Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Truckload of Teslas on Vroom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We purchased our 2016 refreshed MS 90D in March at Vroom. It had about 2,000 miles, 3.5 years on warranty, was well equipped, and we paid about $15-20k less than other comparable cars with more miles that were on the market at the time (including CPOs). The process is not for the faint of heart, but with a 7 day return policy and the savings, we chose this path and are very happy with the car. No problems so far.

I periodically check Vroom's site and typically there are a handful of Teslas with higher mileage listed.Today, there are twenty eight 2016/2017 low mileage cars plus several 2013-2015 models (41 cars in total). That's a lot of Teslas!. They are listed as one owner cars.

Any ideas of what these might be? Returned vehicles? Loaners (but if so, why not sell as new inventory with tax rebate?)

We purchased our 2016 refreshed MS 90D in March at Vroom. It had about 2,000 miles, 3.5 years on warranty, was well equipped, and we paid about $15-20k less than other comparable cars with more miles that were on the market at the time (including CPOs). The process is not for the faint of heart, but with a 7 day return policy and the savings, we chose this path and are very happy with the car. No problems so far.

I periodically check Vroom's site and typically there are a handful of Teslas with higher mileage listed.Today, there are twenty eight 2016/2017 low mileage cars plus several 2013-2015 models (41 cars in total). That's a lot of Teslas!. They are listed as one owner cars.

Any ideas of what these might be? Returned vehicles? Loaners (but if so, why not sell as new inventory with tax rebate?)
Why stop at selling as new with illegal tax credit but also roll back odometers and rebadge the cars to p300D (yes I know that doesn't exist). I believe the whitehouse is not yet completely staffed, your creative enough to work there

They do have a bunch!! I am glad to finally meet someone that has purchased from them. They are also listed as Texas Direct Auto and are about 100 miles from me in the Houston area. The last time I visited there were at least 10 Teslas on the lot.

• Informative
Reactions: mmd
They have 11 used Model X's vs Tesla only having 28 for sale. They even had three under $70k. What are the downsides of buying a newer vehicle with the warranty from them vs Tesla? I also find the 2017 Model S with 368 miles very interesting.

Reactions: byeLT4
Why stop at selling as new with illegal tax credit but also roll back odometers and rebadge the cars to p300D (yes I know that doesn't exist). I believe the whitehouse is not yet completely staffed, your creative enough to work there

The way I read it, they were hypothesizing where the cars came from and refuting their own idea:
i.e.:
Hypothesis: Maybe they are loaners?
Rebuttal: But if they were loaner why didn't Tesla sell them as new so the purchaser can get the tax rebate.
(so probably not loaners)
I do not think they were suggesting purchasing them and then claiming them as new.

Edit: correcting tone.

• Love
Reactions: JonathanDandrea
I was not suggesting a conspiracy theory. Just asking if anyone had ideas about the origin of so many low mileage Teslas coming through Vroom all of a sudden. I now know the history of the car we purchased. It came through Tesla - not from auction or the original buyer.

Thanks Mongo for helping to clarify my post :)

I think there was someone from Texas Direct that posted on here a while back when they had a boatload of low-mile, newer ones on eBay too - they said that they had purchased them directly from Tesla, could be SC loaners. A lot of them were "one key, no floor mats" models, which sounds like they came from the factory.

So there is a P90D on there for $100k, essentially my exact car, except a P90D. I passed a year ago on a blue one with all the options and 1800mi) from them for the same price and second-guessed myself about it, apparently, the price hasn't changed much.

I couldn't view the vehicle history document for some reason so I chatted and they sent me a copy. Car was actually stolen at one point int he ownership, then recovered, then sold.

I can't help but think if a car was stolen to the point where you reported it to the DMV and it appears on the title (and had to be re-titled), the car might have had the tar beat out of it. Kind of like a rental car - "drive it's like it's stolen."

That definitely seems like a huge red flag on the car, anyone agree or disagree?

The lady on the chat function on the Vroom site sent it via the chat window. Normally I'm good at rationalizing bad purchases but I couldn't think of any way a car having been stolen and gone long enough they filed it with the DMV, that it could come back without some kind of abuse.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4