Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Truck Shadow = VO Death Zone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I got into the beta about a week ago and being forcibly switched to vision only, I've noticed that driving into the shadow of a semi truck has a very high hit rate for either phantom braking or a take-over immediately warning. Twice today I was on the shady side of a truck while on FSD (on the freeway) and as soon as I got close to the shadow the car reacted as if I was about to collide with another vehicle. This seems like a pretty easy scenario to replicate, has anyone else observed the same thing?

Reactions: DanCar
It's an easy scenario to replicate, the difficulty is in building a system that properly recognizes objects shaped like trucks while ignoring shadows shaped like trucks and not increasing the chance that the system will plow the car into the actual trucks

Sounds extremely easy from a human perspective but is very different for cameras that solely interpret shapes from a flat image fed through a sensor. The cameras see everything, world modeling is the challenge. Not an expert in the nitty gritty here but I don't even know how to solve that, because it feels like you could run this scenario a million times and be no closer to building in the nuance to reliably distinguish between these things.

Post a video.

People have been reporting this for year(s), even before FSDbeta, and it's never happened for me. I pass trucks all the time on 101, tried replicating, and it's never happened.

To get a 99 safety score I drove ~200 miles on freeways around the Bay Area and never had any phantom braking from passing trucks, under bridges, by shadows from trees.

Since I got into the beta about a week ago and being forcibly switched to vision only, I've noticed that driving into the shadow of a semi truck has a very high hit rate for either phantom braking or a take-over immediately warning. Twice today I was on the shady side of a truck while on FSD (on the freeway) and as soon as I got close to the shadow the car reacted as if I was about to collide with another vehicle. This seems like a pretty easy scenario to replicate, has anyone else observed the same thing?

Post a video.

People have been reporting this for year(s), even before FSDbeta, and it's never happened for me. I pass trucks all the time on 101, tried replicating, and it's never happened.

To get a 99 safety score I drove ~200 miles on freeways around the Bay Area and never had any phantom braking from passing trucks, under bridges, by shadows from trees.
Google brought up an example posted on this forum last year

No speedometer view but you can see the guy go from speeding past the truck to suddenly slowing almost to match it

Following is the thread

Not FSDbeta.

That being said, FSDbeta 10.4 really didn't like cars merging from the right and would brake so I'd be right in the optimum position to get side-swiped. That happened twice on freeways and once on a surface road. Hasn't happened on 10.5 yet.

No speedometer view but you can see the guy go from speeding past the truck to suddenly slowing almost to match it

Following is the thread

Not FSDbeta.

That being said, FSDbeta 10.4 really didn't like cars merging from the right and would brake so I'd be right in the optimum position to get side-swiped. That happened twice on freeways and once on a surface road. Hasn't happened on 10.5 yet.
Oh so you’re not doubting the existence of the scenario, you’re doubting the accuracy of people’s assertion that a pre-existing problem has become worse with vision-only or still exists at all with Beta?

Following is the thread

Is this really phantom braking or some rule to slow down when going next to a truck ?

Looks like the car slowed down after getting next to the truck. I'd think the braking would have been before getting next to the truck - if the shadow looked like an obstacle that needed to be avoided.

The video didn't have much of a pronounced shadow. In so cal where cloud cover is rare, the shadow is much more distinct. I will save a video and post it next time it happens. It's pretty common with trucks and bridges but seems to have gotten worse with vision-only. The radar seemed to mitigate it (duh).

Reactions: mark95476

Following is the thread

Might be related to faulty assessment of distances especially from the side cameras when the object took up the entire view - car thinks the truck is suddenly really close to it and brakes (maybe). Same result different reason I'm sure

EDIT: relevant(ish):

Might be related to faulty assessment of distances especially from the side cameras when the object took up the entire view - car thinks the truck is suddenly really close to it and brakes (maybe). Same result different reason I'm sure

EDIT: relevant(ish):
My experience, without the hard data of the bounding box, is that the car is not conifident about the velocity of the truck, and reacts as if it is entering the lane.

With better weighting of persistence (trucks rarely accelerate laterally very quickly), and better models of different truck types, I would hope this would get better.

I think this is a very similar issue to the undivided highway phantom breaking: the car can’t tell whether the oncoming traffic is about to enter the lane.

The camera is only 720p, and a low end 2016 720p camera at that. Location can be determined with that sensor array, but it may not be up to the task of determining velocity, as small errors in position can make huge errors in velocity.

Reactions: thewishmaster
From OP: "I've noticed that driving into the shadow of a semi truck has a very high hit rate for either phantom braking or a take-over immediately warning."

Video is from a overcast day with no significant shadows.

Is this really phantom braking or some rule to slow down when going next to a truck ?

Looks like the car slowed down after getting next to the truck. I'd think the braking would have been before getting next to the truck - if the shadow looked like an obstacle that needed to be avoided.

It could have been that blue sign on the right that triggered radar.

Seems like something radar would satisfy …..