Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Truck bed Suggestion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This isn't a UPS, box, or any other huge delivery or military vehicle. UPS drivers are also trained to not turn left, I guess Cybertruck drivers should not turn left then.

I never said to look over your shoulder as standard practice. This is practice. This is about taking technology out of the equation and learning about the size of your vehicle with your eyes and brain. To simply go from driving a car to a truck and relying on technology to get the job done is foolish. We aren't backing into loading docks here, we are parking at the store. The odds of a pedestrian using your potential parking spot as a walkway are far less than trying to reverse out of a spot where pedestrians actually are walking. If some guy buys a trailer, I would hope he actually practices and learns how to do it himself before letting the computer do it.

By your logic, we should give 6 year olds calculators to learn math instead of a pencil and paper.

Everyone should learn to drive stick as well, even if their car can drive itself. Learn stick!

Backover accidents happen about 50 times a week in the US.. http://www.kidsandcars.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Backover-fact-sheet-FINAL.pdf Usually in your own driveway.
  1. Statistics

According to KidsAndCars.org, at least 50 children are backed over in the U.S. every week – 48 are treated in hospital emergency rooms and 2 die. In 2015, NHTSA reported 284 fatalities and 12,000 injuries occurred to backovers.*

Thousands of children are seriously injured or killed every year because a driver backing up was not able to see them behind their vehicle. Many elderly people are also backed over by vehicles.
*Source: Non‐Traffic Surveillance: Fatality and Injury Statistics in Non‐Traffic Crashes in 2015, DOT HS 812 515, April 2018

Backover accidents happen about 50 times a week in the US.. http://www.kidsandcars.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Backover-fact-sheet-FINAL.pdf Usually in your own driveway.
  1. Statistics

According to KidsAndCars.org, at least 50 children are backed over in the U.S. every week – 48 are treated in hospital emergency rooms and 2 die. In 2015, NHTSA reported 284 fatalities and 12,000 injuries occurred to backovers.*

Thousands of children are seriously injured or killed every year because a driver backing up was not able to see them behind their vehicle. Many elderly people are also backed over by vehicles.
*Source: Non‐Traffic Surveillance: Fatality and Injury Statistics in Non‐Traffic Crashes in 2015, DOT HS 812 515, April 2018
Uhhh yea? And? You are either backing into a spot or backing out of a spot. Sure you can 'pull through' but that isn't always available. If I am backing into a spot, im out in the lane, I can survey the area. People can see me. If you are backing out of a spot, you cant see, people dont see you. Traffic and pedestrians often have to stop and wait for you. I dont see how this is the better way to go.

Rebuttals:
1. This vehicle has auto park.
2. not an issue, because this truck has auto park and summon
3. Discouraged.- UPS Rule #3 Driving in reverse is discouraged - and this guy would get sent back to boot camp for retraining on how to use his exterior mirrors -- amateur!!! - backing in is the most unsafe way to park, every professional driver knows this. The military requires a ground guide safety EVERY TIME you backup and train their drivers to pull through for the same reason. Pulling through an open spot will reduce the risk of running over a child that you can't see below your bumper or obstacles that fall inside the blind spot. You should never backup unless absolutely necessary (loading docks are pretty accepted by professional driver trainers). Also this car has a backup camera that mitigates the blind spot issues and self parking.
4. True
5. Never look over your shoulder like this amateur is doing. That was taught in the 1960's, use your side mirrors, your center mirror and visually scan. see # 3 above. Do this instead or use auto park
6. True, 1 inch wider than a Model X

Another technique would be to get out of the car (in a very tight spot), and summon the car to where you want it to park in either forward or reverse, while you act as the safety, scanning while standing outside the truck.

In a typical parking spot how do you avoid either backing in or backing out of a spot, especially in a parking deck. I drive a truck now and would love to know.

Reactions: Barklikeadog
He's vertically challenged, never works out, has noodle arms, his thumb is the largest muscle in his body from sitting around changing remote channels, his only workout is 12 sets of 12ozs curls with his dominate arm nightly and has been getting his monies worth at the local all you can eat buffet. Thats why he can't climb in the bed or pull the heavy cooler full of ice over the side (remember he has to do 12 sets of 12 ozs) and that's weight all at once with the ice is too much when you set your training bar so low.

Also how the hell would they sell those things if he looked healthy? I like my technique better - low the air suspension in the back and jack up the air suspension in the front and it slides toward you. Also he would put dents is the tin can body of a truck, when he loses control of the cooler and hits the side of the truck when his noodle arms give out.

oHhH NO the dreaded noodle arm syndrome! :D

• Funny
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Side access, . . . then they lift their truck and put tonneau covers on them. I have not had the side access to my Tundra for years now. (lifted 3.5 inches, larger tires and tonneau cover). We adapt.

No matter how awesome the design, there will always be people who don't like it, or rather, complain about it. I am more than happy to give up the side access for the stainless body and awesome exoskeleton. I personally love the design.

Reactions: Ehninger1212
Side access, . . . then they lift their truck and put tonneau covers on them. I have not had the side access to my Tundra for years now. (lifted 3.5 inches, larger tires and tonneau cover). We adapt.

No matter how awesome the design, there will always be people who don't like it, or rather, complain about it. I am more than happy to give up the side access for the stainless body and awesome exoskeleton. I personally love the design.

Couldn't have said it better myself my friend!

In a typical parking spot how do you avoid either backing or back out of a spot, especially in a parking deck. I drive a truck now an would love to know.

I just put one of the extang covers on
extang_encore.jpg
, love that access so far. It's good to have options.

Of course I'm as tall as the truck, so reaching in the side is easy for me. I had side steps on the last one, didn't like em

• Funny
Reactions: Electruck
I just put one of the extang covers onView attachment 486515 , love that access so far. It's good to have options.

Of course I'm as tall as the truck, so reaching in the side is easy for me. I had side steps on the last one, didn't like em

You are definitely taller than me, haha. But then again, I am not sure even you could get the side access on my truck. I've seen some guys getting 12 inch lift on their truck. They need step ladders to get any access.

You could always lower the CT to get the side access.

I don't think the CT has a power tailgate and I hope they don't make it that way. My reasons for not preferring a power tailgate:
  • It will likely fail before I am done using my truck. I own vehicles for 20 years at a time.
  • It will get damaged. Tailgates take a lot of abuse. They need to stand up to things like a 3000 lbs pallet full of sack-crete getting dropped on it by a poorly-trained teenage forklift driver at Hone Depot.
  • It will likely be too slow. My wife's SUV has a power back hatch. I never use it because its way faster to open and close it manually.
  • It will jam. I sometimes haul things like gravel in my truck. Dirt and gravel is going to finds its way into the hinge mechanism. A simple mechanical hinge where the tailgate can be easily removed to clear jamming rocks is a proven design for truck tailgates.
  • It will take all the satisfaction out of slamming the tailgate closed as the final act of a job well done of loading or unloading the truck.
With all the steel in the tailgate for the ramp, won’t the lift gate without power be challenging? It seems that it could be 2 or 3 times heavier than a gate without the ramp?