TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

True or False: Tires on a Model S wear out faster due to the increased vehicle weight

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Ronist, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Ronist

Ronist Member

I heard this from someone who owns an EV himself. I guess I will divide my question into the following:

1. Do you think the logic itself is true?
    2. How does the tire wear on Tesla compare to other cars?

If 1) is true and the tire wears are comparable to other cars, can we assume the stock tires are more durable?

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Not sure about the weight but the stock tires (all seasons) definitely last longer than the summer compound tires on the 21" rims.

3. MileHighMotoring

Tires wear out quickly on EVs in general because they have so much torque off the line. Leafs go through tires every 10-15k miles.

4. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I would think it also depends on the driving style. Some people on TMC get 10k, others get 40k.

5. MileHighMotoring

Well yes absolutely. But the cars have so much zip off the line I think many people enjoy that and don't realize it's removing rubber each time. I'm guilty of this, my first EV went through tires far faster than I anticipated. With the Tesla I'm much more conservative.

6. David99

David99 Active Member

My Michelin tires lasted 60k miles. The Goodyear just 40k. It all depends on your driving style. Weight sure adds in, but clearly driving style and how the rubber is made makes all the difference.

7. m2140

m2140 Member

I think weight is a factor, but driving style would be a bigger reason for excessive wear.

When you compare the weight of a Tesla (4800 lbs) to a BMW 7 (4600 lbs) series they are about the same. Even with the big V8, rarely do BMW 7 series owners take a turn at high speeds or show everyone how fast the car can reach 0-60.

I find myself taking advantage of the power and performance of the car all the time. I would never drive a large 7 series or S class the same way.

8. strider

strider Active Member

Model S also has extreme camber in the rear which causes the insides of the tires to wear very quickly. Also, most acceleration and braking are done by the same (rear) tires. In an ICE braking is mostly done by the fronts and acceleration (at least in BMW/MB analogues) by the rear. Tire rotation is critical on Teslas.

Further, if you have 21's, your tire selection is limited to grippy summer tires that don't last very long. Those with 19's have a wider selection. We're lucky to get 14k miles on our Continentals and I rotate every 3,000 miles. Inside shoulder wears out.

But as others pointed out. Tesla's don't weight that much more then their ICE counterparts.

9. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I'm going to get 40,000 miles out of my 19" Primacy tires. I'd say that's pretty damned good.

10. muleferg

muleferg Member

I have 11,609 miles on my S. I'm 83 years young wishing to get to 40,000 on my primacy tars (old English)
    HeHaw

Mule

11. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

Yes, Teslas go through tires faster than a lighter car. But an equivalent S-Class would be about the same wear. I think a lot of it depends on driving style. I have the 21" Contisilents and still have 50% tread left at 22,000 miles.

- K

12. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

Without the sound of a labouring engine, acceleration in the Model S has no real negative feedback to the driver to say 'hey, you really put your foot down'. The result is quick starts from lights that just don't feel that quick - until you look in the mirror and see everyone else waaaay behind you. I think that's what really wears the tires. It's just too easy and doesn't seem to be abusing the car.

13. pimp-boy

pimp-boy Member

For RWD vehicles, regenerative braking is in the rear. So the rears will wear out much faster along with the bad camber, and being RWD for acceleration. That's why the fronts last much longer. The rear does everything. Regenerate and accelerate with bad camber. The AWD regenerate with all 4 wheels which spreads the wear better.

14. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

False. 27000 miles on my stock tires and expecting a lot more.
    Tires should be rotated to equalize wear - most cars.
    ~Larry

15. m2140

m2140 Member

So what would the recommended interval to extend the life of the tires?

Most articles I find on the subject including tesla manual recommend every 5000 to 6000 and doing a cross swap.

I have been keeping a close eye on my tires and looking for any sign of uneven wear. So I'm looking for some advice from owners that have had over 20,000 out of their 21" summer tires.

16. muleferg

muleferg Member

Wow, Gonna avoid going down hill.

17. pimp-boy

pimp-boy Member

I'll add in then STAGGERED wheels since that is what I have and majority of the braking is done in the rear.

18. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I had the factory dial back the camber to the minimum factory spec and it helped a lot with my rear tires. Much more even and longer wear. I have not noticed any change in handling and I am fairly aggressive at cornering.

19. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I have a RWD car and my 19" Primacies are tracking to last 40,000 miles. I'm at 34,000 miles currently.

20. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Let's just say if I was a tire I wouldn't want to be mounted on a Model S.

Especially not my Model S.

Heavy
    Instant Torque
    Driver with Next Gen Seats
    Lots of Corners.

I also wonder about Auto-Steer. I've noticed that it does a lot more steering corrections than I'd do. I can only imagine that adds to the wear of the tire.