Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trouble with Model 3 trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C5592533-F938-46A1-8796-DDEE4451F7B2.jpeg
FC8CE76E-4AE6-4D3C-A9EA-7EE0F0A458F7.jpeg
C451EDBD-DF08-4700-A07C-564B477E83DF.jpeg

So I recently purchased a new Tesla model 3. I have had it for six weeks. Last week I opened the trunk and the lid malfunctioned. It lifted up and I heard a loud pop. The pictures show the damage. The trunk lid no longer fits flush with the rest of the car on the driver side. Tesla claims factory defects should have been reported immediately. But this didn’t happen until six weeks later. The service rep who texted me said it wasn’t covered by the warranty. I am waiting to hear back from a service manager. The closest appointment is in three weeks. Has this happened to anyone else? What are my options?

So I recently purchased a new Tesla model 3. I have had it for six weeks. Last week I opened the trunk and the lid malfunctioned. It lifted up and I heard a loud pop. The pictures show the damage. The trunk lid no longer fits flush with the rest of the car on the driver side. Tesla claims factory defects should have been reported immediately. But this didn’t happen until six weeks later. The service rep who texted me said it wasn’t covered by the warranty. I am waiting to hear back from a service manager. The closest appointment is in three weeks. Has this happened to anyone else? What are my options?
They may be treating the damage as something that happened earlier and if it was it should have been reported earlier. I presume you explained the details to them in the app (that it was from a normal operation of the trunk and happened recently). If it happened during normal operation, IMO it should definitely be covered under warranty, regardless of how much later that happened after delivery.

There's a thread here of the same thing happening to others, it's from misalignment of the trunk from factory or a bolt on the strut working loose. Some had it covered under warranty, some had it denied (which they fought). Some had to have the service manager examine it to make a decision (and manager would approve as warranty issue).
2021 Trunk Damage Upon Open/Close

If look at it, there isn't really much way for user error to damage the trunk in that way (especially given it's power trunk, not manual) and it's definitely not "wear and tear" given the age of the car.

Last edited:
They may be treating the damage as something that happened earlier and if it was it should have been reported earlier. I presume you explained the details to them in the app (that it was from a normal operation of the trunk and happened recently). If it happened during normal operation, IMO it should definitely be covered under warranty, regardless of how much later that happened after delivery.

There's a thread here of the same thing happening to others, it's from misalignment of the trunk from factory or a bolt on the strut working loose. Some had it covered under warranty, some had it denied (which they fought). Some had to have the service manager examine it to make a decision (and manager would approve as warranty issue).
2021 Trunk Damage Upon Open/Close

If look at it, there isn't really much way for user error to damage the trunk in that way (especially given it's power trunk, not manual) and it's definitely not "wear and tear" given the age of the car.
Thank you