Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Troubles with Raspberry Pi for Tesla cam and musci

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when you say troubles with WiFi, what exactly is going on?

I struggled for a few hours getting mine working. Turns out, I had to unhide my SSID. Once it was made visible, the script ran and I haven't had to do anything since. The SSD size should not matter. You really only need 16/32GB for the camera size.

I will say that having this is freakin' awesome. All videos go to my Synology, where I keep them for a month before having them auto-purge. Sure beats having to take an SSD out of the car every time.

If anyone here has specific questions on the install, etc. Let me know.

So when you say troubles with WiFi, what exactly is going on?

I struggled for a few hours getting mine working. Turns out, I had to unhide my SSID. Once it was made visible, the script ran and I haven't had to do anything since. The SSD size should not matter. You really only need 16/32GB for the camera size.

I will say that having this is freakin' awesome. All videos go to my Synology, where I keep them for a month before having them auto-purge. Sure beats having to take an SSD out of the car every time.

If anyone here has specific questions on the install, etc. Let me know.
I can't ssh to my raspberry pi zero w. I wonder if the pi zero has a defective wifi module.

I have a pi4 with 1TB extreme SSD and it works great.
To the best of my knowledge, the Pi Zero only works with the SD card, not an SSD.

You can get support on this Discord server Join the teslausb Discord Server!

Mine syncs my sentry and saved clips to my NAS and syncs my music from the NAS to the Teslausb as soon as I hit my WiFi.
In your teslausb_setup_variables.conf file do you have a ' sign before and after your SSID and WIFIPASS?
For example:
export SSID='your_SSID'
export WIFIPASS='your_pass'

I found my problem:
If you have hide extensions of known file types with windows selected (which is the default setting) when you go to save the .conf file on the boot drive it will actually save it as a .conf.txt file

You need to uncheck "hide file extensions" in windows 10.

I found my problem:
If you have hide extensions of known file types with windows selected (which is the default setting) when you go to save the .conf file on the boot drive it will actually save it as a .conf.txt file

You need to uncheck "hide file extensions" in windows 10.

Ah, cool. Yea, I just live in MacOS Terminal so that wouldn't be an issue. Nice work.

Has anyone used Google drive to sync tesla cam footage to, as described in this article:
Using a Pi Zero to store and upload Sentry / Dash cam footage to Google Drive - TeslaEV.co.uk

I am having a problem after this step:
mkdir -p /root/bin
cd /root/bin
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/marcone/teslausb/main-dev/setup/pi/setup-teslausb
chmod +x setup-teslausb
./setup-teslausb

The pi is asking for a variables config file. I did not change the original conf.sample file on my SSD....any suggestions?

Has anyone used Google drive to sync tesla cam footage to, as described in this article:
Using a Pi Zero to store and upload Sentry / Dash cam footage to Google Drive - TeslaEV.co.uk

I am having a problem after this step:
mkdir -p /root/bin
cd /root/bin
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/marcone/teslausb/main-dev/setup/pi/setup-teslausb
chmod +x setup-teslausb
./setup-teslausb

The pi is asking for a variables config file. I did not change the original conf.sample file on my SSD....any suggestions?

I had the same issue last night. Put the SD card back in your PC and remove the .sample from the config file and then re-save it and you should be all set.

I'm stuck on the last step with the mutable link