Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

True Story or Not?: "Frunk opened at 115mph and caused $20k damage on brand new P85"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say he's presented enough reasonableness here to make his claim almost plausible, but there are still a few issues that stand out:
1) 17 year old being given an extended and unaccompanied test drive. I haven't heard of anyone other than reporters being given that, let alone 17 year olds.
2) he still claims there was no warning that the frunk was open, this seems highly suspect.
3) he says it was Tesla's fault (no warnings) but that his insurance paid (your average insurance company is pretty adverse to paying out if you weren't at fault, so them paying out is pretty much an admission that you messed up.)
4) He now claims to own a P85D, but refuses any proof, even a mostly anonymized window sticker, I understand not wanting to be identifiable, but I suspect there is a way to prove this one without giving away too much personal information.

Those 4 still lead me to be less likely to believe this story, the middle 2 points especially. Apologies are nice, but that doesn't cover continued activities. As I said, his recent apology is more likely to help me believe him, but even his adjusted story still just doesn't ring true.

A: They normally don't ever give under 21 y/os extended test drives but after waiting and showing them my financial situation, calling my insurance company to verify I was a listed driver, the manager approved it. They allowed me to take it for 2-3 hours as they need the car back for future appointments.

B&C : I spoke to my insurance and told them that it's not of insurance companies to just bluntly accept liability, she told me "since this was a comp claim we didn't need to put fault on anyone", I told her that I expected this to go into suborgation and fight it out in court, she told me that since they couldn't prove that it was mechanical failt, I asked if they inspected the lathed she just said "I was informed it wasn't damaged".

D: I own a P85d but I don't want it being recognized because I know how these members have said things from the beginning, if black out the vin, the color, date, etc... What will prove its mine? It could still be a picture of my friends car.

Last edited:
A: They normally don't ever give under 21 y/os extended test drives but after waiting and showing them my financial situation, calling my insurance company to verify I was a listed driver, the manager approved it. They allowed me to take it for 2-3 hours as they need the car back for future appointments.

B&C : I spoke to my insurance and told them that it's not of insurance companies to just bluntly accept liability, she told me "since this was a comp claim we didn't need to but fault on anyone", I told her that I expected this to go into suborgation and fight it out in court, she told me that since they couldn't prove that it was mechanical failt, I asked if they inspected the lathed she just said "I was informed it wasn't damaged".

D: I own a P85 but I don't want it being recognized because I know how these members have said things from the beginning, if black out the vin, the color, date, etc... What will prove its mine? It could still be a picture of my friends car.

A. That doesn't sound plausible at all, and if true...I bet they don't do that anymore.

B&C. So...you talked to them today? Because you said, as of last night, you hadn't kept up with it...

D. I thought you said it was a P85D...

A. That doesn't sound plausible at all, and if true...I bet they don't do that anymore.

B&C. So...you talked to them today? Because you said, as of last night, you hadn't kept up with it...

D. I thought you said it was a P85D...

My bad i did mean P85D

Yes i called my rep back just after your message to see what she says.

HERE
44.PNG
HAPPY?
I also asked her to send me pictures the investigator took.

If (big if!) Tesla loaned the car to him, he still had to ignore the very obnoxious audible warnings, and the dash display. His insurance company doesn't believe him that these features didn't work, so why should we? (doesn't matter what type of claim it is, they'll try to recoup their money if they think it's at all possible!) Tesla also obviously didn't believe him based on their logs, or they wouldn't have asked the insurance company for the money either.

I'm afraid that at best this guy can convince us he had the car and did the damage, but I will never believe it was a car failure rather than a failure of the person behind the wheel based on what's been posted so far.

My insurance agent said there was no apparent damage to latch of the car based on what she was told. How do you suppose it went? I got out of my drive way blind and deaf, then continued drives until the hood flipped open. Is it possible the latch was not closed properly, definitely, but why were there no audible or visual warning? Let's say it was closed properly, how could of I triggered the latch to realize while driver?
here is what I think happened, I opened the hood and closed just enough for it to grab the first latch and trigger the sensor, but not enough for it to be secure, and then I drove and it got lossend by the air force
I'm not saying,that it's not my fault, I'm saying it's not entirely my fault, I think it's 50% my fault, 50% the latches fault. I should have double check the hood before driving.

ItwasME: So here's the problem -- you started out very aggressively attacking Tesla, then you apparently had a change of heart and decided to come clean. At this point it's your word against -- well, your other words. There is no way for any of us to know what really happened, other than you. I for one am accepting that what you have recently presented is the truth. There are those on the forum who will never, no matter what you say, do, or present, ever believe what you say because a relationship that begins as a lie can never end in complete trust. That's just how it is.

So my advice is to drop this thread, stop replying to any haters, naysayers, or people who had their feelings hurt, and just move on. They will always find fault in anything you say or do at this point, so save yourself the drama and enjoy your new Tesla. Get a new screen name on the forum and start over. Leave the past behind you.

So here's yet another member with more time on his hands than common sense (and at my age! Proof some of us never grow up....) who's also been sucked into this thread.

Meaning other readers get my take on this.

I believe OP now is telling the truth, mostly - at least on the parts that count. As for some of the others, like a million miles, and like getting all the funds necessary to put him where he is now solely through his own hard work - well, that's not quite so important, is it? I mean....it's no more harmful than a certain Princess claiming that she won a pony, right?