Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

True or False: Tires on a Model S wear out faster due to the increased vehicle weight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard this from someone who owns an EV himself. I guess I will divide my question into the following:

1. Do you think the logic itself is true?
2. How does the tire wear on Tesla compare to other cars?

If 1) is true and the tire wears are comparable to other cars, can we assume the stock tires are more durable?

I think weight is a factor, but driving style would be a bigger reason for excessive wear.

When you compare the weight of a Tesla (4800 lbs) to a BMW 7 (4600 lbs) series they are about the same. Even with the big V8, rarely do BMW 7 series owners take a turn at high speeds or show everyone how fast the car can reach 0-60.

I find myself taking advantage of the power and performance of the car all the time. I would never drive a large 7 series or S class the same way.

Model S also has extreme camber in the rear which causes the insides of the tires to wear very quickly. Also, most acceleration and braking are done by the same (rear) tires. In an ICE braking is mostly done by the fronts and acceleration (at least in BMW/MB analogues) by the rear. Tire rotation is critical on Teslas.

Further, if you have 21's, your tire selection is limited to grippy summer tires that don't last very long. Those with 19's have a wider selection. We're lucky to get 14k miles on our Continentals and I rotate every 3,000 miles. Inside shoulder wears out.

But as others pointed out. Tesla's don't weight that much more then their ICE counterparts.

Without the sound of a labouring engine, acceleration in the Model S has no real negative feedback to the driver to say 'hey, you really put your foot down'. The result is quick starts from lights that just don't feel that quick - until you look in the mirror and see everyone else waaaay behind you. I think that's what really wears the tires. It's just too easy and doesn't seem to be abusing the car.

For RWD vehicles, regenerative braking is in the rear. So the rears will wear out much faster along with the bad camber, and being RWD for acceleration. That's why the fronts last much longer. The rear does everything. Regenerate and accelerate with bad camber. The AWD regenerate with all 4 wheels which spreads the wear better.

So what would the recommended interval to extend the life of the tires?

Most articles I find on the subject including tesla manual recommend every 5000 to 6000 and doing a cross swap.

I have been keeping a close eye on my tires and looking for any sign of uneven wear. So I'm looking for some advice from owners that have had over 20,000 out of their 21" summer tires.

For RWD vehicles, regenerative braking is in the rear. So the rears will wear out much faster along with the bad camber, and being RWD for acceleration. That's why the fronts last much longer. The rear does everything. Regenerate and accelerate with bad camber. The AWD regenerate with all 4 wheels which spreads the wear better.

Wow, Gonna avoid going down hill.

I have a RWD car and my 19" Primacies are tracking to last 40,000 miles. I'm at 34,000 miles currently.

Let's just say if I was a tire I wouldn't want to be mounted on a Model S.

Especially not my Model S.

Heavy
Instant Torque
Driver with Next Gen Seats
Lots of Corners.

I also wonder about Auto-Steer. I've noticed that it does a lot more steering corrections than I'd do. I can only imagine that adds to the wear of the tire.