Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

True kWh capacity of Plaid battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
I've read conflicting articles that state the usable capacity of the new 100 kwh battery is 95 or 97 depending on the source. I thought that the new 100 was slightly lower capacity than the old 100.

However, on my MXP, the rated line in the energy graph is at exactly 291 wh / mile. With a 100% charge, rated shows 333 miles. This makes usable capacity 96.903 kwh (333 * .291).

So either rated range is not using the right constant or new 100 is actually 97 kwh + whatever the anti bricking size is.

This is the model s forum.
Sure, but the title is on the Plaid 100 kwh battery. I'm just using an X as an example.

It's also worth noting that until recently with the energy graph being re-introduced to the refresh, it was not possible to see what the car's rated wh / mile constant was before.

I see sources that say the Plaid S's wh / mile rating is 238 wh / mile which would put usable pack for the S at 95 kwh. So either the S and X have different packs, or on of the cars' wh / mile rating is off. Can someone with a Plaid S check the graph and report exactly where the rated line is?

Last edited:
New MX LR owner here but battery should be the same right? My rated energy line appeared to be covered up then actual was 282 wh/mi. But 348 epa * 0.282 = 98.1 kWh and I think that it's that big. Our old 2020 371 EPA rated MX LR+ had the energy line covered at 279 wh/mi. If I use that now with the new ones 348 epa I get 348*0.279=97.1 sounds about what others are seeing on here.

I wish SMT worked still on the new one.

New MX LR owner here but battery should be the same right? My rated energy line appeared to be covered up then actual was 282 wh/mi. But 348 epa * 0.282 = 98.1 kWh and I think that it's that big. Our old 2020 371 EPA rated MX LR+ had the energy line covered at 279 wh/mi. If I use that now with the new ones 348 epa I get 348*0.279=97.1 sounds about what others are seeing on here.

I wish SMT worked still on the new one.
But your battery would have to have 98 kwh usable for that to be true.

But your battery would have to have 98 kwh usable for that to be true.
Yup, think the numbers on the new LR are screwed up or just being manipulated and hard to understand. Don't know how Telsa is 'gaming' them, but my old LR+ NEVER got the 103 kWh every one said is should have. Was more Like 100, so a 3kWh buffer. After 27,000 miles SMT showed a 5kWh buffer and a Full Charge or what ever it was called of 95.5, so 90.5 kwH usable. And the usage rate when down at about a 9/10 ratio of percent vs kWh used. The new one is closed to 1:1 ( 1% is 1kWh as if had a true 100kWh battery) but is slightly under, so usable is under that 99.x it is alleged to have. Maybe has close to 100, with a 2kWh buffer or 98 usable? That would match the numbers. SOMETHING happened, as the LR X went down from 371 EPA to 348 and lost a couple hundred LBS, so a smaller battery has to be part of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: sorka
Here's the Energy Graph from my MS Plaid.

IMG_6921.jpeg
Not sure how to interpolate the exact rated range fro this though.

Here's the Energy Graph from my MS Plaid.

View attachment 829753
Not sure how to interpolate the exact rated range fro this though.

The only usefulness in this graph for determining BMS estimation of usable kwh is looking at the rated line and it's hard to tell exactly where it is unless you drive such that your average usage line actually hits rated since the wh / mile is only shown next to actual usage line so you need it to line up exactly with rated. Once you have that, kwh @ 100% = (current rated range / current SOC / 100) * (wh / mile (from graph) / 100).

Reactions: mswlogo
The only usefulness in this graph for determining BMS estimation of usable kwh is looking at the rated line and it's hard to tell exactly where it is unless you drive such that your average usage line actually hits rated since the wh / mile is only shown next to actual usage line so you need it to line up exactly with rated. Once you have that, kwh @ 100% = (current rated range / current SOC / 100) * (wh / mile (from graph) / 100).
I tried to get answer of what is the range by manipulating that formula. Unless I'm reading it wrong, the two "100"s cancel each other. Then to get the range use this: range = SOC*((kWh@100%*100)/(chart Wh/m)). Probably wrong.

I tried to get answer of what is the range by manipulating that formula. Unless I'm reading it wrong, the two "100"s cancel each other. Then to get the range use this: range = SOC*((kWh@100%*100)/(chart Wh/m)). Probably wrong.

Sorry, second 100 should be 1000. Typo.

So for example on my car (266 (current rated miles) / (80 (current charge %) / 100) * (291(wh/mile) / 1000) = 97 kwh.

which can also be (266 (current rated miles) / 80 (current charge %)) * (291(wh/mile) / 10) = 97 kwh.

or

(266 * 291) / (80 * 10)

Last edited:
Did you make your cable or buy it already made?
Bought it

Reactions: zoomer0056
Bought it

Thanks. Cable ordered. The one I made for my 2015 S won't work.