Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

True 60 kWh rated range and Toronto to Michigan route planning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I have a lovely S40.

Beginning of this month I completed a trip from Toronto to West Michigan to visit family and attend Electric Forest in Rothbury. I broke up the trip with some overnight stops in Detroit on the way there and back. I charged at Ingersoll (Suncountry Highway), Chatham (Sun), Windsor (Sun), Lansing (HPWC), Grand Rapids (Nissan, shh don't tell)... the trip was probably something like 20 hrs of driving and charging each way.

On my way back, Tesla put the Grand Rapids Supercharger on the map. So, I started considering doing the expensive software update to get use of the other 32% of the battery.

I'm hoping someone in Toronto with a 60 will read this and be able to help me with answers to a couple of questions:

1. The rated range of my S40 is 209km, based on my calculations the rated range of the S60 would be 276km with a range charge, on wikipedia it indicates the EPA range is 335km. What's the actual range for a full range charge?
  2. Run the navigation from Toronto to Muskegon, MI and tell me if the computer believes it possible to make it all the way from Comber SC to Grand Rapids SC or if it indicates that some other charging would be required? Does navigation show estimated charge times at Woodstock SC, Comber SC, etc? If so, what times does it give for charging?

Thanks for reading,

-G

- - - Updated - - -

Typo
based on my calculations the rated range of the S60 would be 307km with a range charge

@kr200 I'm guessing you'll go through Illinois rather then take the ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee :D It would be interesting to know what the advice the nav gives you, at 320 you should be able to get all the way to Comber SC without needing to stop at Woodstock SC. Also Does the nav tell you how long a charge stopover is/would be?

@wayner, @mknox is right, if I could have SC on my 40 without the paying for the range unlock, I totally would've done that and what you suggested as well. I might not be able to make it all the way on SC with the limited range of the 40, but at least every other charging stop would be much faster. I am constrained to J1772 until I pony up for the software unlock. :D

There is (or was) an intermediate step as well. For a little less money, you can unlock CHAdeMO charging without going to full Supercharging. But you still have to upgrade to 60 kWh first.

I looked at that, but I could only find a pair of CHAdeMO chargers of any significant power (I think they were both in Vaughan or something)... Nothing that would enable long distance travel.