports themselves.

Do you have another USB flash drive that you can try?

Is there a software update for your car? Sounds weird, but some people have their problems solved after an update.

If using multiple flash drives and it continues to not work, you should probably schedule an appointment, and maybe a mobile tech can help you out.

If the folders are created automatically, then I still have an issue... "DashCam is not recognizing the USB" Once again, USB has been formatted properly per the manual using 3rd party tool, ive done both soft and hard restarts of the vehicle to no avail.

you have to manually create the TeslaCam folder yourself. The sub folders are created automatically