Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Truck ICE'ing supercharger spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not long after I bought my M3, I too saw a pickup truck parked at a charging station. It wasn't a Tesla supercharger, it was a single, free charging station provided by a local market. On the way out of the store I was sorely tempted to shove one of the Idaho potatoes I had just bought up the truck's tailpipe. The only thing that kept me from doing it was that I was worried it might cause an accident when the truck stalled. If anyone has an idea of how to safely shame an ICE driver for parking in an EV charging spot, I'd love hear about it.

Reactions: Pkmmte
The Santa Rosa, NM Supercharger has 6 stalls. The first 3 stalls on the left have shared "General Parking". The next 3 stalls (1 plus 2 on other side of Supercharger cabinets) are for Tesla Electric Vehicle Charging only. If you look at the sign in the original picture above, you can see a circle with a number in it. The original photo isn't high enough resolution to see the General Parking time limit but usually it's 30 or 60 minutes. Here's an example from another location showing a time limited General Parking sign:
View attachment 649243

The signs are different if the spots are only for Tesla vehicle charging.
View attachment 649245

If you look at the sign at this location in Santa Rosa, on the right the spot is reserved for Tesla vehicle charging only. The ones on the left, as shown in the original image above, are time limited General Parking.
View attachment 649247

The ones on the left are General Parking, so ICE vehicles are allowed to park there for short periods of time. Of course many ICE drivers don't pay attention to the different signs and park there anyways. Because of this, we always try to use the shared General Parking spots when charging, hoping that ICE vehicles won't use the Tesla Vehicle Charging Only spots and they will remain open for Tesla users.
View attachment 649248

Wow, thank you for pointing this out. I had not noticed that there might be two different signs.

• Informative
Reactions: AudreyHTX1
Not long after I bought my M3, I too saw a pickup truck parked at a charging station. It wasn't a Tesla supercharger, it was a single, free charging station provided by a local market. On the way out of the store I was sorely tempted to shove one of the Idaho potatoes I had just bought up the truck's tailpipe. The only thing that kept me from doing it was that I was worried it might cause an accident when the truck stalled. If anyone has an idea of how to safely shame an ICE driver for parking in an EV charging spot, I'd love hear about it.

Potato sounds good to me. Lots of ‘em.

Reactions: pnwadventures
I might just have backed up and parked behind him, and plugged in to charge. And left Sentry running.

Technically, you could have charged still at either of the adjacent chargers without blocking him in. I'm not saying what he did was okay, but in a pinch, you could still charge. Actually, it would have been cool if cars were charging at both connectors next to him and he witnessed it when he came-out.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
If anyone has an idea of how to safely shame an ICE driver for parking in an EV charging spot, I'd love hear about it.
I carry some of these in my car. Haven't seen anything that egregious enough to warrant issuing but time will tell.
parking_card.jpg

The four I have been too so far haven't had any ICE blocks yet. Most haven't been close enough to warrant people wanting to park in them.

There is a SC near me at a hotel. The hotel is short on parking and it's fairly frequent that some of the spots are occupied by guests.

The supercharger is where the dot shows it is. But look how most of the hotel parking is in the adjacent overflow lot to the South. Not a great setup.

Huntsville SC.jpg