Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

True range of 19" sport wheels vs Aeros?

omar

Apr 5, 2016
bay area
Hello all,

has anyone exhausted their range on a road trip or any commute with the 19" wheels? There's videos of road trips with people getting close to the EPA rated range of 310 miles with the aeros. I'm just curious if the 19" wheels truly are a 10% difference (30+ miles!!).

Anyone with empirical experience please let us know?

Thanks!

Reactions: tanner

xav-

May 26, 2016
Orange County CA
Only empirical evidence (sort of) is that the aero covers increase range by 4 percent. So I guess it's conceivable that range increases by 10 percent compared to 19 inch wheels.

I personally made the decision to get the sport wheels based on looks mainly but also based on performance. I saw pretty bad numbers especially on braking on the track test performed by edmunds (133 feet) with the 18 inch wheels. Motortrend got 119 feet with the 19. To give you an idea, a 2017 Nissan Altima stops from 60 to 0 in 121 feet.

That said.. we are really lacking real world testing unfortunately. There hasn't been any repeatable test performed on both set of wheels in similar conditions.

Reactions: omar

dhu1

Mar 9, 2017
Berkeley
I just picked up my wife's model 3 which is 18 aeros and I have a model 3 with 19 wheels. We both drove back from the factory delivery center together along the same route, same weather conditions, and pretty much the same traffic conditions (she was tailing me almost the entire way). On a 38 mile drive, my 19 inch expended 194 Wh/mi, while the model 3 with aeros expended 182 Wh/mi. About a 6-7% difference. I'm sure if we were going faster that difference would have been closer to 10%. So the 18 in aeros do indeed provide better efficiency.

Stretch2727

Engineer and Car Nut
Nov 8, 2015
East Coast, USA
I just picked up my wife's model 3 which is 18 aeros and I have a model 3 with 19 wheels. We both drove back from the factory delivery center together along the same route, same weather conditions, and pretty much the same traffic conditions (she was tailing me almost the entire way). On a 38 mile drive, my 19 inch expended 194 Wh/mi, while the model 3 with aeros expended 182 Wh/mi. About a 6-7% difference. I'm sure if we were going faster that difference would have been closer to 10%. So the 18 in aeros do indeed provide better efficiency.

Either way this is crazy efficient with range over 370 miles.

dhu1

Mar 9, 2017
Berkeley
Either way this is crazy efficient with range over 370 miles.
For reference sake doing the same commute (northbound on I-880), my 19" would probably expend close to 220 Wh/mi and in the other direction 250 Wh/mi. My average lifetime is 243 Wh/mi with close to 2000 miles. So with the same commute using the 18in, I would expect closer to 220 Wh/mi, which equates to about 340 mile range. I believe 240 Wh/mi is the metric they use to convert for rated range.

How would you compare the ride quality on the different wheels when going over bumps and bad pavement?

dhu1

Mar 9, 2017
Berkeley
How would you compare the ride quality on the different wheels when going over bumps and bad pavement?
I actually posted my thoughts on another thread. But in anycase, the 18 in is definitely a more comfortable ride. Handling is good, but you certainly don't feel it as much as the 19in. Best way to analogize for those who had a BMW, the 18in is in 'normal' mode, while 19in is in sport mode. I am looking to get the unplugged springs to get the best of both worlds for my 19in. But 18in are perfect for my wife who is doing much more city driving and more susceptible to potholes and uneven city streets.

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
I personally made the decision to get the sport wheels based on looks mainly but also based on performance. I saw pretty bad numbers especially on braking on the track test performed by edmunds (133 feet) with the 18 inch wheels. Motortrend got 119 feet with the 19. To give you an idea, a 2017 Nissan Altima stops from 60 to 0 in 121 feet.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with the wheels.

Braking distance has to do with tires and the surface you're stopping on- both of which were different between the two measurements you're trying to compare.

Remember- brakes don't stop cars- tires do. If you want better braking distance stickier tires are the way to do it.

I'd be pretty surprised if, tires being equal, the 19s weren't either equal or inferior to the 18s in every performance test one could put them through, in addition to riding rougher and offering less rim protection from potholes and such (on top of worse mileage for weight).... indeed, a few years ago Car and Driver tested the same tires using the same (model) wheel in various sizes on the same car (not an M3 obviously, but physics is physics)- and found 18s met or beat 19s across the board (better mileage, better acceleration, better skidpad, identical braking distance)

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak

Gen3Joe

Mar 19, 2016
United States

Braking distance has to do with tires and the surface you're stopping on- both of which were different between the two measurements you're trying to compare.

Remember- brakes don't stop cars- tires do. If you want better braking distance stickier tires are the way to do it.

I'd be pretty surprised if, tires being equal, the 19s weren't either equal or inferior to the 18s in every performance test one could put them through, in addition to riding rougher and offering less rim protection from potholes and such (on top of worse mileage for weight).... indeed, a few years ago Car and Driver tested the same tires using the same (model) wheel in various sizes on the same car (not an M3 obviously, but physics is physics)- and found 18s met or beat 19s across the board (better mileage, better acceleration, better skidpad, identical braking distance)

^ This. And for that reason I plan to swap my tires out on my 18s soon after I take delivery. Best of both worlds... stickier tires for handling and aeros for improved range. Probably lose a little range though over the stock tires due to increased rolling resistance but I think splitting the difference there will be worth it.

BTW great thread thanks for starting it Omar!

alseTrick

May 17, 2016
Florida, USA
  • Informative
Reactions: omar

xav-

May 26, 2016
Orange County CA

That’s true. Back to the numbers though breaking distance 119 vs 133 feet + better looks (disclaimer I have not seen the 18 inch wheels without the Aeros in person)

I get that one could replace the 18 inch tires and likely get same numbers but it’s a pain in the ass. Not everyone wants two set of tires and not everyone likes to waste time selling stuff on eBay or Craigslist especially considering that the sport wheels are only $1,500 extra which is really a drop in a bucket on a $55k car.

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
That’s true. Back to the numbers though breaking distance 119 vs 133 feet + better looks (disclaimer I have not seen the 18 inch wheels without the Aeros in person)

I get that one could replace the 18 inch tires and likely get same numbers but it’s a pain in the ass. Not everyone wants two set of tires and not everyone likes to waste time selling stuff on eBay or Craigslist especially considering that the sport wheels are only $1,500 extra which is really a drop in a bucket on a $55k car.

Yeah but either size wheel comes with all-season tires.

They call them that because they suck, in all seasons, compared to dedicated summer or winter tires.

As others have mentioned they plan to swap out the factory tires for ones that don't suck immediately on getting the car anyway, so the fact the 19s come with "less crappy" all seasons isn't really a compelling reason to spend more than 4 vastly better 18" tires cost (especially if you can recoup most of that by selling the all seasons, but even if you can't you still spend less, and get a ton better tires/performance, swapping PS4s onto the 18s than buying the 19s and using the all seasons)

• Funny
Reactions: TT97

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC