Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

true range (kWh) of a September 2019 Long range vs the entry level 2022 M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed with ACarneiro range in miles depends on so many things, but I guess OPs implication may be relative range when external factors are equal, which I think would boil down to battery pack size, chemistry, and power train efficiency (?).
My understanding is 2019 LR battery back is 72kWh NCA (with a recommendation not to frequently charge past 90%), whilst the new 'standard' M3 is 60kWh(?) LFP (happily charges to 100%). The 2019 M3 also doesn't have a heat pump. In my experience my average energy consumption (kWh/mile) is ~270 in LR and ~240 in 2019 SR+ (maybe because in LR the fun pedal is more fun).
I guess 2019 LR will have the edge when at 100%.

I disagree, this is a reasonable question. Drive the two cars on the same day in the same conditions and what's the difference between the two. No need for any other variables to compare the two.

BelfastEV I recently made the same consideration to replace my 2019 LR, while it's not fully scientific I used ABetterRoutePlanner for a journey I do a few times a year to visit family.

In the 2019 this takes 8h35min, and personal experience is that is doable if there aren't issues on the roads.
1644051870479.png

If I change the car to be a 2022 Standard Range (or whatever they are called) its 8h52

1644052158862.png

So 20 mins over a 485 mi journey, that's very little indeed.

Also to note that the new LR with the 82KW battery only shaves 10mins off the older LR time, so also not very much.

Now, clearly I'm driving this journey every day, but the journeys I am driving every day are well within the range of either.

According to ABRP is you could do 100% - 0% in the new Standard Range with default conditions you'll get 205miles, in the 2019 LR about 247 miles. Neither is realistic, but in comparison the SR is 85% of the LR.

Personally I'm trading LR for a new LR, because I like the car I have and like how it drives.

The whole you can charge the LFP back to 100% but not the LR is a irrelevant point as you can charge the LR to 100% when you need it. If you need to do a long trip, just charge the car to 100%, that’s what it’s there for. Your battery isn’t going to suddenly suffer material degradation if you use all its available capacity on those every now and then trips.

If you re-ran the above trip but with the LR starting at 100% it would be even faster.

The old LR will have a longer range, but not much. Below is what you can expect on a worst winter, best summer scenarios, driven sensibly within the speed limits with the HVAC on. You’d need to do that on a single run though, lots of short journeys tend to sap more range.

2022 SR: 200-250
2019 LR: 220-270

In reality you’ll be sitting somewhere in the middle of those figures for most of the year.

The LR is obviously the faster car, it will charge faster if you need to visit a rapid charger but will be the older spec so will be missing features the newer car has.

I agree with Grilla its a reasonable question, but also one that probably has less relevance than you think.

If you just go off the WLTP ratings, the 2019 in the UK was 348 miles, the new Standard range is 305 miles. In practice you'd be lucky to get close to either, but thats the sort of ratio you're looking at. Another consideration is you'll almost never want to take your car down to 0, so assuming you'll only ever use the top 90%, the figures are 315 v 275 - and that extra 40 miles starts becoming more significant.

On a journey, and using V3 superchargers, the LR will however charge faster reducing the total journey time (as Grillas data shows).

But I would argue your decision would be better based on whether you feel a slightly older car but with AWD, premium audio, faster supercharging etc are more of a benefit than the newer car with the later changes like heat pump and heated steering wheel.

If choosign between the two I’d pick the RWD new over a used 2019 - also factor in warranty length and overall slightly more wear and tear

If I owned the 2019 I don’t think I’d change necessarily - the heat pump gives more efficiency but nothing really that is materially different in the driving experience or features (maybe if the matrix lights ever get activated that could be useful)

Reactions: GT_M3 and Kurokawa
Not exactly a helpful post, while technically accurate I'd be surprised if anybody in the UK (and its the UK sub forum) didn't know what the OP meant
It is important to know the difference between kW (a unit of power) vs. kWh (a unit of energy) and to use the right units. They're totally different metrics.

Otherwise, it can lead to total cluster#$%$% like Model 3 to have <60kW Supercharging?. Notice the confusion there and increasing frustration like at the below?

If we're going to talk about electricity, can we at least use the right units? Using the wrong units only causes confusion, esp. to newbies.

Reactions: ACarneiro